Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying!

"Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words showing why you think BCOM is the perfect place for you and what qualities you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, published research, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. Exhibit should be sent to: 3501 Arrowhead Drive Las Cruces, NM 88001. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned."

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do i have a shot at Burrell ? i have 3.13 sGPA, 3.39 overall, 27 mcat

Your GPA is below the school average (3.5) but your MCAT is above the school's average (25). However, the actual range of GPAs/MCAT in the Class of 2020 are quite large so I wouldn't worry too much, especially if you apply early. I'd say go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Will they have federal aid this upcoming year?
No. Not till OMS-3, so theoretically by your second year they would. Multiple lending agreements, and COA was adjusted to represent a more accurate cost of living. The head of financial aid there is incredibly helpful, if you choose BCOM you will have plenty of support during that process.

Do i have a shot at Burrell ? i have 3.13 sGPA, 3.39 overall, 27 mcat
Yes. You boil down to more than your stats, however. This may not be the case at all schools, but it certainly is here. Make sure the other parts of your application shine and really show why you're a good fit for the area and the mission.

Yes. You boil down to more than your stats, however. This may not be the case at all schools, but it certainly is here. Make sure the other parts of your application shine and really show why you're a good fit for the area and the mission.
What if I retook the mcat and did worse, a 499 :(

What if I retook the mcat and did worse, a 499 :(
Doing WORSE on the MCAT, or doing worse in school, is never good. The standardization between new and old MCAT isn't perfect. So...you might be okay there. You want to see a positive trend in all aspects of your file. However, BCOM seems to take other exams like the GRE into consideration. They're really looking at the entire applicant.

Best of luck to all the new applicants! Hopefully we can see some of you when you interview if we have enough time!

https://bcomnm.org/building-bcom/

this is what you'll have to look forward to!
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 12.33.42 PM.png

Reactions: 4 users
No. Not till OMS-3, so theoretically by your second year they would. Multiple lending agreements, and COA was adjusted to represent a more accurate cost of living. The head of financial aid there is incredibly helpful, if you choose BCOM you will have plenty of support during that process.

Thank you! So what's the COA like now currently for you folks if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you! So what's the COA like now currently for you folks if you don't mind me asking?
75k including living expenses and all fees and insurance you get on your own. Tuition pretty much the same but we were allotted more if we need to pull the full COA

Last edited:
Unfortunately stats do matter, but once you are in/around 3.5 and 25-26 you will get in only if you can demonstrate match with the mission

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received already!

I got an email over an hour ago saying they received my app and are beginning the preliminary review process.. Does that mean I'm not getting a secondary? :(

I got an email over an hour ago saying they received my app and are beginning the preliminary review process.. Does that mean I'm not getting a secondary? :(
I got the same email today, I'm guessing we are just being processed as we speak-- I submitted here 6/5 so it wasn't too long ago

Is a DO letter required for this school? On their website it says it is, but on AACOMAS it says an MD letter will suffice.

I got the "primary received email" as well today, submitted end of May and verified June 2.

Is anyone else seeing the video portion of the secondary for BCOM? I think i'll opt out to write it instead--or am I missing something? Is it one question?

Can those who received the secondary please post the essays?

"Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words showing why you think BCOM is the perfect place for you and what qualities you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, published research, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. Exhibit should be sent to: 3501 Arrowhead Drive Las Cruces, NM 88001. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned."

This is the secondary question I have-- it seems very....unorthodox. anyone received something different?
P.S I couldn't find a way to PM @AlteredScale the prompt but this is the one I believe.

This is the secondary question I have-- it seems very....unorthodox. anyone received something different?
P.S I couldn't find a way to PM @AlteredScale the prompt but this is the one I believe.
This is actually super cool. I am excited!

One of the nice things about a new program is that they have the ability to do things a little out of the box. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Every one raised a stink when MMI started getting introduced, this sounds like a far better change to the traditional secondary process.

Good luck to you.

Best of luck to the new applicants! Really neat they are mixing things up with the option for creative/video response.

PM me if you have any questions about the school or the area. Also, I may have a room/futon available airbnb style if anyone needs it for an interview. We're in a good area where many med students are living.

I have a third author publication that was done published yesterday. I'm the third author, and helped with data collection, analysis, and manuscript publication. Would this be suitable for the "physical exhibit"?? Or would the written statement be more appropriate? I'm just so used to standard essays, it feels risky to do something different haha

I have a third author publication that was done published yesterday. I'm the third author, and helped with data collection, analysis, and manuscript publication. Would this be suitable for the "physical exhibit"?? Or would the written statement be more appropriate? I'm just so used to standard essays, it feels risky to do something different haha

I don't see why not as it says published research....I don't think it would hurt to try.

Ya, just wasn't sure if they would care with first vs. third author. I emailed them, so I'll let you all know. :)

I'm really thinking of doing the video...lol batch my lashes and smile for two minutes hahaha :heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah::smack:

Well, I welcome unorthodox approaches-- I must admit when I saw the art piece bit I thought it would be an optimal way to persuade non-science majors into the mix!

Dumb question, but I need to know for my video how to pronounce Burrell. Is it "brr-el"? Or is the Bu pronounced like "Bew"?

brr-el

So everyone knows. Blanket statement. The secondary is completely different this year from last.

I second with the other poster, I can start an Airbnb if it would help. Really nice two bedroom place. I could give a ride to the campus during the summer, maybe school.

PM me if you guys are interested and need a place for interviews!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Whaaaat! The secondary for this school is so cool. I'm going to add this school now just for that.

Just my opinion, I would definitely shy away from this option. You are the third author which isn't anything to discount for other purposes, but BCOM wants to get to know YOU, so even being the FIRST author I would probably still shy away from this. If it interests anyone I would go with the video introduction. I feel like if you are confident, that is gives you a more personal way of connecting to the BCOM staff and makes you a lot more relatable in terms of who you are and what really interests you and makes you a perfect candidate for BCOM. As long as you are genuine and true to yourself and your beliefs I think the video is by far the best way to go. Just my opinion!

Just my opinion, I would definitely shy away from this option. You are the third author which isn't anything to discount for other purposes, but BCOM wants to get to know YOU, so even being the FIRST author I would probably still shy away from this. If it interests anyone I would go with the video introduction. I feel like if you are confident, that is gives you a more personal way of connecting to the BCOM staff and makes you a lot more relatable in terms of who you are and what really interests you and makes you a perfect candidate for BCOM. As long as you are genuine and true to yourself and your beliefs I think the video is by far the best way to go. Just my opinion!

I agree, I feel like the video will be fun.