Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Each student is required to answer all of the following questions.
Describe your understanding of the osteopathic profession, and discuss how the principles and philosophy of osteopathic medicine would influence your future practice of medicine, as a potential graduate of an osteopathic medical school.

Why do you think BCOM is the perfect place for you and what qualities do you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school?

What was your worst grade in college and explain what, if anything, you did to address the issue.

Answer one (1) of the following questions:
Discuss ethical behavior in a strictly secular context.
Defend the position that physicians should administer lethal injection in states where the death penalty is still applied.

You are a family practitioner in rural America and have strong beliefs against abortion for any reason. A 16 year-old girl comes to you, pregnant as a result of incest, telling you she wants to have an abortion and doesn’t know what to do or where to go. Define how you see your role in this situation.

Of the following individuals, who do you consider is the worst criminal and why: Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong or Joel Steinberg.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

do you guys think there is going to be a biased towards the students applying from the midwest? or southwest?

thanks

do you guys think there is going to be a biased towards the students applying from the midwest? or southwest?

thanks

I think so. This school reminds me of PNWU in some sorts. It won't be a hard requirement to take a specific amount of instate applicants because they're a private inst. but just being in that region may make it a little biased.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
any thoughts on me having a shot at this school? feeling super low about my chances anywhere applying super early and broad but I like Burrell, however Im from VA

MCAT 21, 2nd try 24 (7PS , 8V, 9B)

Cum GPA: 3.37 (post bacc included) Science: ~3.30 (waiting on some final grades from this semester...)

any thoughts on me having a shot at this school? feeling super low about my chances anywhere applying super early and broad but I like Burrell, however Im from VA

MCAT 21, 2nd try 24 (7PS , 8V, 9B)

Cum GPA: 3.37 (post bacc included) Science: ~3.30 (waiting on some final grades from this semester...)
Go for it. Your stats are "meh" (which you seem to know) but not worryingly or embarrassingly bad. Plus this is a new school. You just might have a shot.

Go for it. Your stats are "meh" (which you seem to know) but not worryingly or embarrassingly bad. Plus this is a new school. You just might have a shot.
thanks for the input! I do have a 3.9 post bacc GPA, do you think that makes me anymore competitive? lol

at least 32 semester units (2 semesters worth ) of difficult science courses like ochem biochem molecular bio immunology virology will definitely qualify your 3.9 gpa

my post bacc courses are in only 18 credits so far but all upper lvl (medical micro, biochem, developmental etc.) are you thinking I should take more? and would that even help much given the app cycle starts in june?
at least 32 semester units (2 semesters worth ) of difficult science courses like ochem biochem molecular bio immunology virology will definitely qualify your 3.9 gpa

No not at this point esp if you're trying to get in asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they are retakes that will replace horrid grades then def worth it

so just was in contact with the admissions director and she emailed me saying that they were expecting to accept people with somewhere around a 27 mcat....what....:bang:

Reactions: 1 user
Schools that are close to California tend to have higher stat average matriculants. Look at RVU for an example.

I am on the fence about applying here. I would not normally consider a new school, but being from the west coast, the location is fantastic.

Reactions: 1 users
Schools that are close to California tend to have higher stat average matriculants. Look at RVU for an example.

I am on the fence about applying here. I would not normally consider a new school, but being from the west coast, the location is fantastic.
but RVU is not really a new school lol that was my irritation in the first place because I thought a newer school would be looking for lower averages

RVU is pretty new, it is the newest South West DO school.

My point wasn't so much about it's age though, rather that any school that is attractive to California applicants will have high average stats.

so just was in contact with the admissions director and she emailed me saying that they were expecting to accept people with somewhere around a 27 mcat....what....:bang:

You should've had the balls to ask them why their minimum is a 17 then hahaha

oh I did lol they were like well we just want to encourage everyone to apply...some well rehearsed answer.. its misleading though my mcat is 6points higher than their minimum but I doubt Ill even get an II because they want around a 27 and I'm a va resident ....whatev

sgpa ~3.0; cgpa ~3.1; s.m.p. gpa around ~3.6
1st mcat (2011): 22M; 2nd mcat (2014):20

Any shot at this school based on stats alone?

Hey where does it say that their minimum is 17? I can't seem to find that on the site. I've e-mailed them couple of weeks back if they take Canadian students and yet to get a reply. I'm off to a great start :laugh:

You should be less about getting into medical school, but what you will do if you DO get in. You have NOT shown that you can handle the rigors of medical school and standardized testing, and that is concerning when considering life is about to get a LOT busier in med school.

