Business Skills Learned in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alucidinterval

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been on these boards for a while but generally just read them for information. Recently, I've been doing a paper for my sophomore level English class related to the use of Business Writing in Medical/Dental field, why its important, and whether most dentists (or doctors) out of school are proficient in business skills. I figured practicing dentists would have the best input on this topic, so this was the place to ask. My teacher told me that I could use message boards for sources as long as I justified why the information on the forums was a valid source for the field.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1. If you write a sloppy letter to an insurance company concerning treatment for a given patient and you DO NOT get paid!

2. Write an incomplete or "unprecise" notes in the patient record could get you involved in a court case.

3. Without great writing skills forget about getting the grant money for the community health dental clinic.

4. If your writing skills are not so good you will have to rely on your staff to do much of your communication. That is a problem because you lose privacy and it will cost you some money.

5. Poor written communication within the dental community (i.e. referrals, letters of reference, shared patient notes, case presentations, etc.) makes you look like a dolt.

Dental students should be given a course in writing, much the way law students take a course in legal writing. It would be a great improvement to the profession. After reading hundreds of residency application essays, I can affirm that this is necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well i suggest to everyone specially to those persons which are related to medical field like me. We should have to get more command on essays writing. Cause it helps us to much. Even we can get more experience from it.

The grammatical errors in your post are so abundant that I initially thought you were joking about the services you provide.

I think you aren't, and I am therefore very scared for those that have used your essay services.

I work with doctors and dentists guiding their tax, cash management, investment, retirement, divorce, college planning, insurances, banking, leasing, corporate structure and benefits decisions, business strategies, as well as estate and asset preservation planning, outside businesses, etc. It is true that those with too little business acumen are "too expensive" for the best financial advisors, so we avoid them, even those that are doing well grossing money in their practices. The doctor who is sure of him or herself, but ignorant of another professional field, can often be identified from the way they speak, write, ask questions, and present themselves and their practices by the spoken and written word. The business community will often not tolerate this arrogance/ignorance combination well, and the offending doctor may not realize how badly he is disadvantaged as a direct result of his communications. Business etiquette matters.

I work with doctors and dentists guiding their tax, cash management, investment, retirement, divorce, college planning, insurances, banking, leasing, corporate structure and benefits decisions, business strategies, as well as estate and asset preservation planning, outside businesses, etc. It is true that those with too little business acumen are "too expensive" for the best financial advisors, so we avoid them, even those that are doing well grossing money in their practices. The doctor who is sure of him or herself, but ignorant of another professional field, can often be identified from the way they speak, write, ask questions, and present themselves and their practices by the spoken and written word. The business community will often not tolerate this arrogance/ignorance combination well, and the offending doctor may not realize how badly he is disadvantaged as a direct result of his communications. Business etiquette matters.

Does this mean that many of your prospective DDS/MD clients come off as arrogant?