Business major would like some feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feathr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
close

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes, fall 2013 entrance. didn't do community service in college prior to jr year, but i did do some in highschool.

throughout college i was unsure whether or not i wanted to go in medicine (either medicine, big pharma, or healthcare focused management consulting). kept it on the backburner for a bit. after my internship, i was certain it was what i wanted to pursue and began to give my full commitment. i realized that i wanted the patient interaction and to make personal connections, rather than play a small part in the billion dollar drug industry.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am reassured that you'll be developing your ECs over the next 1.5 years or so, which has a better chance of resulting in a solid application more likely to appeal to a broad range of schools.

High school activities are not generally included on a med school application unless the activity continued into the college years. Is there any chance you could resume the HS activity over breaks when you're home?

With the planned shadowing, 1.5 years+ of clinical experience, 2+ years of research and a publication, with the leadership and teaching/mentoring you describe, and some additional nonmedical, noncampus community service, I think you'll be in good shape.

dont think i'll be able to continue those HS activities (family moved after i graduated HS).

also i was wondering, would physician shadows be appropriate for writing recommendation letters?

If you think you'll be asked for a physician letter, then you'd ask a physician you've shadowed to provide it, however most typically one is asked for two letters from science faculty who taught you, one non-science, and a research advisor.

Maybe you could get started on some other form of community service or take on an identical role with another organization?

i'll look into more ways to get involved. thanks for the feedback!