Most newer schools are accepting a 25/26+ these days, minimum.

I'll be applying here! I have lower stats (3.47/3.3 25 MCAT) so I'm hoping this school will give me a chance.

I don't see how they are going to be too tough Im super confused about this I don't see a lot of students with thats higher than yours or mine (very similar) applying to this school... I think the ones with 26/27 will be applying to ACOM, WVSOM, RVU and VCOM which are "safer" because they are established
I'll be applying here! I have lower stats (3.47/3.3 25 MCAT) so I'm hoping this school will give me a chance.

you should retake your MCAT but you never know! no one really knows what stats they are looking for. Are you a "borderplex" resident? lol I m not sure how they define but prob like texas/arizona/cali and what was the break down of your MCAT

Yeah I was more worried about not being from the southwest area . I could see them definitely accepting low stats from people who live in New Mexico but I don't know about everywhere else.

I am looking to add a 6th school and trying to decide between here and AT Still SOMA.

@AlteredScale

I agree, further research into SOMA has convinced me to add it as my 6th school.

Thanks.

@AlteredScale

I agree, further research into SOMA has convinced me to add it as my 6th school.

Thanks.

No problem. I mean if relocating is too much of a PITA for you (you relocate after 1 year at SOMA) then I would perhaps consider BCOM...perhaps!

I will applying here as well!
3.7 gpa; 3.68 sgpa; Low MCAT score due to verbal.
Good Luck everyone!

I was so excited when I saw this school's name on AACOMAS. It's about time NM has a new med school. Going to apply with my 24 ahh nervous! Btw, how do we know if AACOMAS has received official mcat scores from aamc?

So is a DO letter REQUIRED for Burrell? I have shadowing experience with a DO (20+ hours and continuing) but no letter.

You should absolutely consider applying to more than six schools. There is enough randomness in this process that it could hurt your chances.

I am applying to 28, just six AACOMAS schools.

I was so excited when I saw this school's name on AACOMAS. It's about time NM has a new med school. Going to apply with my 24 ahh nervous! Btw, how do we know if AACOMAS has received official mcat scores from aamc?

You should be ok as long as your MCAT breakdown in consistent and your GPAs are solid.

I am deff applying to this school, they really seem to want to put people in underserved areas, and the secretary was so nice when I talked to them!

you should retake your MCAT but you never know! no one really knows what stats they are looking for. Are you a "borderplex" resident? lol I m not sure how they define but prob like texas/arizona/cali and what was the break down of your MCAT

I'm planning on a re-take early next year and am a LA resident. I see that they take MCAT scores from 2011. If so, I'm guessing that my 22M (7,7,8) that I took in said year would be considered instead of the 20 (7,6,7)??? Anyway, I'm planning on applying to this school next cycle with a much better MCAT and GPA, among other things.

I was actually thinking about giving this school a shot THIS cycle in december with a potential updated cumulative and science gpa of ~3.3 with the 22M since it's a brand new school?? We'll see I guess..

I would call the school and ask, the advisors there are more than willing to go over your application with you. They might say that a 22 is fine depending on ur gpa.

Let us know

I'm planning on a re-take early next year and am a LA resident. I see that they take MCAT scores from 2011. If so, I'm guessing that my 22M (7,7,8) that I took in said year would be considered instead of the 20 (7,6,7)??? Anyway, I'm planning on applying to this school next cycle with a much better MCAT and GPA, among other things.

I was actually thinking about giving this school a shot THIS cycle in december with a potential updated cumulative and science gpa of ~3.3 with the 22M since it's a brand new school?? We'll see I guess..

I gotcha well you miss 100% of the shots you don't take :) but I see how it would be a risk to apply! just call and see what they say they are more than happy to help!

Applying here cGPA~3.4 sGPA~3.2 MCAT 27. Hoping to get some love even if it is a new school

Received an email tonight stating they had received my application

Same, just got an email!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any concern about the negative press about this school especially from many astute posters on sdn?

Does anyone have any concern about the negative press about this school especially from many astute posters on sdn?

Not really. People in the Internet get upset about every little thing anymore. The school gains nothing, and investors gain nothing by screwing over thier students base, so I feel they will provide every opportunity possible to be the best school that they can be.

To the people who recived emails about them getting ur app, have u taken the mcat yet?

Can you elaborate on the negative press or maybe point me in the direction of where u found it.

I might apply to this one just because I think it would be a great area to go to med school in. Lots of immigration related medicine I would think.