Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those who got pulled off DA, email or phone call?

Phone call for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Phone call for me

That's a phone call you don't want to miss. lol
How many days to make the 3K deposit?
and when were you put on the DA list if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Bcom still interviewing? does anyone know.. as people are getting pulled off from DA list..
I believe they are still interviewing for the next week or two. I talked to Adrian end of February/beginning of March and he said they were interviewing for another 6 weeks. I also talked to him 2 weeks ago and he said that they were already seeing movement on the DA list because of people choosing other schools. So even though they may still be interviewing, people get pulled off the DA list as spots open up.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe they are still interviewing for the next week or two. I talked to Adrian end of February/beginning of March and he said they were interviewing for another 6 weeks. I also talked to him 2 weeks ago and he said that they were already seeing movement on the DA list because of people choosing other schools. So even though they may still be interviewing, people get pulled off the DA list as spots open up.
Do you talk to Adrian by email or phone?

Is Bcom still interviewing? does anyone know.. as people are getting pulled off from DA list..
Do you guys know how the process for DA/AL works? I asked the Admissions but did not get a response. My question is what happens to the WL. Do they get offered a 2018 DA if there is room in 2018 class or do they get released and have to reapply? Adrian said last year over 200 people on both lists got in by the mid summer.

Do you guys know how the process for DA/AL works? I asked the Admissions but did not get a response. My question is what happens to the WL. Do they get offered a 2018 DA if there is room in 2018 class or do they get released and have to reapply? Adrian said last year over 200 people on both lists got in by the mid summer.

If you are on the WL and you are not pulled off, you will have to reapply next year.

That's a phone call you don't want to miss. lol
How many days to make the 3K deposit?
and when were you put on the DA list if you don't mind me asking?

Haha I know right? It woke me up.

15 days from the time I was emailed the offer (deposit)

Applied some time in Feb, interviewed mid March, email about DA list some time near the end of the same week mid March (sorry I'm not good with dates and it was a crazy month)

I interviewed on last friday. when do you get to hear back from the admissions committee on the decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Congratulations to those who got accepted! Hang in there to those still waiting! And, keep your hope alive for those who are still trying!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on last friday. when do you get to hear back from the admissions committee on the decision?
I interviewed last Friday as well, 3/31. I received my email yesterday early afternoon 4/6.

I'm on DA. Hoping for an acceptance soon since they started pulling of the list.

Found out my decision yesterday! I got on the DA list. Any chance I will get an acceptance for this August?

Is the DA list ranked based on their interview/App or amount of time they have been on the list?

I was told yesterday that they see the most movement on the DA list during LATE APRIL/ MAY. Best of luck to all, I looked at it this way: at least you are guaranteed a spot next year with NO application plus Financial Aide will be available next cycle!!

Interview set for the 17th. I only waited about a week between completing secondary and interview invite. I happened to get it the exact day I was told I'd hear either way. You have to respect them for that... The financial aid part is daunting but I guess it is what it is. I'm guessing from the latest comments they're pretty much full already?

Found out my decision yesterday! I got on the DA list. Any chance I will get an acceptance for this August?
Always a chance, the cycle moves in mysterious ways. Honestly though, take a huge breath. You are on the DA, you ARE going to be a doctor. That's one heck of an accomplishment. Congratulations.

I wonder if they'll let us know by June if the class is full or not. I began studying for the MCAT again, I'd rather get in now so I don't have to do any unnecessary studying lol

I just heard from friends who've been in contact with Adrian that there are around 75 people still on the deferred list. I'm starting to get worried.... by this time last time there was a lot more movement on the DA list. I'm trying not to lose hope, but I have a feeling there won't be as much movement as last year.

I just heard from friends who've been in contact with Adrian that there are around 75 people still on the deferred list. I'm starting to get worried.... by this time last time there was a lot more movement on the DA list. I'm trying not to lose hope, but I have a feeling there won't be as much movement as last year.
A lot of schools are still doing interviews but I think this week or next week is the last so that's hopefully when we see massive movements

I was told that last year 220+ people from both lists combined were accepted.

total seats are 160 right, why they accept 220+ then? i am trying to understand the logic..
The class is full (162)+DA (guaranteed a seat in 2018 class)+WL (either get in last minute this year or get to reapply next cycle). The general trend and everyone's hope that the accepted class and DA list may choose other schools. This will make the room for WL. 220+ people were accepted after the class filled last year and students dropped out. Last year's thread had people being accepted in July-August.

The class is full (162)+DA (guaranteed a seat in 2018 class)+WL (either get in last minute this year or get to reapply next cycle). The general trend and everyone's hope that the accepted class and DA list may choose other schools. This will make the room for WL. 220+ people were accepted after the class filled last year and students dropped out. Last year's thread had people being accepted in July-August.
thanks for the clarification

Hey guys my interview is next week! (late I know lol). Any advice or recommendations based on your experiences interviewing? I'll be flying into Albuquerque and driving to Las Cruses the day before the interview.

Is anyone else interviewing next week?

Hey guys my interview is next week! (late I know lol). Any advice or recommendations based on your experiences interviewing? I'll be flying into Albuquerque and driving to Las Cruses the day before the interview.

You probably already have your flight booked by why don't you fly into El Paso? It's only a 50 min drive up vs 3 hours from ABQ.

My #1 tip is really think hard and deep about why you want to attend BCOM and how you can satisfy its mission.

Absolutely! I hope other students add their comments in case I am wrong. I gathered the info from the blog and the admissions office. At this point, its up to chance and the higher power. We have done the best we could and now we wait...
Did anyone on the waitlist receive an email about the BCOM Foundations of Bio Sciences class ad? I wonder if this is a hint for rejection coming up?

Did anyone on the waitlist receive an email about the BCOM Foundations of Bio Sciences class ad? I wonder if this is a hint for rejection coming up?

Yeah I also got an e-mail too.

Congratulations on getting an interview! It's NEVER too "late"! I will kindly suggest that you get that out of your thoughts ASAP! Go in there to conquer! Timing is irrelevant now. Be honest with yourself and know that you were invited for an interview because you are just as competitive as those already admitted. Get some good sleep the night before. Lastly, please have an order of sopapillas on my behalf (at Andales Restaurant in Mesilla)!

I interviewed at BCOM in September of 2016. If anyone else has questions about an interview coming up at BCOM, go ahead and PM me.

Next week has to be the last week of interviews for all schools. After that we should all expect mass movements.

Made an account just to post this because this thread is hilarious....

If you people want to sugar coat BCOM and brainwash yourselves into thinking that this school is the greatest on the planet, by all means. But we all know that no one's first choice is BCOM. And we all know that all of y'all are getting the f*** outta there once you graduate.

I didn't get wrapped up in all the "high tech" excitement.. You mean the investors' money? That's how they were able to afford all that shiet. The dean isn't thinking of anyone in his best interest, he's making money off of you guys.. Not to mention he seemed unenthusiastic and was incredibly dull throughout the entire interview presentation. I've seen a lot of for-profit schools, but after reading these articles, this is the most extreme and it looks as if this school is nothing but a business.

BCOM literally forces their mission down your throat, and let's be real, no one wants to work near the border where the crime rate is 3x the amount of any place in the US. Everyone on here is in denial.

Just say straight up that the only reason you're going to the school is because it's the only one you got into. Don't try to cover its tracks or act like you're really "passionate" about the mission. Message me in 4 years and I'll bet that not even ONE of you will be in that crap of an area for residency.

I talked to a couple of the students here and they said that after a semester of living in Las Cruces, they just wanna get the f*** out of there.

I know I'm gonna get responses from people trying cover BCOM's a** and saying I'm such a "hater" and to "take my hate elsewhere," lol. Whatever. Just being real, not fake like half of you on here.

Btw, I didn't say crap about their mission during my interview and was accepted here back in October. But did not want to wipe out my bank account and pay that b**** of a deposit. Anyways, toodles.

If you people want to sugar coat BCOM and brainwash yourselves into thinking that this school is the greatest on the planet, by all means. But we all know that no one's first choice is BCOM. And we all know that all of y'all are getting the f*** outta there once you graduate.

I didn't get wrapped up in all the "high tech" excitement.. You mean the investors' money? That's how they were able to afford all that shiet. The dean isn't thinking of anyone in his best interest, he's making money off of you guys.. Not to mention he seemed unenthusiastic and was incredibly dull throughout the entire interview presentation. I've seen a lot of for-profit schools, but after reading these articles, this is the most extreme and it looks as if this school is nothing but a business.

BCOM literally forces their mission down your throat, and let's be real, no one wants to work near the border where the crime rate is 3x the amount of any place in the US. Everyone on here is in denial.

Just say straight up that the only reason you're going to the school is because it's the only one you got into. Don't try to cover its tracks or act like you're really "passionate" about the mission. Message me in 4 years and I'll bet that not even ONE of you will be in that crap of an area for residency.

I talked to a couple of the students here and they said that after a semester of living in Las Cruces, they just wanna get the f*** out of there.

I know I'm gonna get responses from people trying cover BCOM's a** and saying I'm such a "hater" and to "take my hate elsewhere," lol. Whatever. Just being real, not fake like half of you on here.

Btw, I didn't say crap about their mission during my interview and was accepted here back in October. But did not want to wipe out my bank account and pay that b**** of a deposit. Anyways, toodles.

While you're not wrong on most of your points, I will say that disparaging a program for the sake of doing so doesn't have much of a purpose. We probably interviewed the same date or around the same time and I will concur the dean didn't seem too enthusiastic, but if it was my only acceptance (which it was at the time) I would have gladly go there with enthusiasm and the hope that the promise of the program would outweigh the negatives.

While you're not wrong on most of your points, I will say that disparaging a program for the sake of doing so doesn't have much of a purpose. We probably interviewed the same date or around the same time and I will concur the dean didn't seem too enthusiastic, but if it was my only acceptance (which it was at the time) I would have gladly go there with enthusiasm and the hope that the promise of the program would outweigh the negatives.

Yeah, I feel you man. Ha, we prob did interview the same day. I wanted to leave in the middle of the presentation because of how emotionless he was. Like he was just there because he had to be.

I'm just in disbelief at how many people are sugar coating the crap out of this school. And making it seem like they're going there because they're "truly so incredibly passionate about the mission." News flash peeps: this is not your interview, and the adcom is not lurking on here trying to decipher who said what. You can be up front about this school and not paint all these pretty pictures to the future classes.

I really don't know where you're pulling out the crap about people sugar coating about this program. This is a newer program and people are optimistic about it whether it was their only choice or not. Whether people go to this school or not doesn't affect you but you seem to be taking extra effort to disparage students who are going here or planning to go here. SDN isn't the best place to unleash pent up anger.

And I don't buy that you made an account to just "post" on this thread. Pretty sure you just made up another account to feed your inflated ego by putting other students down. Just remember, your future colleagues will come from different schools and walks of life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I really don't know where you're pulling out the crap about people sugar coating about this program. This is a newer program and people are optimistic about it whether it was their only choice or not. Whether people go to this school or not doesn't affect you but you seem to be taking extra effort to disparage students who are going here or planning to go here. SDN isn't the best place to unleash pent up anger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Nice try with the reverse psychology:) It seems like BCOM is the only choice you have and are trying to use disparaging comments to intimidate others so they can drop out to make the WL shorter. Whatever it takes, right? :)

That's actually very smart..never thought of that until you mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile