Business Healthcare to Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burntorange

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I actually did my masters at a medical school, and after speaking with my adviser and many professors (many of whom are MD's) they tell me that anything that differentiates you from the pack and shows your unique experiences will be beneficial. As long as the rest of your app is in order (MCAT, GPA, volunteer experience) I don't see how it can hurt.

Nontrad experience comes into play after you meet the academic requirements. Job experience is not a factor if you don't have the stats.

Once you get an interview, your experience (as described in your PS and as presented in answers to interview questions) can set you apart, if you bring maturity and insights from your job. On the other hand (and the following is not to be taken as personal), if you're stuck on prestige, or if you only bring stories about how unreasonably complicated the paperwork is, and if you thus don't bring a mature and insightful perspective on healthcare delivery to your interview, then it's just another job.

Your job experience will be fairly unique on paper, which will be at worst neutral. Whether you make your reality worth the reviewer's interest, by having learned from your experience, is up to you.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you've been an intern? And at a prestigious place? Now that's about to impress someone in admissions :rolleyes:.

Biggest danger will be the concern that you're motivated solely by the money angle, or administrative. No one want to train a doctor just so he can go run an HMO, or a hostipal chain. So, make sure you bulk up on your humanistc/altruistic ECs.

And yes, seeing things from your perspective is different.

Just thought I'd see how "unique" my experiences are and whether they would give me an edge or not during the application process.

Previously, I've interned at a Fortune 100 insurance company in the workers compensation department, dealing with injured workers, contacting physicians/nurses, going through physician reports, and ensuring that the workers returned to work as soon as possible. It was a lot more healthcare then business and I even had to learn medical terminology (as well as insurance concepts/best practices) on the job.

Also, currently I am interning at a prestigious consulting firm in the health and benefits department overseeing the health and benefits packages of other companies, addressing client needs and resolving issues on behalf of the client. A lot of excel work to make sure the finances are in order and creating RFP (request for proposals) with health insurance vendors. That on top of other things.

So, how does this look being a non-trad? Would adcoms see this as something that differentiates me from the pack or something that maybe doesn't equate to a passion in medicine (seeing as my focus is different). I have clinical experience and research as well.

Let me know what you other non-trads think. And also, if there's anyone else in the same shoes I'm in! :)

Last edited:
I started in medical billing and coding. Not sure how advantageous it is since I didn't do a prestigious internship anywhere but it gave me 7 years experience in many specialties behind the scenes.

As other have posted, job experience is great if you can take the lessons and apply it. It is all about how you present it. Since your stats are good you shouldn't have to much trouble getting interviews. If they offer an interview then your stats are not an issue. They have too many applicants to interview people who wouldn't qualify due to the numbers. So where you will hopefully shine is in your interview....having many adcom friends this is what can take a great applicant on paper and destroy them. Just remember you are on the whole day, to every person you talk with from janitor to current student to adcom to secretary.
Most undergrad universities offer interview training, etc. not saying that you're bad at interviewing...but that day is so important I wouldn't take any chances. Plus you will be interviewing a lot through your career...so good skill to hone!
I worked in a top financial company doing tech support, training and consulting when I decided to go back to school....so yes it can be done!
Hope that helps,
Marcia
GA-PCOM 2011
EM/IM resident
Www.oldpremeds.org
Conference June 6-9 Washington DC

As other have posted, job experience is great if you can take the lessons and apply it. It is all about how you present it. Since your stats are good you shouldn't have to much trouble getting interviews. If they offer an interview then your stats are not an issue. They have too many applicants to interview people who wouldn't qualify due to the numbers. So where you will hopefully shine is in your interview....having many adcom friends this is what can take a great applicant on paper and destroy them. Just remember you are on the whole day, to every person you talk with from janitor to current student to adcom to secretary.
Most undergrad universities offer interview training, etc. not saying that you're bad at interviewing...but that day is so important I wouldn't take any chances. Plus you will be interviewing a lot through your career...so good skill to hone!
I worked in a top financial company doing tech support, training and consulting when I decided to go back to school....so yes it can be done!
Hope that helps,
Marcia
GA-PCOM 2011
EM/IM resident
Www.oldpremeds.org
Conference June 6-9 Washington DC
/

Last edited: