1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Burnt Out M1's

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Tech, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Tech

Tech Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am in the middle of physio right now and don't give two ****s about what going on. I don't know why I come to class so early. I just can't wait till the summer. We have block testing so it will be smooth sailing for another month. I love cramming it all in at the last week. Its great if you want to get an A or B.

Is it worth doing summer research if you are not aiming for ophthalmology or dermatology because I just want to sit on my butt.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. What fields are you interested in? I'd consider doing research just for the experience, and honestly, it really doesn't hurt to have on your app/resume/CV when you apply for ANY residency that's semi-competitive. Nowdays, seems like many applicants' credentials are generally very strong.

4. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wasn't burned-out first year, but after doing summer research, I was pretty burned-out as a second year.... which is really bad, because I think it hurt me on Step I. My advice is to sit on your butt or spend the summer someplace tropical doing research or learning a language. Many of my classmates even got our school to pay for it!

5. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm not burned out as we hit the home stretch of first year...I AM BORED TO TEARS!!! Am I the only one who is finding most of the stuff we learn ast first year emd students mostly disinteresting? :thumbdown:

6. opus03

opus03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Definitely not, I can hardly sit through a single class without falling asleep anymore....hopefully the material next year will be more interesting to me.
    To the OP, do whatever you want with your last summer. If you are interested in research, then you should go for it...otherwise relax and enjoy yourself. ;)

7. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!
    7+ Year Member

I'm burned out of learning stuff that bores me.

Its interesting the first time through, but going through the material the next couple of times to get all the dumb details, SUCKS. I'm so sick of it.

Why didn't God grant me with a photographic memory? :(

8. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

The sad thing is, I really don't think it's boring. I just can't stand to look at my notes any more. The very THOUGHT of studying makes me want to run off to Cancun and hide in a rented cabana by the beach.

9. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm semi-burntout :eek: ...BUT I love med school. Isn't it amazing how much we've learned in one short year!!!! :D

10. omarsaleh66

omarsaleh66 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i love med school, im so pissed that we are almost done. Im gonna be goin to miami and vegas this summer. Hopefully ill get so ****ed up so i can go to the ER and shadow some docs while im there

peace
    Omar

11. aerial

aerial Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, DW (btw, I loved that cartoon!), you read my mind! I asked myself that question everyday for the past 6 months. Not only that, but I have threatened to drop out and go to grad school at least once or twice a week as a result of the constant questioning. Luckily, pathology has saved me from making such a rash decision. I can once again use that part of my brain that enjoys thinking critically! Actually, its only been a 40% recovery... and if by next year it doesnt get to at least 90% I think I'm going to be one of those people who regrets having gone to med school... :scared:

12. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

LOL nice. :laugh:

13. Enkindu

Enkindu one hand clapping
    7+ Year Member

I wish someone had pithed me before this year... The creative, inquisitive part of me that loves to learn has been beaten into submission and banished to some dark corner of my mind. I'm so sick of choking down phonebook-sized volumes of esoterica that simply walking through the doors of the library has become painful. I know we have to have baseline understanding in biochem/neuro/phys/anatomy/histo/etc... but DEAR GOD please grant me some context. My only respite has been our school's great clinical training/mentorship classes. Everything I encounter in a clinical setiing I am able to gleefully research on my own, in depth.

Perhaps I should have looked more carefully at schools heavy on PBL.

I can't wait until 3rd year... I don't care if I'm awake for weeks at a time. Every real job I've ever had required sick hours... at least I'll be operating in the real world.

Ahh.. thanks for letting me rant. I shall now keep on keeping on, like a bird that flew...

14. dr. deez

dr. deez Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am bored and sick of this **** TOO!

15. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm so burnt out, I just can't make myself study anymore. I just can't. I'm so burnt, I must look crispy. Which is not good because my final physio exam is nxt Friday. :(

16. orthoman5000

orthoman5000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well I'm burnt out but it's almost over, OSCE tomorrow morning and Physiology NBME on Friday and then it's 12 weeks of vacation (from school at least). Actually I have got to get a job, maybe I don't want school to end :D

17. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

I'm hereby taking the next two days off school, and dedicating them completely to myself. A haircut, exercise, manicure, pedicure, clean clothes, a balanced checkbook and a clean house are what I need most right now. Physiology is just going to have to wait.

Although I do have to study for my Epidemiology final somewhere in there. That's not too bad though. At least it's not med school.

18. Jaded Soul

Jaded Soul Proloxil > Zoloft
    7+ Year Member

It does get more interesting, but it doesn't get any easier. Wait until you get to third year when you find out you still have to study after putting in a full 10-12+ hour day. Makes going to lecture for 4-6 hours a day seem like cake.

19. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    This must be where pass/fail really helps....

I'm training for a triathlon and playing golf three/four days a week, attending lectures when I feel like it, and just keeping up with the material with a few hours each day. Medical school feels like a vacation; of course, I'm not scoring 90+, but I'm hanging in there in the 80s, a little above the average, and at the end of the year I'll just be "P" along with most of my class. As annoying as medical school is at times, those of us who have been out in the working world know most jobs are far more draining and soul-sucking than this....

20. Stinger86

Stinger86 Intern year? Ha!
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    First year just sucks. Class at my school is so bad, I nearly dropped out and pursued pharmacy school in spite. It's a good thing I didn't though, because pharmacology is just as obnoxious.

Second year is more time-intensive, but the information is much more interesting to learn about. If first year lectures sucked, chances are second year lectures will too, but that's what skipping is for. Right?

I'd rather read about rashes and arthritis all day than how enzyme 25q knocks up some pawn protein so it can continue on through some 50-stage pathway. Blah

Enjoy your summer while you still have one. They pretty much go extinct after the first year.

21. orthoman5000

orthoman5000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Stinger,

I hear you about our school (I'm the poster formerly known as BiggMann79, but I can't log in under that name for some reason). It's almost over though, physiology NBME on Friday and I'm an M2. You definitely do not want to do pharmacy. My roommate is in pharmacy school and he hates it. Their physiology class is mindless regurgitation without any problem solving and he's shown me some of their medicinal chemistry and it just like some crazy organic chemistry on steroids.

22. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!
    7+ Year Member

I'm doing the same thing this weekend. Can hardly wait. just have to surrive imm and neuro written and practical btwn now and then.

getting my hair done and pedicure while giving the finger to micro on Saturday :D