Business Major with love for science....Do I have a chance to be an OB/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

business2medicine

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an International Business and Spanish double major and I want to become an OBGYN. Do I have a chance considering the major I am in?

Members don't see this ad.

i was a french major. you can major in anything you want as long as you fulfill the premed requirements.

oh, and as a non-science major i would recommend taking a few more upper-level science courses, beyond the basic requirements, to prove that you can really handle a heavy science load. good luck!

i just realized you're new here, too. welcome to SDN! you're already off to a great start. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN :D

I double majored in Spanish and Latin American Studies, and I'm headed to med school next year. Have you taken the prereq courses yet? This can definitely be done, you just have to plan ahead to allow space for all of the required courses. :)

I am going to get my undergraduate degree first and then go back and take the science courses so that I can be working at the same time. Do you think that is a good idea?

becoming an OBGYN relates only to your time in medical school. it's a residency program after you have completed your 4 years of med school. so it doesn't really matter!

What i mean is will I have a chance to get into medical school?

Your major(s) should have nothing to do with your chances of getting in to med school. What does matter are your grades in your major and more importantly, your grades in the pre-reqs you need to take before applying. Also in there are your MCAT scores, your personal statement, and very importantly, your extracurriculars. Your non-science double major is the least of your worries. Focus on graduating and then tackling those post-bac science courses, the MCAT, and clinical experiences!

With those majors, you absolutely have a chance to get into med school, and to become a very successful OBGYN. As others have mentioned, take upper-level science classes (not classes for non-science majors) and get actively involved in some good extracurricular activities. You'll be fine. Good luck!