Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why not being placed on waiting list? I dont understand why they still give II if they filled all seats and waiting list is long?!

I believe they do put you on the waitlist as well but I could be mistaken! I haven't followed the thread super close since I withdrew my acceptance, but I believe that's what they're doing as of now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not being placed on waiting list? I dont understand why they still give II if they filled all seats and waiting list is long?!
They have both a DA list and a wait list. If a spot opens up this year, the first people are pulled from the DA list. Once they go through the DA list they then draw from wait list. So yes, I mean deferred acceptance. If there's no spot for me this year there is an automatic one for me next year.

Last year they pulled everyone off the DA list and went into the wait list too. I don't know exact numbers though.

They have both a DA list and a wait list. If a spot opens up this year, the first people are pulled from the DA list. Once they go through the DA list they then draw from wait list. So yes, I mean deferred acceptance. If there's no spot for me this year there is an automatic one for me next year.

Last year they pulled everyone off the DA list and went into the wait list too. I don't know exact numbers though.

Thats my point, why have 2 lists!! why not have clear waiting list! so now there are 2 waiting lists with one having more priority than the other!!!

Thats my point, why have 2 lists!! why not have clear waiting list! so now there are 2 waiting lists with one having more priority than the other!!!
Ah, ok. Yes, I can see your point, but maybe it's a way of getting people on the hook for next year that don't want to go through the reapplication process?

Ah, ok. Yes, I can see your point, but maybe it's a way of getting people on the hook for next year that don't want to go through the reapplication process?

Maybe its time for them to stop II and focus on whats in hand!

Maybe its time for them to stop II and focus on whats in hand!
I think it not a bad idea for BCOM to have the strategy of accepting people for the 2018 if they do not get in for 2017 cycle. I personally would prefer to know and spend a year working, saving money, finding housing and relaxing before the school year starts.

Does anyone have information on how the medical Spanish course is incorporated into the curriculum? Is it just one semester and how workload heavy is it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last year, the school gave out about 70 deferred acceptances (DA). They offered a spot (for 2016 class) to every single person on that list and then ended up offering positions to 225 people on the waiting list to fill the class. So for those wondering why they're still offering II after the class is "full"; it is because the same thing will most likely happen again this year. They need to build up both the DA and waitlist because there's a good chance they'll be going through them offering spots. Just be thankful you're on one of those lists and keep praying they'll be able to offer you a spot for the 2017 class!

Does anyone have information on how the medical Spanish course is incorporated into the curriculum? Is it just one semester and how workload heavy is it?
They said it would be taught throughout the entire second year in the health population class

Reactions: 1 user
Last year, the school gave out about 70 deferred acceptances (DA). They offered a spot (for 2016 class) to every single person on that list and then ended up offering positions to 225 people on the waiting list to fill the class. So for those wondering why they're still offering II after the class is "full"; it is because the same thing will most likely happen again this year. They need to build up both the DA and waitlist because there's a good chance they'll be going through them offering spots. Just be thankful you're on one of those lists and keep praying they'll be able to offer you a spot for the 2017 class!

They said it would be taught throughout the entire second year in the health population class

So, they offered close to 300 acceptances after already accepting others! sounds exaggerated! not sure if this year it will be the same case!

Last edited:
Are BCOM's tests made by faculty? Is anyone aware of NBME shelf exams at BCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you know how many people were on the waiting list?

Are BCOM's tests made by faculty? Is anyone aware of NBME shelf exams at BCOM?

Yes, exams are written by faculty. Every student here is a first year so nobody knows anything about shelf exams. There is a chance we may have them during our rotation period but right now it's hard to say.

I've been wait listed here since 11/7. I really hope I can get into this school.

Last interview I went to, the interviewer straight up told me that my GPA was too low to get in but to not give up during the interview.

I'm hoping my GPA isn't too low to get off the waitlist for this school either...

I've been wait listed here since 11/7. I really hope I can get into this school.

Last interview I went to, the interviewer straight up told me that my GPA was too low to get in but to not give up during the interview.

I'm hoping my GPA isn't too low to get off the waitlist for this school either...
I've been waitlisted since 11/23. According to last years thread, there were 300-400 on the waitlist and it was brought down to 100 by the end. So there is definetly a lot of turnover.

To all those on the waitlist, don't give up. Like the previous poster mentioned, they do go through quite a lot of the waitlist. A lot of it happens over the summer. Begin making plans just in case you're one of those pulled off the waitlist only a month before classes start up.

Hi everyone!

So I talked to Adrian a couple of days ago so I thought I'd share what he told me. I emailed him to ask about the deferred acceptance list, as I have been on the waitlist since 10/31, just to see how it all worked. Here's what I learned:

Last year they took about 220 off the "waitlist". 70 of those were the deferred acceptance list so that leaves about 150 off of the regular waitlist. They had such a big list for deferred acceptance last year because they didn't know how many applicants they would get, so this year their deferred acceptance list won't be as long. He said major dates to look out for are February because that's when a lot of MD schools release acceptance so kids drop to take a top MD school they wanted. He also said May there's a lot of movement on the list because that's when the multiple acceptances are sent to the schools and students accepted at more than one DO school have 24 hours to choose which one to take. He said they are expecting a lot of movement so don't give up:) hope someone finds this semi-useful! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got a deferred acceptance, I really had a great time at Burrell and strongly suggest that those of you who have an upcoming interview to attend even if you don't think you're going to end up going to BCOM. The faculty were so welcoming and the students seemed extremely happy with their program. This is going to be an awesome DO school in the coming years!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a deferred acceptance, I really had a great time at Burrell and strongly suggest that those of you who have an upcoming interview to attend even if you don't think you're going to end up going to BCOM. The faculty were so welcoming and the students seemed extremely happy with their program. This is going to be an awesome DO school in the coming years!!

