Buy an IPAD -- YES/NO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrokenFlowers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My brother just bought an iPAD yesterday and he told me it's pretty cool. They have the kindle app too. Do you guys think it's a good idea to buy one for school?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the visualization of all chemical elements app is fantastic but I wouldn't buy it just for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I think the visualization of all chemical elements app is fantastic but I wouldn't buy it just for that."
But, but, you can spin all the pictures!

If you're even asking this question about an Apple product, don't buy it. Buy it if you want a toy. Any sort of real computer will be a better choice to get through pharmacy school.

I believe the iPad shows great potential and eventually this sort of device will be very important in the health field. I'm going to buy one, just not now. Never buy the first generation of anything.

The IPAD is a complete waste of money... Has anyone noticed it is basically just a Big Iphone that doesn't make calls?? How silly... I mean they should have come out with the IPad and then with the phone... It doesn't run flash just like the phone as well... You can buy a computer that does much more for that price and with more memory! An Ipad in my opinion is meant more for a parent who just plays the aps and checks their mail on their laptop...

My brother just bought an iPAD yesterday and he told me it's pretty cool. They have the kindle app too. Do you guys think it's a good idea to buy one for school?
If you're an idiot when it comes to technology, go right ahead. Waste the money on another of Apple's overpriced, under-spec'ed devices like the rest of the mindless drones who buy Apple's crap.

Hope you have a real laptop, though, to back you up if you're heading to pharmacy school. Then again, no one will take you seriously if you show up to a pharmacy class with an iPad.

But if you know what you're doing with technology, don't waste your money. Save it for pharmacy school tuition, especially if you were planning to get 3G (because really, why buy it just with Wi-Fi?)

Do you have more money than you know what to do with?

Then yes, buy an iPad

This guy is a bit of a douche, but read his review. An iPad may seem good to you because of a couple apps but you gotta factor in price and think about the whole picture.

http://www.reddit.com/tb/bm5wd

Members don't see this ad :)
The Ipad is a glorified Iphone, without the "phone" capability. If I were you and considering a tablet PC I'd hold out for the HP Slate. It runs Windows 7 as opposed to the Ipad running the Iphone OS, and it also runs flash applications. It'll probably be cheaper too.

So yeah, its a big iphone/ipod touch......key word=big

I have an iphone and i use it all the time for online homework (lon cappa, courseweb, etc.) BUT its a hassle because i cant see anything i have to constantly zoom in and out. But i do use it daily for these things. The ipad is simply to compete with the kindle, which is used to read books. Book publishers/editors know this, and are going to be putting all of there books in electronic copies (some have already done this-look under iTunesU). If you could carry this around instead of all of your books and a computer to do homework, it would be amazing. Pc's are a waste of money. I have had my mac for 3 years and is still faster than my boyfriends new hp.

So the cons-you cant use microsoft word on it, or any other software, which kinda sucks. But again it's not a computer.

I would wait until the next one comes out though, never buy the first generation.

please don't buy the ipad. advances in personal gadgets gets smaller not chunkier. i was told the ipad is for those with bigger fingers. plus the sound of ipad is not appealing. A future upgrade to the ipad might be called the ipad max.

I have a MBP and I love it, but I would never buy an iPad. That thing is just a waste of money. It's just a huge version of an iPod Touch. I have an iPod Touch and I only use it for music, nothing else.

I wouldn't even want one for free. That thing is an overpriced piece of garbage.

Just get a netbook unless you simply want a toy. A netbook is more powerful, faster, has more storage, and has a ton more functionality for way less.

Just get a netbook unless you simply want a toy. A netbook is more powerful, faster, has more storage, and has a ton more functionality for way less.

Agreed. IPad is a toy, nothing more. A giant iphone that can't make phone calls. Don't waste your money on this thing. Not yet at least.

No. I really don't see the point of the iPad where there is an iPhone already.

Ok, even if it was just a big iphone. The iPad doesn't cost over $2000 bucks like the iphone. A typical iphone cost 200-300 bucks. + the plans a required 30-35 dollars for the internet fee. 40 bucks for your minutes and that doesn't even include texting. Tack on another 20 bucks a month. Plus you're bind to a 2 year contract. This could cost upwards of 2000 dollars.
Everyone who says iPad is just a huge iphone, you guys are certainly right. Bigger in this case means better. Surfing the web on a ipad is so much easier than iphone. that puny screen in iphone doesn't compare to the ipad. Applications are bigger, funner, visually better. iWorks runs surprisingly smooth with the iPad.

