Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you have decided to attend BCOM, how are you approaching the financial aid situation? Knowing that federal loans are not available currently what factors helped you decide to go there anyway? I am currently deciding between a few school and would love to hear other people's thoughts about why bcom despite the money situation.

Also congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! Best wishes for you all!

The way I look at is that since we are part of the second class, we would only have private loans for the first year which is not bad at all.

Plus the cost of living in the budget (like most schools) heavily overestimates how much money you need. Don't get scared of the 75k you see, I would think of it as 60-65k because NM is a super cheap state. With tuition at 48k, it is entirely reasonable for food, housing, etc. to be in the 12-17k/year range depending if you are single or have a family you are bringing.

Yes, it is true that federal loan forgiveness programs do not forgive private debt but each state also has different loans forgiveness programs that may forgive private debt as well. Check the AAMC loan forgiveness database for more information: https://services.aamc.org/fed_loan_...1&CFTOKEN=E7AF04B0-034C-62CB-242A730779B181C4

Just don't let the for-profit status or one year of private loans scare you from choosing BCOM if you really like it. Go with your gut feeling. Which campus "felt" better to you? Which place do you see yourself at for the next 2-3 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Just interviewed this morning. Everyone there was extremely welcoming and the school is amazing! Can't wait to hear back! Currently scouting out a good Mexican restaurant for a celebratory dinner :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
The way I look at is that since we are part of the second class, we would only have private loans for the first year which is not bad at all.

Plus the cost of living in the budget (like most schools) heavily overestimates how much money you need. Don't get scared of the 75k you see, I would think of it as 60-65k because NM is a super cheap state. With tuition at 48k, it is entirely reasonable for food, housing, etc. to be in the 12-17k/year range depending if you are single or have a family you are bringing.

Yes, it is true that federal loan forgiveness programs do not forgive private debt but each state also has different loans forgiveness programs that may forgive private debt as well. Check the AAMC loan forgiveness database for more information: https://services.aamc.org/fed_loan_...1&CFTOKEN=E7AF04B0-034C-62CB-242A730779B181C4

Just don't let the for-profit status or one year of private loans scare you from choosing BCOM if you really like it. Go with your gut feeling. Which campus "felt" better to you? Which place do you see yourself at for the next 2-3 years?

First line isn't entirely accurate, but the rest is pretty on point. You aren't guaranteed to get access to federal loans during your second year. I think it's potentially possible but there's a good chance you won't get access to it until maybe your third or fourth year depending on how quickly the accreditation process moves along.

You're correct on the low cost of living thing though. This month I'm only paying $30 for utilities in a single bed/bath. I've literally never paid so little for utilities in my life before. It's kind of insane. There's also lots of options as far as housing goes here so if you wanted to live cheaply, it's possible to only pay around $300/month.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First line isn't entirely accurate, but the rest is pretty on point. You aren't guaranteed to get access to federal loans during your second year. I think it's potentially possible but there's a good chance you won't get access to it until maybe your third or fourth year depending on how quickly the accreditation process moves along.

You're correct on the low cost of living thing though. This month I'm only paying $30 for utilities in a single bed/bath. I've literally never paid so little for utilities in my life before. It's kind of insane. There's also lots of options as far as housing goes here so if you wanted to live cheaply, it's possible to only pay around $300/month.

Right after I posted my last message, I called the financial aid office and got the same answer you gave me. Basically, we "should" have access to federal loans by Fall 2018 but that is technically not set in stone because of government bureaucracy. To be honest, the uncertainty is a little unsettling but ultimately not a deal breaker for me. I still like BCOM/NMSU/Las Cruces area better than the other schools I have interviewed at. Unless I get a random late interview/acceptance from a much more established school then I will happily attend.

I was under the impression that updating your AACOMAS application would reset your position to the back of queue? Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
I have never heard that lol. That would be kind of hilarious though...

before you cringe over the COA...just take a glance at MWU-CCOM.

Just declined my acceptance last night. I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely people! BCOM is a great school and has a lot to offer, it was just a little too far from home for me.

