Burnt out during the gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I'm feeling this way but I'm working as a scribe at a doctors office and I'm coming to the point where I hate every moment of it. The bosses are unfair. I do very little and feel like the doctors just boss us around. I used to enjoy interacting with the patients but I'm starting to not enjoy the relationship any longer. Everything just seems monotonous at this point and ive been at it for about 9 months. Now, I have already been accepted to med school and am still excited to start, but I'm not sure if this is a bad sign for my future. Anyone else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

So your question basically is....

medschool or nah?

Right?

Reactions: 1 user
Empathy burnout is pretty common, you will probably feel this way even after becoming a doctor, the bad guys will just be the payors or the administrators.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why I'm feeling this way but I'm working as a scribe at a doctors office and I'm coming to the point where I hate every moment of it. The bosses are unfair. I do very little and feel like the doctors just boss us around. I used to enjoy interacting with the patients but I'm starting to not enjoy the relationship any longer. Everything just seems monotonous at this point and ive been at it for about 9 months. Now, I have already been accepted to med school and am still excited to start, but I'm not sure if this is a bad sign for my future. Anyone else feel this way?

If you afford it, quit your job and travel. You'll come back to med school recharged and with a newer perspective on life.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked as a scribe for a brief moment. The work can be monotonous. Being a doctor is much different than being a scribe. You have come a long way to get accepted to medical school. I hope you do what is best for you!

You're anxious like the rest of us. I used to love love going to work, but now it's just helping my spending habit. You outgrew your current position and are ready to go learn some new things, it happens.

Last edited:
If you afford it, quit your job and travel. You'll come back to med school recharged and with a newer perspective on life.

I'm quitting in about a month. I was supposed to stay longer, but I can't handle it anymore. Even the docs have told me to relax and leave because they know the office is messed up.

You're anxious like the rest of us. I used to love love going to work, but now it's just helping my spending habit. You outgrew your current position and is ready to go learn some new things, it happens.

Yes, I feel like I'm not learning anything and need to do something a bit more.

I'm quitting in about a month. I was supposed to stay longer, but I can't handle it anymore. Even the docs have told me to relax and leave because they know the office is messed up.

Yes, I feel like I'm not learning anything and need to do something a bit more.
If you like research, I suggest you reach out to doctors directly. Who knows, maybe you could get your name on a paper!