hankea4

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Just wanted to start a thread here for the BUSPH incoming class to network, ask questions, etc.

I'm planning on concentrating in epidemiology and doing the PAMP sub-concentration. I graduated 2 years ago from a relatively small southern college and I've been living in Boston for the past 2 years. This is a great city! Would love to hear from the rest of you out there...

Nov 21, 2009
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hey All,
I will be going to BUSPH in the fall to concentrate in MCH/IH. I have been in the Peace Corps for the last two years but am really looking forward to being in Boston and am planning on moving there this summer when I get back to the states.

Oct 8, 2009
Status
Psychology Student
I got in for Epi!! Did anyone else get a scholarship? I'm making my final decision. It's between BU and USF..

beebee0

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just wanted to start a thread here for the BUSPH incoming class to network, ask questions, etc.

I'm planning on concentrating in epidemiology and doing the PAMP sub-concentration. I graduated 2 years ago from a relatively small southern college and I've been living in Boston for the past 2 years. This is a great city! Would love to hear from the rest of you out there...
I visited Boston U and it was great! I was also interested in the PAMP program, do you know more details about it? I want to go to BU but their MPH-Health Policy and Management program is not accredited. So I'm hesitating.

hankea4

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
I visited Boston U and it was great! I was also interested in the PAMP program, do you know more details about it? I want to go to BU but their MPH-Health Policy and Management program is not accredited. So I'm hesitating.
Right - BUSPH's HPM program is not CAHME accredited, although to be honest i'm not sure what kind of impact that has on academics or job prospects afterwords. I would guess a CAHME accredidation would be looked upon favorably by recruiting hospital administrators, but to be honest I work in biopharma now and I'm not sure CAHME accreditation would matter much if you wanted to work in that industry. The value of attending a CAHME accredited program probably depends on what you want to do with your MPH afterwords and what sector you want to work in - I welcome others to comment who may know more.

Regarding PAMP - PM me if you have any questions. I only know the basics of the program, but I'm happy to help out where I can!

Jun 4, 2009
CA
Status
I also attended accepted students day on Friday and was impressed with the program (HPM) and faculty (specifically Professor Sager). Personally speaking, I am not worried about CAHME accreditation. I have talked extensively with the director of the PAMP program and it is very enticing (as it is the only program like it in the country).

The question now: is it worth it to turn down a free ride to UTexas or cheap tuition at UFlorida in order to pay for the PAMP program, networking (specifically pharma), and multitude of opportunities (classes and research opportunities) at BU??? :confused:

Making my decision by the end of the week...

beebee0

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
I also attended accepted students day on Friday and was impressed with the program (HPM) and faculty (specifically Professor Sager). Personally speaking, I am not worried about CAHME accreditation. I have talked extensively with the director of the PAMP program and it is very enticing (as it is the only program like it in the country).

The question now: is it worth it to turn down a free ride to UTexas or cheap tuition at UFlorida in order to pay for the PAMP program, networking (specifically pharma), and multitude of opportunities (classes and research opportunities) at BU??? :confused:

Making my decision by the end of the week...
What other school choices do you have so far, may i ask? I am worried about the accreditation because the students that I talked with at HPM said that they were having a hard time getting a summer internship. I really would like to live in Boston, but just not sure what happens after I graduate from there...

Jun 4, 2009
CA
Status
Was accepted to Emory, UIC, Ohio State, BU, UT, and UF.

Personally, I plan on working a research assistantship 20hrs/week throughout the program and will also take classes over the summer.

hankea4

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
What other school choices do you have so far, may i ask? I am worried about the accreditation because the students that I talked with at HPM said that they were having a hard time getting a summer internship. I really would like to live in Boston, but just not sure what happens after I graduate from there...
Do you happen to know what kind of jobs they were looking at? (e.g., policy, hospital administration, health services resarch etc?) It might have more to do with the competitiveness of the application pool and # of available spots versus program accreditation...did those students had an opinion about this?

Jun 4, 2009
CA
Status
Classes: Received my early bird access last week and finished signing up for classes on Friday. Taking 6 classes, totaling 16 units.

Housing: its kind of a pain since I will be moving from CA... Anyone have any suggestions about the moving process or locations? As of right now I am keeping my options open: South End, Bay Bay, Fenway/Kenmore, Allston/Brighton, Longview Med Center. Planning on moving to Boston Aug. 1 unless I can find a part-time job before school starts. I recently posted housing wanted ad on craigslist, and have actually received a lot of responses. However, most of interested parties were located in Allston/Brighton and wanted me to move in asap, or June/July. Is it too early to start looking into housing?

Working: Also looking for a part-time research position. Emailed some professors last week but have not heard anything back yet...

hankea4

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
I live in Boston now. I would recommend the South End because of it's proximity to campus. Beacon Hill and Back Bay are great as well, though pricey. You may want to also look at Allston/Brighton/Brookline because you can catch the BU shuttle from the Charles River campus and near by locations to BUMC and it's free of charge. Have to admit, though, I wouldn't recommend Allston as much though cuz it's packed with undergrads and its the loudest/least appealing location in your list.

Only other thing I want to mention is that do a test commute or look up the approx travel time on www.mbta.com before you sign a lease. Though some places might not be far "distance wise," commutes can be tricky depending on where you're coming from so pay close attention to those details.

In other news - has anyone heard back yet about financial aid? I sent them my application in Feb and recieved a confirmation email, but I have yet to recieve the details/package. Kinda frustrated at the moment.