1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

BUSPH Increases Number and Amount of Merit Scholarships

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by gsbound, Jan 5, 2009.

1. gsbound

2+ Year Member

BUSPH Increases Number and Amount of Merit Scholarships

A Special Message from the Dean
    December 2008

Boston University School of Public Health recognizes that the current economy has created an especially difficult financial climate for many prospective students interested in pursuing a post-graduate degree in public health.

In response, the School has recently committed to making a substantial increase in the number and amount of merit scholarships to be awarded to highly competitive master's degree students who will enter the program in 2009. We are making this effort to ensure that BUSPH continues to attract students of outstanding ability and promise during an economic downturn that may cause some to consider postponing their educations.

Merit scholarship award winners will receive notification of these grants in their acceptance letters. BUSPH merit awards are made in addition to any need-based aid for which students are eligible. Need-based scholarships are coordinated by the Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS) , a resource of the Boston University Medical Campus.

The public health challenges that face the world require the skills of professionals well- trained in the core competencies and scientific principles necessary to practice public health effectively and at a high level. BUSPH remains committed to providing an unsurpassed public health education and to attracting the best and brightest students to the field.

Robert F. Meenan, MD, MPH, MBA
    Dean

:thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ImPublicHealthy

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I am curious...
    has anyone who has been accepted to BUSPH been awarded a merit-based scholarship in your acceptance letter?

4. klm7552

klm7552 New Member
    2+ Year Member

my acceptance letter came in mid-November (I submitted everything embarrassingly early) and I just now inquired about the merit scholarships- the response was that they will begin to award them next week or the week following.

*may be specific to Epi, I asked the OSFS and they directed me to ask "my department."

5. dr37

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    i have been accepted for spring and i din't get any funding...:confused: unh..unh..

6. gsbound

2+ Year Member

I can now say that yes, it'll be in the official letter.

7. kulalala

i was accepted to BU back in the fall and just got notified of a merit scholarship recently

8. nimesis

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I was accepted to BU last Friday and I got notice of a merit award today so they don't necessarily come together at the same time.

9. gsbound

2+ Year Member

:thumbup: or :thumbdown: to your offers?

I gotta say :thumbdown:

10. nimesis

2+ Year Member

Well BU was my backup school and since I got into Emory I doubt I'll be going to BU. I'm still waiting for Berkeley and UCLA cause I live on the west coast and I'd like to stay here if possible.

11. ImPublicHealthy

2+ Year Member

I was accepted to BU in December and I just got a merit scholarship in the mail today ($10,000...not so great i guess, but better than nothing).

12. futureepi

7+ Year Member

I was accepted sometime early last week and received the 10K merit offer as well. Still costs significantly more than Minnesota and, to my knowledge, isn't as strong a program for Epi (MPH)? Am I correct in this assumption?

13. jdando

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Got the 10k merit scholarship today, too.

The program is still crazy expensive!

14. watereverywhere

2+ Year Member

What programs did you all apply to?

I just submitted my app to BUSPH last week... hoping for the best! :rolleyes:

15. MaldenJay

I was actually pretty happy with my merit award from BU. What are some of the other schools offering? I haven't heard back yet from my other schools.