Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Burnout...what helps you?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by commymommy, Dec 19, 2001.

1. commymommy

commymommy *reformed commymommy*

Pre-Medical
    My husband recently finished fellowship and began a "real" job...he began feeling the burnout during fellowship, but it has continued past training...he is even considering a career switch after all of this...what would some suggestions be from you all that I could do to help him out?

He talks a lot now about going back and getting at least an MS in history, so I've encouraged him to take a course a semester thinking this will help him strike a balance between "work" and "play".

Have any of you ever experienced this and what kind of things helped you through it all?

thanks in advance,

Kris

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Voxel

Moderator Emeritus

I have seen this syndrome in what I call "the perpetual student". In the old days before tight GME funding, people would do 2-3 residencies and/or 2-3 fellowships. If he misses being a student, try to get a job at an academic place so that he can teach residents and medical students. On a practical note, if he has finished a fellowship, he probably does well financially and has kids to support. It would be a financial disaster to get a MS in history and try to get a job doing what?? On the being happy end, if he is truly miserable and knows for sure what would make him happy, then maybe it is time to do what's best. However, this is hard know, and the grass is always greener on the other side. When it comes down to it, medicine is a highly noble profession, but it also has its fair share of the daily routine. Also, a lot of happiness comes from within, I know some people that may never be happy (always whining) no matter what their job will be. Perhaps he needs to develop a hobby, enjoy family life, or take a vacation. My 2cents.

4. jen628

jen628 Member

a good ssri might do the trick too ;)

5. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member

He may just need you to slap him around a bit. Remind him of what he loves about medicine and help him pursue it. Kindly remind him of his obligations to you and his children as well. Sometimes, a husbands just gotta suck it up and support his family.

My .05 cents of uninformed advice.