Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well there are a bunch of people holding a spot until they hear from other schools so this is extra motivation to drop faster. On top of that it wouldn't be smart for them to stop interviewing because when people do drop their spot they should have a list of people from which they can accept students.

They already have long waiting list!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think that BCOM is over accepting students? It seems weird to me that would email accepted students and ask if they would want to be placed on the deferred list?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think that BCOM is over accepting students? It seems weird to me that would email accepted students and ask if they would want to be placed on the deferred list?
I received no such email O.O

Has anyone received an outright acceptance since the new year? It seems like deferred acceptance is the new acceptance and waitlist is the new rejection.

Has anyone received an outright acceptance since the new year? It seems like deferred acceptance is the new acceptance and waitlist is the new rejection.
Yeah their class is full so deferred acceptance is the new acceptance

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah their class is full so deferred acceptance is the new acceptance
But if u get on the waitlist there's still a good chance you'll get pulled off it. And rejection is still the rejection

Around what time on wed/thurs did y'all get the admissions email with your decision?

Seems like no ones applying to BCOM's post bacc. Is it really that bad and disorganized??

Seems like no ones applying to BCOM's post bacc. Is it really that bad and disorganized??

I think it more has to do with it being a non-degree program as opposed to a master's degree. Plus it's new so I imagine not many people know about it.

Idk how hard the tests are but what is cool is that you get an automatic acceptance to BCOM if you average 87% or higher (with at least 80% in all courses). You get an interview simply by passing all your courses before February.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about paying the private loan with FED loan after they get approved any thoughts on this idea?

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance tomorrow. That deposit was a real bitch.

Reactions: 5 users
I was thinking about paying the private loan with FED loan after they get approved any thoughts on this idea?

Whats the benefit of this? Private loans usually have a lower interest rate and better pay back plan during residency.

Whats the benefit of this? Private loans usually have a lower interest rate and better pay back plan during residency.
Federal loan is forgiven after the 25th year, aside from that I would like to know where you found a private loan with lower interest than federal loan. Also, if you take a private loan if anything happens to you your co signer becomes responsible for paying back your loan which sucks.

Speaking of student loans and such, if I am waitlisted, should I fill out a FAFSA? I heard it opened back in October?

Speaking of student loans and such, if I am waitlisted, should I fill out a FAFSA? I heard it opened back in October?

I thought FAFSA is useless for BCOM since it doesn't have federal aid? What is the point of filling it out otherwise?

But if u get on the waitlist there's still a good chance you'll get pulled off it. And rejection is still the rejection

I highly doubt that, they have long waiting list, they went and created another waiting list with higher priority ( deferred acceptance) and they are still interviewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I highly doubt that, they have long waiting list, they went and created another waiting list with higher priority ( deferred acceptance) and they are still interviewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, they might not have as many people pulled off wait list as they did last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe from now on anyone goes for an interview it will be waiting list!
I was at an interview recently and they still said if a spot is available the person will be straight accepted rather than deferred. If the class is full on the day of decision making either deferred accepted, waitlisted, or rejected are the options.

I was at an interview recently and they still said if a spot is available the person will be straight accepted rather than deferred. If the class is full on the day of decision making either deferred accepted, waitlisted, or rejected are the options.

the class is already full

Will be declining my interview tomorrow that was scheduled on 2/24. Hope another deserving applicant takes it.

the class is already full
Ya but people drop their spot. Hence what happened last year where they had a full class but then people dropped and went elsewhere which is why the current class is 2/3 made up from the waitlist/deferred. So if when someone goes for an interview 7 people dropped, those spots then become available to those interviewing.

Ya but people drop their spot. Hence what happened last year where they had a full class but then people dropped and went elsewhere which is why the current class is 2/3 made up from the waitlist/deferred. So if when someone goes for an interview 7 people dropped, those spots then become available to those interviewing.

This analogy is not realistic nor apply to current situation! The class is full, the wait listing is long, the second wait listing is long as well!!!!