Ok granted it isn't a MUST HAVE product...as is most thing in life. How many people really need something nowadays. It's all about showing off your gadgets. But none the less, if you have the money. It's a heck of a nice thing to have. It's by far more efficient than an iphone.

Just get an Ipod touch...

ipad-ipod-duct-tape.png

Ok, even if it was just a big iphone. The iPad doesn't cost over $2000 bucks like the iphone. A typical iphone cost 200-300 bucks. + the plans a required 30-35 dollars for the internet fee. 40 bucks for your minutes and that doesn't even include texting. Tack on another 20 bucks a month. Plus you're bind to a 2 year contract. This could cost upwards of 2000 dollars.
Everyone who says iPad is just a huge iphone, you guys are certainly right. Bigger in this case means better. Surfing the web on a ipad is so much easier than iphone. that puny screen in iphone doesn't compare to the ipad. Applications are bigger, funner, visually better. iWorks runs surprisingly smooth with the iPad.

Ok granted it isn't a MUST HAVE product...as is most thing in life. How many people really need something nowadays. It's all about showing off your gadgets. But none the less, if you have the money. It's a heck of a nice thing to have. It's by far more efficient than an iphone.
I'd like you to say the same thing if you had an iPad in your hand, and I had a sledgehammer in mine.

What are you tying to say? the ipad is suppose to replace the iphone?

I bought one today. I was actually thinking about buying a Kindle, but figured I might as well fork out the extra bucks and get an iPad. This way I don't have to lug around the Macbook Pro, since all I do most of the time is browse the web anyways. If you're not going to use the iBook feature, then just stick to the iPod touch. Don't waste your money. I can also leave my Ochem book at home too, because I have the entire book on PDF. Oh yea, I can stream Netflix movies on it too. So yea, it's not just a big iPod Touch. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone though. It really depends what your needs are. Don't just buy it because you want to be "cool." That's just dumb. :p

IF you are in the market for a tablet... the iPad, although I hate Apple for pandering to the uninformed, lazy, ignorant masses, is a "decent" tool.

The HP slate has been recommended before. Definitely something to look forward to. The JooJoo by Fusion Garage is also something to consider, and is out on sale as well. 12" screen.

However, you would be wise to look out for the ICD Gemini. Packs a Tegra 2 processor and Android OS. Very nice - link to Engadget (tech blog) right here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/icds-tegra-2-powered-gemini-is-the-most-feature-complete-tablet/

HP slate specs have been leaked...i'm not very impressed.

5hr battery life kills it =/ though i will give it props for having an SD card slot. Windows 7 + HP slate UI is unproven, but i'm curious to see how it compares to apple multitouch.

and it costs $50 more, we'll see.

I plan to buy a tablet notebook, so I can take notes during lectures. So, in terms of taking notes do you guys think iPad can handle this task? I haven't researched it in detail yet. One thing I know is that a third vendor is selling a stylus (pen) for iPad, but what about note taking softwares?

Last edited:
I don't think it would, honestly, bias aside. It tries, but it's, in the end, a primarily media-leaning device.

especially if you were planning to get 3G (because really, why buy it just with Wi-Fi?)
Wi-Fi? Apparently that doesn't even work like it should yet... Check out this NYT article: http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/wi-fi-woes-for-ipad/

"Some owners of the new Apple iPad reported problems with its Wi-Fi connection right out of the box. Earlier this week Apple acknowledged that accessing Wi-Fi networks with the iPad could be a problem, especially with third-party (non-Apple) wireless network routers."

It must be hot in that room with so many laptops running. That school gives out apple laptops to their students?

I like value. I like getting the most bang for my buck. I'd rather purchase something with amazing hardware specs and control the software myself. I like apple products, but they are just so overpriced. Nowadays, owning an apple product is a status indicator. People will buy the product just to show off to their family and friends. I know so many people who own Iphones and touches that don't even use the wifi function. Some of them will put up with crappy ATT service just to have the iphone. I almost pity some of my friends, but it's their choice. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I'm starting to feel that apple products like the Ipad are more aimed at the less tech savvy people who just want something light and simple to use. There's nothing wrong with that, but the Ipad just isn't for me. I like heavy laptops that are powerful enough to play graphic intensive games, something I'm afraid the Ipad could never handle.

but I'm starting to feel that apple products like the Ipad are more aimed at the less tech savvy people who just want something light and simple to use.

Duh. Apple products are for sheeple.

I like value. I like getting the most bang for my buck. I'd rather purchase something with amazing hardware specs and control the software myself. I like apple products, but they are just so overpriced. Nowadays, owning an apple product is a status indicator. People will buy the product just to show off to their family and friends. I know so many people who own Iphones and touches that don't even use the wifi function. Some of them will put up with crappy ATT service just to have the iphone. I almost pity some of my friends, but it's their choice. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I'm starting to feel that apple products like the Ipad are more aimed at the less tech savvy people who just want something light and simple to use. There's nothing wrong with that, but the Ipad just isn't for me. I like heavy laptops that are powerful enough to play graphic intensive games, something I'm afraid the Ipad could never handle.

You get A LOT of value out of a Macbook Pro. It's thin and sleek, has amazing build quality that's virtually unmatched in it's price range, it's reasonably powerful, and utilizes a very innovative OS. Lugging around a 17 inch 13 lb brick around "just because it can run Crysis" isn't my idea of value. HP tried to release a Macbook clone (HP Envy) that looked great on paper, but the shoddy build quality and ridiculous price (quite a bit above the macbook pro) is making it look very undesirable.

Now the iPhone, VERY innovative product with some very useful apps and excellent sound quality for MP3 playback. Sure it's costly, but until the Nexus One, there really wasn't anything that could compete with it. 2010 will be a very good year with a multitude of new Android handsets lined up, but they'll all cost around as much as an iPhone anyway.

As for the iPad.. it was never really meant for state of the art technological usage. It's just nice hybrid product to browse facebook with, listen to some music, watch a movie, or run some apps to kill time. Lack of flash support definitely sucks, but with HTML5 right around the corner, the iPad is looking to be a super portable multimedia all-in-one that will pave the way for the 2nd gen iPads and equally powerful Android powered Tablets (the one I will most likely buy).

Last edited:
You get A LOT of value out of a Macbook Pro. It's thin and sleek, has amazing build quality that's virtually unmatched in it's price range, it's reasonably powerful, and utilizes a very innovative OS. Lugging around a 17 inch 13 lb brick around "just because it can run Crysis" isn't my idea of value. HP tried to release a Macbook clone (HP Envy) that looked great on paper, but the shoddy build quality and ridiculous price (quite a bit above the macbook pro) is making it look very undesirable.

Now the iPhone, VERY innovative product with some very useful apps and excellent sound quality for MP3 playback. Sure it's costly, but until the Nexus One, there really wasn't anything that could compete with it. 2010 will be a very good year with a multitude of new Android handsets lined up, but they'll all cost around as much as an iPhone anyway.

As for the iPad.. it was never really meant for state of the art technological usage. It's just nice hybrid product to browse facebook with, listen to some music, watch a movie, or run some apps to kill time. Lack of flash support definitely sucks, but with HTML5 right around the corner, the iPad is looking to be a super portable multimedia all-in-one that will pave the way for the 2nd gen iPad (the one I will most likely buy).

You're right, the iPad isn't meant for state of the art technological usage. It's more for convenience, and for some people it's worth it. As far as other Apple products, let's not forget that any decent, to major recording studio uses Macs, simply because PC crashes during recording sessions are annoying. Macs do crash too, but not as frequent. I know this because I used to run my recording studio on a PC then later switched to Mac. And by recording studio I don't mean a microphone and computer in my bedroom like all these so called producers out there, I'm talking about $20+K invested (that's on a small scale compared to other nicer studios). If I ran my studio on a PC, I wouldn't have had half the customers that I had. I wonder how many people here criticize a product before owning it.

I got the iPad two days ago and am still evaluating it. So far so good. I did have an issue with the wifi once already. I had to reset the device for it to connect again. There should be a fix soon. I had a similar problem with one of my Macbook Pros back then, but an update was released within a week and it was fix. If I ever have any issues with my Macs, I just take it to one place, or call just one company. That's what I like about Apple products. They take care of any OS and hardware issues. My friends that own PC laptops always complain about how Microsoft tech support refers them to the laptop manufacturer (HP, Sony, Toshiba...etc) and the manufacturer tries to refer them back to Microsoft. LOL! Where's the value in that? You get what you pay for. :-/

As for the iPad.. it was never really meant for state of the art technological usage. It's just nice hybrid product to browse facebook with, listen to some music, watch a movie, or run some apps to kill time. Lack of flash support definitely sucks, but with HTML5 right around the corner, the iPad is looking to be a super portable multimedia all-in-one that will pave the way for the 2nd gen iPads and equally powerful Android powered Tablets (the one I will most likely buy).
I don't think you got some things right in your statement.

