business / econ majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nichols195

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
have any of you had anyone question your choice of major in such a way that seemed they were suspicious of your motives (like being in it for the money)? i have heard of other business majors having this problem in an interview (i didnt hear it i actually read it in a random post from someone on this site so who knows)

if this is ever the case it seems rather unfair to the applicant....

list your acceptances/rejects here

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm an econ major. I haven't heard anything of the sort yet in my interviews. Usually, if anything, people ask why I chose my major. I just explain them the reasons why and how I decided on medicine after choosing that major. You should be fine as long as you know that you want to go into medicine for the love of it, not the love of money.

Originally posted by nichols195
have any of you had anyone question your choice of major in such a way that seemed they were suspicious of your motives (like being in it for the money)? i have heard of other business majors having this problem in an interview (i didnt hear it i actually read it in a random post from someone on this site so who knows)

if this is ever the case it seems rather unfair to the applicant....

list your acceptances/rejects here

Yeah that was my post you read. There is no disadvantage to being an econ/business major, it is just that there is no advantage. My friends had no problems ultimately though because they reconciled their interest in medicine with their interest in the way markets work and how (one of them) is interested in more equitable distributions of wealth for poorer countries.

As long as you dont sound like someone who couldnt find a job on Wall St. you are OK

Members don't see this ad :)
in a mock interview with an ex-interviewer from UCI, my motives were definitely questioned. Went something like this: "if you were offered a CEO position right now, which would you choose? Med school or the job? I haven't had any issues with this in my real interviews though.

Finance major here...

You will definitely be asked about your major at every interview. The difference is the tone of the question, I've gotten a range from politely inquisitive to overtly combative. Be prepared to explain why you chose your major, and how it affects your outlook on medicine. I also got asked once about how I would feel about being at a disadvantage to the science majors in my med school courses.

Finance here, you can always remind them, atleats in my case, that you have a ton of freinds out there right now not being able to get jobs and probably wotn change anytime soon, tough to go to business these days in this ****y ass market. but honestly, unless you are very good or work many years and work your way up, its tough to make as much money in business as you probaly will in med..i cant really see money being an issue. As far as a more superficial type job and envirmoent, well it inherently is, and that is primarly why i didnt pursue the business world.. im sure its not a prob as far as getting in

thanks everyone

cant somebody just be interested in learning about business without having their motives for medicine questioned!

oh well...we'll see how it goes, goodluck to you all

I feel your pain bro...

Sadly, some Finance/pre-meds I know were in it for the money, they applied to med school only when they realized they wouldn't be able to get I-banking jobs in this economy

maybe you could say that you were clueless about the business side of medicine and chose to major in business/econ/ect, to gain insight into how a medical practice should operate...but i dunno, i was a science person....
i always list the business side of med as one of my weaknesses.
streetdoc