butterflies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DRY MOUTH
we all get it during interviews

how do YOU get rid of it?

Members don't see this ad.

suck on a mint or a piece of candy prior to the interview. works for me.

The best way is through practice. I dont mean practice with friends or parents. I say you should apply for positions on campus or wherever that you have interest in and go through the interviews for practice. It really helps.

Other than practice, try right before going in taking deep breath and clinch your muscles, let the breath out and relax and envision your anxiety leaving. It works.

Members don't see this ad :)
martianMIKE said:
suck on a mint or a piece of candy prior to the interview. works for me.
I used to eat a cough drop before my interviews just so I wouldn't be coughing all over the place. My mouth would always get dry and I didn't know if it was because I was nervous or the cough drop.

There's really nothing you can do. All you can do is try and swallow some saliva when the interview looks away. :)

Just googled this (some are more relevant than other):

Another problem many presenters have is the dreaded dry mouth syndrome. At one time or another it hits most speakers. No one is immune. In order to avoid and cure this problem, before making a presentation, consider the following seven guidelines:

Watch the foods you eat. Avoid caffeine, sugar, chocolate and dairy products. These items can make you thirsty and parched or create mucus.

Use Vaseline on your teeth. This helps your upper lip slide over the teeth and create saliva.

Bite the tip of your tongue. Don't bite so hard that it draws blood, just enough to create saliva (hey, that's pretty kewl!).

Drink plenty of water. Make sure it's room temperature or warm -- not ice-cold. Consider adding a wedge of lemon -- it can cut the phlegm, but may be too acidic for some stomachs.

Stop smoking and avoid alcoholic drinks. Both of these vices are hard on the throat.

Watch what you wear. Your clothing should be loose around the waist to help you breathe better and around the neck so it doesn't choke you.

Sit up straight! Your mother was right. Good posture while speaking can help your voice stay healthy.

<edit>guess i was wrong on the whole candy thing, sorry!</edit>

martianmike,
what a great post!
can't thank you enough!