This analogy is not realistic nor apply to current situation! The class is full, the wait listing is long, the second wait listing is long as well!!!!
okiedokes! Think what you want lol

Reactions: 1 users

That's partly true from what I understand. Adrian said if someone that was accepted drops and a spot opens up, they're taking off of the deferred acceptance list, not offering acceptances to people coming for interviews now. So you'll most likely end up with a deferred acceptance still is what I understood from him. But he said he still expects a ton a of movement on both lists, especially in may:)

Federal loan is forgiven after the 25th year, aside from that I would like to know where you found a private loan with lower interest than federal loan. Also, if you take a private loan if anything happens to you your co signer becomes responsible for paying back your loan which sucks.
Correction. There is a public service forgiveness program that pays off the loan in 5 to 10 years if someone works in undeserved areas. Federal employees get loans forgiven in 5 years (FDA, NIH etc)

Can we get a timeline from a current BCOM attending student like when did you apply for a loan, when did you start looking for housing, when did you move in etc.

Can we get a timeline from a current BCOM attending student like when did you apply for a loan, when did you start looking for housing, when did you move in etc.

I think loans is start applying after March.
There's a checklist with deadlines in May, June and July for things like drug test, background check, etc.

Housing, i've already put myself on the waitlist for Aug 1 move-in as have other students.

I think most people are moving in Aug 1, or last week of July.

Withdrawing my acceptance here to pursue other opportunities. Good luck to you all, I hope it goes to one of you deserving people! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who interviewed this past Friday/Monday gotten an email yet?

I didn't apply for my load until June. I ended up getting the best rates through Wells Fargo and the process was very quick. It only took a few days for everything to go through and get confirmed. So if you aren't totally sure that you will be attending I would hold off for a while. For housing, some of the nicer apartments will fill up, so you will want to start contacting places now. Last summer I started looking in June and many were full. However, there are lots of places to live and finding affordable housing shouldn't be a problem if you wait, it just might not be in the nicest place. I moved in the first week of August, gave myself about a week to get accommodated to New Mexico. I do know some people moved in June which was nice because then you are done with your contract when the school year starts so you don't have to deal with it for the summer in case you want to go home or leave NM. But then you are in Las Cruces for the summer.

I didn't apply for my load until June. I ended up getting the best rates through Wells Fargo and the process was very quick. It only took a few days for everything to go through and get confirmed. So if you aren't totally sure that you will be attending I would hold off for a while. For housing, some of the nicer apartments will fill up, so you will want to start contacting places now. Last summer I started looking in June and many were full. However, there are lots of places to live and finding affordable housing shouldn't be a problem if you wait, it just might not be in the nicest place. I moved in the first week of August, gave myself about a week to get accommodated to New Mexico. I do know some people moved in June which was nice because then you are done with your contract when the school year starts so you don't have to deal with it for the summer in case you want to go home or leave NM. But then you are in Las Cruces for the summer.
Thank you so much reading your post gave me a lot of clarity, one other question is there any housing walking distance from BCOM but not NMSU housing, I heard thats a complete rip off, also wondering did your loan maybe cover a car or some sort of transportation? I know most apartments are like a 10-15 min drive from campus (=hour and half walk lol), also if you didn't get a car how did you get to your apartment after the airport. I know there is a shuttle bus that goes to las cruses from the airport but during my interview I didn't use it ended up renting a car but I know las cruses public transportation in nothing like NYC. Last question what do you do for food? did you end up getting a meal plan (Im not sure but from the sounds of the interview it just sounded like fast food places) or do you end up shopping and cooking your own food. Thanks again!

Thank you so much reading your post gave me a lot of clarity, one other question is there any housing walking distance from BCOM but not NMSU housing, I heard thats a complete rip off, also wondering did your loan maybe cover a car or some sort of transportation? I know most apartments are like a 10-15 min drive from campus (=hour and half walk lol), also if you didn't get a car how did you get to your apartment after the airport. I know there is a shuttle bus that goes to las cruses from the airport but during my interview I didn't use it ended up renting a car but I know las cruses public transportation in nothing like NYC. Last question what do you do for food? did you end up getting a meal plan (Im not sure but from the sounds of the interview it just sounded like fast food places) or do you end up shopping and cooking your own food. Thanks again!
There may be apartments within walking distance, but I don't know of any. I would not recommend the on-campus housing or meal plan even though it is cheap and very close to campus. But if you are just looking for the cheapest option possible it may be the way to go. There are many students who have lived on campus, I don't know of any who are planning on staying there next year.
I am currently making a $300 car payment each month from a car I bought a few years ago before I knew I was going to medical school. I wish I didn't have to make the payments, but it has not been a significant financial burden. I took out the maximum loan amount because I didn't want to run out of money, and I will have about 8000-10000 left over at the end of the year, and that is with not living as frugally as I could. I think it will be very difficult without a car here. I would recommend getting something cheap that will get you around town if you don't currently have a vehicle.
As for food, I make my own, or grab quick and easy options from the grocery store that are far more healthy than fast food. The food here is not great, and there aren't many options for fast food alternatives, but if you can cook a little you will be fine. I think that you would find going back and forth between the NMSU dinning area and BCOM a hassle. However, I have no personal experience, just what I have heard from fellow classmates and my own assumptions.

Based on the golf cart tour, walking to and from NMSU's dining facilities and BCOM will take you a while...you're better off bringing your own noms.

They certainly are.. Do you guys think this will affect their credibility ?

They certainly are.. Do you guys think this will affect their credibility ?

I kinda doubt it. As a newer school, this is their way of keeping a list of students they really like on the hook instead of not giving them opportunity for an interview. I wouldn't worry about this. I care more about the school doing a good job of preparing students for the boards.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys, I was doing some more research into BCOM and I had a few questions that I was hoping some of you could answer:
1) What does BCOM's status as a for-profit school really signify? Isn't that the same status that Carribean med schools are given?
2) I read that they are planning to increase their class size to 300 students eventually? That seems absurd to me and makes me feel like just anybody can get in and that its very similar to a Carribean school.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I recently just received a II... is there a chance of me being accepted this late in the cycle? Or will I most likely be deferred, waitlisted, or rejected since everyone is saying that the class is already full :/

Hey guys, I was doing some more research into BCOM and I had a few questions that I was hoping some of you could answer:
1) What does BCOM's status as a for-profit school really signify? Isn't that the same status that Carribean med schools are given?
2) I read that they are planning to increase their class size to 300 students eventually? That seems absurd to me and makes me feel like just anybody can get in and that its very similar to a Carribean school.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

1) Rocky Vista is also for-profit. BCOM is going this route because they were able to get the med school built faster versus waiting 10 years to do so. With the shortage of doctors in NM and many retiring in the upcoming years, it made sense to go this route. The MD school has a cap of 80 a year or something which doesn't produce enough to replace retiring doctors.
2) The first 4 classes will be ~150-160. They won't increase their class size to 300 until 2028. That's over 10 years from now. I think it all depends on the board performance of the students from the first couple of classes. Personally, if the board performance of BCOM's students can be higher than the national average, I really do not care that they increase it to 300 without jeopardizing the classroom experience. I don't think it will be very similar to the caribbean schools because the number of applicants increase every year so they won't be accepting just anybody. Cap of 300 10 years from now doesn't sound too bad as long as they can prep the students for the boards well. That's just me. I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

Hey guys, I recently just received a II... is there a chance of me being accepted this late in the cycle? Or will I most likely be deferred, waitlisted, or rejected since everyone is saying that the class is already full :/
So you're right, there really isn't a chance of being accepted this late. You will be either deferred, waitlisted or rejected. That doesn't mean there is no chance of getting in this year, Adrian said they expect movement. But then again, if you have other interviews or offers it might not be worth it unless you are dying to go to BCOM :)

Sadly waitlisted, or rejected for sure