Just interviewed this morning. Everyone there was extremely welcoming and the school is amazing! Can't wait to hear back! Currently scouting out a good Mexican restaurant for a celebratory dinner :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ah, congrats on finishing your interview!!!! I'll be there next week for mine. I've heard it's pretty relaxed, but any advice for interview day? Feel free to message me if you are more comfortable with that :)

How did you guys get to las cruces? Flights specifically... Did you fly directly into Las Cruces???

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite having the "international" tag, it's a small rural airport with minimal airline services. Unless you own your own airplane you'll be hard pressed to get there by airplane.

Ohhh okay. But has anyone flown into the las cruces airport? This seems similar to the dothan, ACOM airport situation.

I looked it up, over 65% of the traffic is military related, 25% general aviation (e.g. private jets) and 4% air taxi. Also there is no control tower, so definitely a small town airport.

So did you fly into el paso and just drive to las cruces?

Accepted this morning! I will be declining my acceptance to attend Texas Tech. Great school and I hope my seat goes to another well deserving applicant. Good luck!

Ah, congrats on finishing your interview!!!! I'll be there next week for mine. I've heard it's pretty relaxed, but any advice for interview day? Feel free to message me if you are more comfortable with that :)

Thanks! I can't say much because we were all required to sign a confidentiality form. It was extremely relaxed, as if we were just sitting down over coffee and having a conversation. We even cracked some jokes throughout :) My advice is to be yourself, remember why DO, and show them how excited you are to be at such a great school. Good luck next week!

How did you guys get to las cruces? Flights specifically... Did you fly directly into Las Cruces???
you can't fly in to LC. The airport is military/emergency only. El Paso best bet, b/c only bet. You COULD do ABQ, but logistically that's kinda rough, and prob not worth being 3 hours away from LC.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to cancel my interview here which is on 12/19!

Last edited:
It's never too late until it's too late, and by that it means end of interviews.

Withdrew my acceptance here today. Can't say enough good things about the direction the school is heading in and I hope one of you gets my spot! Best of luck everyone

Reactions: 2 users
How much are flights for you guys? $405 is the cheapest i've found :angelic: II on 12/16 anyone going?

I think mine was something like $300 or so but mine was back in August.

I looked it up, over 65% of the traffic is military related, 25% general aviation (e.g. private jets) and 4% air taxi. Also there is no control tower, so definitely a small town airport.
Ya...you can't fly in there.

EP is small...most of the flights will cost around that. check out allegiant air if you can get the timing right, but you're still gonna be around the same having to stay for an extra couple days at an air b/b so...basically plan on spending a few hundred bucks. DON'T stay at a motel/hotel, you're gonna have a better/cheaper experience staying with someone local. There's a few people on the thread that have their place set up for air b/b.
How much are flights for you guys? $405 is the cheapest i've found :angelic: II on 12/16 anyone going?

Hey everyone! Wondering if anyone else has their II Feb. 13 and would like to grab dinner on the 12th.

-OOS feeling really nervous :confused:

Hey if any first years could comment, I have some questions about attending because it is such a new school. Are you guys worried that the school might lose accreditation? Also has there been any update on rotation sites, like does BCOM already have rotation sites locked in? If anyone could get back to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey if any first years could comment, I have some questions about attending because it is such a new school. Are you guys worried that the school might lose accreditation? Also has there been any update on rotation sites, like does BCOM already have rotation sites locked in? If anyone could get back to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
BCOM has rotation sites, info about that should be available on the website. Also, new schools are required to make accommodations in case accreditation is lost. You should be able to find this information via COCA.

Is anyone interviewing on 12/9? that may want to carpool on the 8th?

Just finished interviewing today, BCOM is solid. Really enjoyed the experience.

Withdrew my application. Good luck to those still in the running. Great school/environment. If everything goes according to plan, I really see them being one of the most sought after schools in a couple of years.

Apparently BCOM doesn't take Interfolio LOR's. How do I send them my LOR's then? They want me to upload them to AACOMAS. Ugh. Can I just mail them?

Did you do it this way? I just don't want to do this and waste the $$$$ if they won't take it.
I did. They called me saying they never received my letters which I originally sent through USPS to their mailing address. Then the lady on the phone told me to send my letters to that email.