This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abertaboy11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently an Alberta resident going to school at Arizona State University and set to graduate in Spring 2018 with a Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance. I've recently decided to look into the possibility of applying to med school in Western Canada since becoming a doctor is something I've always wanted to do but didn't think possible. I haven't really taken any of the pre-reqs (being a business major and all) and have a 3.87 GPA. I am at ASU as a D1 athlete which is why i never pursued a science undergraduate, and have one year of eligibility left after this to potentially knock off some pre-reqs after I graduate if necessary. I've heard some schools like U of C don't require pre-reqs. I haven't written the MCAT but feel I could achieve an average or slightly above average grade if I studied hard for it. On top of that, I feel overall I have a pretty good resume considering extracurriculars. I would just like to get some thoughts on whether I even have a chance at getting into med school in Western Canada or if I'm dreaming and need to move on.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is pretty good, I think you have a chance. Go for schools that have no pre-reqs. Look into UofC, Queens, McMaster. Theres a few other schools that may have gotten rid of their pre-reqs like UofA, but I can't be sure. Just go through all the websites of each medical school to find out.

It is possible though, with a good GPA, it is worth trying to knock the MCAT out of the park particularly focus on the CARS section since it is important for a lot of medical schools like McMaster (which only looks at CARS).

Good luck.

You would have a good shot since you're from AB, at Calgary and Alberta for sure.