But mixing M.D.s with D.O.s is like telling dogs to bunk with cats.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brucecanbeatyou

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At least that's what a reporter wrote in an article in the Star-Telegram. Here is the article.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/columnists/bud_kennedy/story/1089676.html

WTF, Texas Osteopathic Medical Association? First, they sell the idea that "there's no difference between MD and DO" when starting the program in the 60's, then fight against their school offering both degees? It is actions like this that cause journalists to write completely untrue stuff like "mixing M.D.s with D.O.s is like telling dogs to bunk with cats." The last thing that DO's need is for people to think that they are in a war with MD's.

And what is this commitment to "osteopathy" that they are talking about? We don't live in the UK. In the US, there is no such thing as an osteopath. There are chiropractors, and there are Osteopathic Physicians, but there are no osteopaths. According to the president of the AOA, we're not even supposed to refer to ourselves as osteopaths.

Osteopathy is dead. DO's are physicians, not osteopaths. When are DO's going to get over this identity crisis?

Members don't see this ad.

When are DO's going to get over this identity crisis?

Seriously.

I think its hard for them to on one side distinguish themselves from their counterparts, then cling to them when they get the "What exactly is a DO?"

"mixing M.D.s with D.O.s is like telling dogs to bunk with cats." The last thing that DO's need is for people to think that they are in a war with MD's.
I'd like this journalist to come visit the ER I volunteer in. Just last week, I saw an MD ask a DO for advice (please don't misperceive this - I'm not trying to make a statement that DO's are more knowledgeable than MD's, but, rather, that the two are equal. I've seen DO's ask MD's for advice, too)

But... let's be honest. This is a battle that wages on only in the minds of those who are on the outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
We're having this same conversation in the TCOM 08-09 thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525691

From the jist of it, it seems that there is already a mounting opposition to it. The President of UNT is also under examination, along with the reasoning behind making a broad announcement so early in consideration for the change.

But, it's not like this hasn't been done before. I think MSU and UMDNJ have both DO and MD programs with separate admissions.

But... let's be honest. This is a battle that wages on only in the minds of those who are on the outside.

yep. anyone who works in a hospital know this.

That journalist is absolutely right

dog_eating_cat.jpg

I don't trust myself. If I had to go to school with allo students I might be tempted to bite the first one I see.

dog_eating_cat.jpg

I don't trust myself. If I had to go to school with allo students I might be tempted to bite the first one I see.

I think that dog is just performing osteopathic manipulative treatment, that's all.

We're having this same conversation in the TCOM 08-09 thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525691

From the jist of it, it seems that there is already a mounting opposition to it. The President of UNT is also under examination, along with the reasoning behind making a broad announcement so early in consideration for the change.

But, it's not like this hasn't been done before. I think MSU and UMDNJ have both DO and MD programs with separate admissions.

I live in Fort Worth. I entered UNTHSC's MS program with high hopes. I was utterly disappointed. So disappointed, in fact, that I left the program after less than 4 weeks and did not select them when applying to medical school. Why? They were so focused on competing with UT Southwestern, and developing themselves as a research institution that they had lost all focus on the students and patient care.

It now makes perfect sense.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I figure each student has their own perceptions, but I'm glad that you've found a place that suits your style. It's a shame that TCOM didn't match what you were looking for despite getting into their SMP.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I figure each student has their own perceptions, but I'm glad that you've found a place that suits your style. It's a shame that TCOM didn't match what you were looking for despite getting into their SMP.

Yeah, it sucks because I had hoped to stay in the DFW area because of family/friends. It's all good though. I got into Texas Tech, but actually think I am going to accept LECOM's offer instead. (Cost of living/budget issues.)

Good luck to you!

At least that's what a reporter wrote in an article in the Star-Telegram. Here is the article.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/columnists/bud_kennedy/story/1089676.html

WTF, Texas Osteopathic Medical Association? First, they sell the idea that "there's no difference between MD and DO" when starting the program in the 60's, then fight against their school offering both degees? It is actions like this that cause journalists to write completely untrue stuff like "mixing M.D.s with D.O.s is like telling dogs to bunk with cats." The last thing that DO's need is for people to think that they are in a war with MD's.

And what is this commitment to "osteopathy" that they are talking about? We don't live in the UK. In the US, there is no such thing as an osteopath. There are chiropractors, and there are Osteopathic Physicians, but there are no osteopaths. According to the president of the AOA, we're not even supposed to refer to ourselves as osteopaths.

Osteopathy is dead. DO's are physicians, not osteopaths. When are DO's going to get over this identity crisis?

I used to think that too, but there are certainly pure "osteopaths" in the US. Hell, they'll be the ones teaching your OMM course. However, they are a fully licensed physician that chooses to specialize in osteopathic manipulative medicine.

dog_eating_cat.jpg

LOL!!!

Bruce, SOMA said they'd make a decision by Wednesday, so we'll find out very soon if we'll be classmates or not!!!

Cute...looks like my Elsie. Substitute an overweight Siamese for the fluffy orange persian and you've got it. Her favorite trick, put the cat's head in her mouth. Cat doesn't like it though. :rolleyes:

dog_eating_cat.jpg