I hope you get in! Congrats on your other acceptance(s).

Side note: Would you attend BCOM if you got off the deferred acceptance list?

I hope you get in! Congrats on your other acceptance(s).

Side note: Would you attend BCOM if you got off the deferred acceptance list?
Thank you @SlugMD!! I am definitely considering, it's not off the table, though I do have an upcoming MD interview along with another DO acceptance at a more established program in hand so I've got quite a bit to think about. :)

Just out of curiosity, for those attending BCOM OOS, you fly to el paso international and how do you get to las cruses from there? Is there a bus or anything? I heard tuition won't cover a car so just curious!

Just out of curiosity, for those attending BCOM OOS, you fly to el paso international and how do you get to las cruses from there? Is there a bus or anything? I heard tuition won't cover a car so just curious!

There's a shuttle service!

And is it possible to get housing close by to campus if you don't intend on buying a car?

And is it possible to get housing close by to campus if you don't intend on buying a car?

There's housing something like 0.2 miles away from school. There is also campus housing on NMSU campus, which is across the street from the school.

Interviewing on 3/3. kind of nervous preparing for it, as this is my first one.
From reading this forum, it seems all seats are filled already, but
if anyone could provide any tips/ advice for the interview, I'd appreciate it very much. Please feel free to PM too.
Thank you in advance!
Read your personal statement be peeped to answer any questions regarding your application (personal statement and experiences), Know why you want to attend bcom and a tad bit about new mexico like any problems it has Etc.

Canceled interview here. Hope someone gets the spot! Best of luck to all! :)

"Our admissions demand has again exceeded our expectations in regards to the number of quality applicants. We have a substantial alternate list of well-qualified candidates who are also aligned with our mission to improve the health of the Southwest US and Northern Mexico. We realize that you have many choices in osteopathic medical education and we are gratified that you have included BCOM among them. We also understand, however, that, given the competition for medical school admission, some applicants will place a deposit at BCOM while they try to gain acceptance to another school they feel is better suited to their needs and personality. In consideration of this, and in order to open more positions for other potential applicants, BCOM will refund $200 of your deposit, leaving 2,800 non-refundable, if you notify us of your intention to rescind your acceptance before April 1, 2017.

We hope that you will partner with BCOM. If you have decided to go elsewhere, please notify the Office of Admissions and we will process the $200 refund and release your space to another applicant."

This email just went out.

Reactions: 1 users
"Our admissions demand has again exceeded our expectations in regards to the number of quality applicants. We have a substantial alternate list of well-qualified candidates who are also aligned with our mission to improve the health of the Southwest US and Northern Mexico. We realize that you have many choices in osteopathic medical education and we are gratified that you have included BCOM among them. We also understand, however, that, given the competition for medical school admission, some applicants will place a deposit at BCOM while they try to gain acceptance to another school they feel is better suited to their needs and personality. In consideration of this, and in order to open more positions for other potential applicants, BCOM will refund $200 of your deposit, leaving 2,800 non-refundable, if you notify us of your intention to rescind your acceptance before April 1, 2017.

We hope that you will partner with BCOM. If you have decided to go elsewhere, please notify the Office of Admissions and we will process the $200 refund and release your space to another applicant."

lol got the same email... BCOM is in high demand right now xD Im fairly certain I'm attending!

Reactions: 1 users

should't they stop interviewing then?!

should't they stop interviewing then?!
well there are a bunch of people holding a spot until they hear from other schools so this is extra motivation to drop faster. On top of that it wouldn't be smart for them to stop interviewing because when people do drop their spot they should have a list of people from which they can accept students.

Got the same email. If we want to keep our seat do we still have to respond? Wasn't sure?

Got the same email. If we want to keep our seat do we still have to respond? Wasn't sure?

I don't think so. Shortly after that email, I got another email with the details for accepted students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I just got the "Welcome to the BCOM family" email with all the dates and deadlines.

The only annoying part is that I already sent my transcripts to them and in the email it says to only send transcripts that are NOT on AACOMAS.

There goes $25 down the drain for being an eager beaver lol

Ready to meet all my new classmates!

Is Burrell fully accredited or will that happen in 2018? Did this school talk about about how to access private loans or scholarships?

Is Burrell fully accredited or will that happen in 2018? Did this school talk about about how to access private loans or scholarships?
I spoke with a FM residency coordinator about Burrell before interviewing. He worked with and is very optimistic about the program. You will be applicable for federal student loans next year (most likely... assuming Trump doesn't eliminate federal student loans like he promised he would during his campaign). Don't worry about accreditation. It will happen.

Out of curiosity, do they charge deposits for deferred acceptances?
I actually had the same question. Are we obligated to pay any deposit if we accept the offer (deferred list)? I want to know what they need our signatures for exactly lol

I actually had the same question. Are we obligated to pay any deposit if we accept the offer (deferred list)? I want to know what they need our signatures for exactly lol
No deposit due for deferred acceptance now. If you get pulled for this year then yes, you'll be asked for a deposit then. Otherwise, I think I remember being told the deposit for next year will be due in July, in the remote chance you don't get a spot this year.

when should we start applying for private loans? Is June too late? Isn't it the later the better since interest starts accruing the second the loan is dispersed?

when should we start applying for private loans? Is June too late? Isn't it the later the better since interest starts accruing the second the loan is dispersed?
I think you should apply no more than 6 months before school starts, but I think March is a good time if you are set on going to BCOM. For student loans, I believe they get dispersed when you start school so August.