Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Buy a car or save?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kakashi74, Apr 13, 2007.

1. kakashi74

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have quite a bit of savings (enough to buy a nice car), but not enough to finance my entire 4 year medical school education. Needless to say I will need to take out loans to pay for my tuition, cost of living, etc...
    If I don't buy a car, and use that towards my education, then at the end of 4 years I will basically have $20k less debt. But will this $20k make much of a difference when the entire debt will be around $150k, and you assume an average doctor's salary?

I would not be using my entire savings on a car. Pros for getting a car, I won't have to worry about my car breaking down during med school. My current car has not given me any troubles, but it is 6 years old. But mostly I want to get it because I just want it so baaaaaddly.

2. Soggun

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sounds to me like you just really want a car, not that you need it. A 6 year old car is really not that old and could well not give you any problems throughout the next 4 years - esp considering it hasnt given any yet. In any case, if it were me, I'd put it towards my education or just cost of living for the next 4 years. I think there is one lesson that I've learned through SDN that is very applicable here: Live llike a student now, live like a doctor later.

3. PepperMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Forget the car and put it towards a down-payment on a house or condo. At least property can give you some sort of return as an asset whereas a car loses half its value once you drive it off the lot.

4. mdvargas

mdvargas Crystal ball reader
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you know which school you're going for sure? If you do buy a car, you have to consider all that comes along with it, like maintenance, insurance, gas, parking fees, registration every year, etc. I would only get one if the schools recommends that you have reliable transportation to travel especially on your 3rd and 4th yrs. Otherwise, I would keep the cash until I have no choice but to get one, cuz you never know! :luck:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Agreed.

When you're driving your brand new car to the hospital parking garage day in and day out, nobody will care, I promise. Having a new car will probably be the LAST thing you care about at that point....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    OP
    kakashi74

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I thought about buying a condo, however given the current market, it is very likely that prices will be down over the next 4 years. Even if prices remain flat, if I am forced to move for residency, I think the money would have been better invested in a mutual fund. Also, I do not want the stress of making mortgage payments during med school.

7. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

If you're actually concerned about putting your money in a good place, a new car is probably the last thing you need to be considering.

8. PepperMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well there ya go. Mutual fund it is. Any investment would be better than a car. Besides, your new car will be lame in 4 years while your current car will become a "classic"!:p

9. lsumedgirl

lsumedgirl Livin' the dream!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As long as your current car is running fine and in good condition, save your money. If you didn't have a car, and needed one for school (depending upon the campus and various clinic locations), I'd say, yeah, find a nice used one, at a reasonable cost. But you've already got one. Who cares if it's 6 years old. After you finish school, then go for something nice and new.