Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone aware if they take updates or letters of intent come spring if you are waitlisted ? Or is it just pure fixed rank?

During my interview we were told that the waitlist is fluid but based on scores given for certain aspects of your application. It is comprised of your interview score, mcat score and sgpa.

do we have to buy the schools "technology package", basically a Surface tablet with the textbooks and Board prep material pre-loaded on it?

I think so. All the textbooks are preloaded onto the computer and same with the board prep materials.

Members don't see this ad.

Rent a car, if you can't or don't want to, I know an uber guy who will take you from El Paso to cruces and to and from school as well. If you'd like the Airbnb, let me know

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes, please could you? thank you

i got a rental car, i forgot about this, but you can sign up for USAA to get the under 25 fee waived

best place- i stayed with someone from airbnb, nice guy, def check airbnb

cost - 50 + 6 $ for a night at airbnb

advice - make sure to arrive early and don't do anything you wouldn't normally do in the morning such as chugging a red bull and make sure to get a good nights rest

also review your secondary and maybe practice a bit in front of the mirror or with a friend on your interview presentation (i.e. be confident, be yourself, don't do anything annoying like swivel back and forth in your chair, etc)

Thank you, is it better to rent a car or get Uber for commuting?

Members don't see this ad :)
We had to sign a form that promises to not discuss anything about the interview. The specifically mention not to talk about it on sdn as well lol

Congrads on being accepted, care to share what schools ? I have similar figures as yours

do we have to buy the schools "technology package", basically a Surface tablet with the textbooks and Board prep material pre-loaded on it?
it's part of your tuition, and you have to. exams are on them.

from el paso airport?

It's more, I'll send send you info later when I get some time. I know a driver that will do it for $60 via Venmo to save you both

Reactions: 1 users
It's more, I'll send send you info later when I get some time. I know a driver that will do it for $60 via Venmo to save you both

This. I was charged $60

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if anyone took notes on the slide during the presentation about international residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
from el paso airport?

So uber is more than $60 when calculating the time/distance from the EP airport and getting here (and then it depends on where you stay). There's a nice guy that Ubers in the city and he will go out to pick you up from the airport and then bring you back wherever new Las Cruces for $60. From my area of town, he will take students to their interview $16 each way. If you use the app to have him pick you up or take you to an interview, the official uber will be more expensive for the same trip. He'll also take up to 3 people from the airport back to cruces for the same price so it could be $20/person if you had other interviewees carpooling.

I was just wondering where the international posts were and for what specialties.
As far as I remember, there was no info on what specialities. But posts are Philippines, china, Mexico and they are working on India. I can't remember more anyone would like to add?

As far as I remember, there was no info on what specialities. But posts are Philippines, china, Mexico and they are working on India. I can't remember more anyone would like to add?

I think they also had one in South Africa? I'm not sure though...

Thanks to all for the info..

On a second note, Anyone is trying to lock an interview date? they are booked for the next 4 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the info..

On a second note, Anyone is trying to lock an interview date? they are booked for the next 4 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, when's the first available date?

I was just wondering where the international posts were and for what specialties.
Yeah no info on specialties as someone said. But they were South Africa, The Philippines, UK, India... sorry don't remember everything! But they are just as long as the other ones in the states would be. Sounds awesome!

Interview December 7!

Is anyone attending the interview tomorrow? I am..

Anyone have an interview December 2nd?? I'll get to El Paso Airport December 1st and if anyone wants to share a ride from the airport... I booked a car I'll drive from the airport to las cruses for 25$ lol much cheeper than you'll find anywhere else including uber! PM me if anyone wants to take the offer i'll drop you to your respective hotels I don't mind, I'm coming from NYC and my flight lands at 1.

II! Please let me know if anyone is planning on cancelling/changing their interview dates :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do we need to bring anything to the interview such as a form of ID? If so, will a driver's license be enough

Driver's license is fine, I don't explicitly remembering having to show my ID, but you should definitely bring it.

I saw there was around 18 people when I went, don't remember exactly

I noticed you interviewed with Incarnate world, whats your impression on the school?

As a brand new school I didn't have much information about it. They also don't have school tours, so I didn't really get to see much besides the building I interviewed in.

While I can't talk about the interview itself, I will say it is an MMI format as others have stated and so you should prepare yourself for that. While some say you can't prepare for an MMI (they told us that at the interview), I'll tell you that should at the very least practice a bit as it'll help keep the nerves down.

As for the religious aspect, they had a prayer in the morning and they talked about their faith based mission but definitely you don't have to be religious to attend the school.

As for the city, it's a major metropolitan area and does feel a little like Los Angeles, very spread out. However the school itself is pretty isolated as it's on an old military base that used to be an aerospace medical school so it's pretty quiet there but knowing that the big city is nearby is nice to have for those that prefer urban areas.

Also they have a lot of people interviewing, I think there was like 52 people the day I went.

There was a Q and A session either at the beginning or end depending which group you are in and they leave about 10 mins after the presentation for this.

Thank you, appreciate the time you have taken to reply, and congrads on your acceptance

Accepted a while ago on Oct. 20. Will be declining the offer.

Good luck to those still waiting to hear back!!

Very cool good luck! Which school have you chosen over BCOM? Are you still waiting on others?
Hi and thanks!! I'm a Texas resident and am still waiting on some schools through the prematch/match.

I was accepted to an oos MD school about a week ago and will most likely only choose an in state MD school over that option if I can gain admission.

Good luck to you!

I may have missed this but does anyone know where to send application updates (I want to add an experience)? Should I update my AACOMAS app, attach it as a document on my portal or e-mail the admissions office directly? I know different schools have different preferences. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just updated my AACOMAS app!

Last edited:
For those of you have decided to attend BCOM, how are you approaching the financial aid situation? Knowing that federal loans are not available currently what factors helped you decide to go there anyway? I am currently deciding between a few school and would love to hear other people's thoughts about why bcom despite the money situation.

Also congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! Best wishes for you all!

I may have missed this but does anyone know where to send application updates (I want to add an experience)? Should I update my AACOMAS app, attach it as a document on my portal or e-mail the admissions office directly? I know different schools have different preferences. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just updated my AACOMAS app!
I was under the impression that updating your AACOMAS application would reset your position to the back of queue? Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile