1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

BU's "educational history" question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dimebag darrell, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dimebag darrell

5+ Year Member

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any insight on BU's question about educational history on the page that asks if you have skipped a year between high school and college or college and medical school? I can't tell if this question is optional or not, and if it is, I don't really know what they are asking for since I did not/am not skipping a year in either case and don't have anything strange to explain.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hkoser

Hkoser Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just check no and leave it blank. They don't expect you to say anything if you went straight through.

Any know what this means: "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us" ?

4. MFrig31

MFrig31 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was wondering the same thing

5. dimebag darrell

5+ Year Member

That's precisely what I was asking about in my original post. No idea!

6. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Did you take a year or more off since graduating H.S.? If yes, explain.

You can imagine all kinds of scenarios-- illnesses, missionary service, financial difficulties, choosing not to go to college then having a change of heart later....

7. in4mant

in4mant Member
    5+ Year Member

Sorry to hi-jack this thread...

How optional is the BU's optional essay?
    Tufts, for instance, had an optional essay that asked me the reason for applying to Tufts. It was fairly obvious that this prompt is a "mandatory" essay.

---From the BU website---
    Most applicants apply to many medical schools and we are aware that the cumulative work of the application process is substantial. Furthermore, we find that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. We have, therefore, decided to eliminate our request for a supplemental essay.

While we no longer require an essay, we find that some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish to use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, up to a total of 500 words, addressing any issue you feel is of importance, feel free to do so.

Please be assured that we offer this opportunity only for those applicants who wish to provide additional information and that it is entirely optional. For most applicants, no supplementary material will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

8. swtiepie711

swtiepie711 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In regards to the taking a year off questions - this is truly only if it applies to you. I had a continuous college career straight from high school - so no explaining there; however, I've since graduated & am working - there's a need to explain what I'm doing, etc.

In regards to the "unusual aspects of your college career" question - they said this just means if there's anything really whack about your time in college (did you take a quarter off?, etc.) during college - I left it blank

In regards to the optional essay - I think it's truly optional and left it blank. It says right there "For most applicants, no supplementary material will be necessary and this space can be left blank." So unless you have done something amazing since submitting your amcas that you want them to know about or such, then leave it blank :)

Easy peasy!

9. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well "most applicants" could mean everyone that won't be accepted. ;)

10. TSK

TSK Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I actually thought that the reason to applying to Tufts essay was really optional unless you had some compelling reason like, my family went to Tufts, lives in Boston, blah, blah, blah, I don't think they wanted to hear something generic like, "Tufts has really great hospitals...."

The OP was referring to the educational timeline history question. If anything, that should be optional but I can't tell so I think I'll call and ask tomorrow. What else could they need to know about my education that's not on AMCAS?!

11. dimebag darrell

5+ Year Member

I agree with you on Tufts, and I'd love to hear what you learn from the folks at BU. Keep us posted!

12. popbirch

popbirch Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Last year, I completed the optional essay on professionalism, but I left the educational history section blank. I had a couple of things I thought might need explaining, like a lower than average GPA and a below full time credits semester. But I didn't think either of them warranted an explaination.

13. in4mant

in4mant Member
    5+ Year Member

i can write an essay on (pretty much) any subject as long as it's not explained in the amcas, right?

14. popbirch

popbirch Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    last year they asked something about professionalism, I think. But if there wasn't a prompt, then I think anything would do. Just like a 2nd personal statement, but I didn't put the same amount of effort into secondaries as I did on my PS.

15. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    damn.. as a kid who attends BU for undergrad, i feel obligated to write something in the optional section.. like why i like BU etc. etc.. this is not as easy as i thought it would be.

16. TSK

TSK Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good morning all, I just spoke with a very nice lady in the BU admissions office and she confirmed that the narrative/timeline of your educational history is optional. :)

17. floridakppr

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    On the prerequisite grid, what is a preferred institution? Any non-community college, AP credit-granting high school, or distance learning school would be non-preferred, right?

18. floridakppr

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll learn to scroll down and read all information some day:

Preferred Institutions include 4-year undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate programs in accredited U.S. or Canadian schools

19. dimebag darrell

5+ Year Member

Thanks TSK!

20. CptCrunch

CptCrunch Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good to know. Thanks!

21. in4mant

in4mant Member
    5+ Year Member

have most of you filled out the optional essay mentioned above

22. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i dont think i am

but did you include your english classes in the humanities section?

23. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    if u double list the english class, i would just mention that its doubled in the space below

24. TSK

TSK Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No essay for me, unless you have something really pertinent to say, they probably think it's a pain in the ass to read an essay that they just said was most likely unnecessary.

Also, the grid is just for statistical purposes so don't worry about it too much! :luck:

25. Hkoser

Hkoser Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I did not required english or writing classes. I think they meant poetry, Shakespeare etc

26. burntfries

burntfries Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yes but how is this different from the first column? if we took all our prereqs in the same place, do we just repeat the numbers?