Business Mind and Lonliness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

100AY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-health considering dentistry as a career. I think this forum is best for addressing my question since it applies to practicing dentists.

Most dentists eventually buy into a practice or start one themselves. How good of a business mind do you need to have? Many students see owning a business as a plus, but I fear it. I do not have a way (or do not know a way) to gauge may aptitude for being able to run a business. Have you ever feared that your business may not do well or even fail that you have to close it?

Second, since you are working in a office with a few other employees, is lonliness ever a problem. If you are a physician, you have the option to work at a large hospital with colleagues all around you. You don't have to be friends but at least there will a lot of people around. I'm by no means an extrovert or avoid being alone at all costs, but I do have doubts on whether I can work in a confined space for an entire career.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a pre-health considering dentistry as a career. I think this forum is best for addressing my question since it applies to practicing dentists.

Most dentists eventually buy into a practice or start one themselves. How good of a business mind do you need to have? Many students see owning a business as a plus, but I fear it. I do not have a way (or do not know a way) to gauge may aptitude for being able to run a business. Have you ever feared that your business may not do well or even fail that you have to close it?

Second, since you are working in a office with a few other employees, is lonliness ever a problem. If you are a physician, you have the option to work at a large hospital with colleagues all around you. You don't have to be friends but at least there will a lot of people around. I'm by no means an extrovert or avoid being alone at all costs, but I do have doubts on whether I can work in a confined space for an entire career.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

You will most likely associate or work in corporate dentistry for a couple years or more before taking on your own practice. Remember that no one has a business mind only a mind capable of business. If you can wrap your head around dentistry you can take on business.

The major difference being you have to teach yourself THE business. A 7/11 operates much different than a Dental practice. Dentaltown is a great source for specific seminars and material related to dental practice management.

Read books on management and business as well. Rest easy its rare for a General dentist to run a practice into the ground.. but it happens.

Regarding the lonely aspect of it.

Dont shi* where you sleep. Hire people you like but freinds are for your personal life and shouldn't be made with people who work FOR you. Typical dental office will have 4-7 employees.

Owning a practice is hard to get out of.. you better like where you work because you will be stuck there for awhile.