Business cards as a student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExploringOptions

Reaction score
Quick question! I am attending a conference, where I hope to network and meet some potential mentors for PhD programs (currently a Master's student). I know many of the people I hope to apply to work with will be at this conference. Is it a good/bad idea to bring some sort of business card to pass out (only if they ask! I would NOT be throwing them around like candy) If so, what would you suggest putting on it? IF I make one, I was thinking, name, school, program name, mentor name?, email address, linked in profile.
For established pros would you recommend for or against this, or neutral? I will be applying next cycle, so I thought it might help make me memorable in their mind if they keep the card and then see my name at the app time. It might job their memory. You know priming and all...
Oh, and would you include your photo on it or not?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's a neat idea, so long as you don't overdo it (e.g., LinkedIn and a photo) or list something that could be construed as misrepresenting your credentials. I'd keep it bare bones. If they're interested in working with or seeing a picture of you, they'll type your name into a Google search bar.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's a neat idea, so long as you don't overdo it (e.g., LinkedIn and a photo) or list something that could be construed as misrepresenting your credentials. I'd keep it bare bones. If they're interested in working with or seeing a picture of you, they'll type your name into a Google search bar.
Thanks! I was thinking bare bones on the front with my research interests on the back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was strongly advised to have some bare bones business cards for my first conference for networking purposes and was so glad I did. More people than I expected asked for one and some of those people later sent me articles of interest. Mine have the following:

First and Last Name, MA
Future Clinical Psychologist
University email address
PhD Student

On the back I have a quote I find inspiring. The design overall is very simple and there is space for people to jot a word or two if they wish. I observed a number of people doing this at the conference and was glad my cards were grey.

I think bringing simple business cards is a great idea. I was just at a conference and met several people with whom I’d like to keep in touch- I found myself wishing I had cards with me. Someone I met (a fellow doctoral student) did have simple business cards with her name, program, institution, and contact info, and it was perfect. Networking is one of the best (and most fun) aspects of these things I think.

What do people think about a link to researchgate on your cards if you’ve got an active profile? One other person I met asked for my researchgate profile specifically and we connected that way. Another way would be a poster printout with your contact info (if you’re presenting a poster there). That adds a little context to it.

I was strongly advised to have some bare bones business cards for my first conference for networking purposes and was so glad I did. More people than I expected asked for one and some of those people later sent me articles of interest. Mine have the following:

First and Last Name, MA
University email address
PhD Student

On the back I have a quote I find inspiring. The design overall is very simple and there is space for people to jot a word or two if they wish. I observed a number of people doing this at the conference and was glad my cards were grey.

I would actually caution students against having anything (business card,email signature etc..) with future job titles, it has the potential to come across poorly. I would also avoid quotes. If you have a business card as a student best to stick to basics: Name, degrees earned to date, program/institution information, and contact information.

For conferences where I am presenting, I actually find it helpful to have a handout summarizing my poster/presentation and my contact information on that.

First and Last Name, MA
University email address
PhD Student

I'd avoid any use of the word "psychologist," as in many places it's a legally protected term, even when paired with qualifiers like "future." Minimal chance that it would land you in any trouble, but it's technically not a 0% chance and thus should be avoided. Call yourself what you are- "Doctoral Student". Otherwise, I thinks it's a good idea.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd avoid any use of the word "psychologist," as in many places it's a legally protected term, even when paired with qualifiers like "future." Minimal chance that it would land you in any trouble, but it's technically not a 0% chance and thus should be avoided. Call yourself what you are- "Doctoral Student". Otherwise, I thinks it's a good idea.

I decided to go with degree type candidate listed. So for example “master’s of clinical psychology candidate” (not mine, just an example). I ordered 40 cards. Think that’s enough?

Whats your business? Business card offerings suggests a service is being offered to the person, no? This is how it was 20-30 years ago anyway.

If you are networking (which it seems), intro yourself and what you are interested in doing/contributing as doctoral student/future psychologists/Ph.D. Then send follow-up email.

Last edited:
Whats your business? Business card offerings suggests a service is being offered to the person, no? This is how it was 20-30 years ago anyway.

If you are networking (which it seems), intro yourself and what you are interested in doing/contributing as doctoral student/future psychologists/Ph.D.
Of course I am going to introduce myself etc. As I said before I’m not planning on running around throwing them at people. And yes, in a way I am offering a service, researching for them. If asked how to get in touch, only then will I hand one out. So far, you’re the only naysayer to the idea. Curious as to why?

Of course I am going to introduce myself etc. As I said before I’m not planning on running around throwing them at people. And yes, in a way I am offering a service, researching for them. If asked how to get in touch, only then will I hand one out. So far, you’re the only naysayer to the idea. Curious as to why?

Cause I don't know what business/service you are offering?
Being a potential graduate student? I have "business cards" from plumbers, accountants and car salesman in my wallet. But few others.

Personal and Academic Intro and a CV...fine. Otherwise, seems strange to me. Maybe I am out of touch with current norms/trends in academia?

Last edited:
Cause I don't know what business/service you are offering?
Being a potential graduate student? I have "business cards" from plumbers, accountants and car salesman in my wallet. But few others.

Personal and Academic Intro and a CV...fine. Otherwise, seems strange to me. Maybe I am out of touch with current norms/trends in academia?
I think it would be stranger to walk around with my CV in hand, but to each their own

I think it would be stranger to walk around with my CV in hand, but to each their own

Every quality Bloke isn't/should't be a walking advert.

I''m old fashioned, perhaps? Do neither.

I've been out of school for a while now, but I network with trainees at various levels, and if anything it is usually me giving them my business card rather than the other way around. I don't think it hurts, but for the purpose of networking with future mentors it is unnecessary. Generally you're emailing/reaching out to them, rather than the other way around.

I've been out of school for a while now, but I network with trainees at various levels, and if anything it is usually me giving them my business card rather than the other way around. I don't think it hurts, but for the purpose of networking with future mentors it is unnecessary. Generally you're emailing/reaching out to them, rather than the other way around.
Thanks! I'll bring them with me, and if anyone asks, I have them. If not, that's okay too. I decided I would rather be prepared than be asked and not have one to give out. I appreciate the advice!