HP build quality has improved significantly in the past 3, 4 years. There have been problems in the past, but they quickly turned it around. The Envy is ridiculously priced, but its base has better specs than the MBP.

HTML5 is not good enough right now to replace Flash. It won't be as good as Flash when it comes out.
You're right, the iPad isn't meant for state of the art technological usage. It's more for convenience, and for some people it's worth it. As far as other Apple products, let's not forget that any decent, to major recording studio uses Macs, simply because PC crashes during recording sessions are annoying. Macs do crash too, but not as frequent. I know this because I used to run my recording studio on a PC then later switched to Mac. And by recording studio I don't mean a microphone and computer in my bedroom like all these so called producers out there, I'm talking about $20+K invested (that's on a small scale compared to other nicer studios). If I ran my studio on a PC, I wouldn't have had half the customers that I had. I wonder how many people here criticize a product before owning it.

I got the iPad two days ago and am still evaluating it. So far so good. I did have an issue with the wifi once already. I had to reset the device for it to connect again. There should be a fix soon. I had a similar problem with one of my Macbook Pros back then, but an update was released within a week and it was fix. If I ever have any issues with my Macs, I just take it to one place, or call just one company. That's what I like about Apple products. They take care of any OS and hardware issues. My friends that own PC laptops always complain about how Microsoft tech support refers them to the laptop manufacturer (HP, Sony, Toshiba...etc) and the manufacturer tries to refer them back to Microsoft. LOL! Where's the value in that? You get what you pay for. :-/

Microsoft is the software handler, not the hardware fixer. If there's compatibility issues, it's because most of the time, hardware's not good enough.

I don't think you got some things right in your statement.

HP build quality has improved significantly in the past 3, 4 years. There have been problems in the past, but they quickly turned it around. The Envy is ridiculously priced, but its base has better specs than the MBP.

HTML5 is not good enough right now to replace Flash. It won't be as good as Flash when it comes out.

Microsoft is the software handler, not the hardware fixer. If there's compatibility issues, it's because most of the time, hardware's not good enough.

That's why I go with a company that takes full ownership of all problems relating to their products. Many people switch from PC to Mac, but I still have not come across a single person that switch from Mac to PC...maybe those people exist, but I haven't met one. It's no accident that Apple has more brand equity and recognition than their competitors. Yea, it may be their strategic marketing, but I'm pretty sure the quality of their products has something to do with it too.

That's why I go with a company that takes full ownership of all problems relating to their products. Many people switch from PC to Mac, but I still have not come across a single person that switch from Mac to PC...maybe those people exist, but I haven't met one. It's no accident that Apple has more brand equity and recognition than their competitors. Yea, it may be their strategic marketing, but I'm pretty sure the quality of their products has something to do with it too.
One word: iPod

(This was the reason Apple got back in the game.)

LOL! Another word: Windows

(The reason why Microsoft continues to lose marketshare)
My last statement was rather neutral, actually, don't you think?

Windows may have its faults (i.e. the biggest package of faults being Vista, and we all admit to it that it's far from perfect as an OS), but 7 OS has turned it around.

I have no probs with the Mac OS. I like that UNIX can be taken to the extreme like that. I just have gripes of buying a Mac with specs that are years behind PCs and cost twice the price of a PC. It's not about quality, and I know Apple has tried its best to make quality products. The exorbitant prices for old specs is the ridiculous thing about Macs. Not all of us, especially college students, are made of money.

My last statement was rather neutral, actually, don't you think?

Windows may have its faults (i.e. the biggest package of faults being Vista, and we all admit to it that it's far from perfect as an OS), but 7 OS has turned it around.

I have no probs with the Mac OS. I like that UNIX can be taken to the extreme like that. I just have gripes of buying a Mac with specs that are years behind PCs and cost twice the price of a PC. It's not about quality, and I know Apple has tried its best to make quality products. The exorbitant prices for old specs is the ridiculous thing about Macs. Not all of us, especially college students, are made of money.

You're right...Vista was terrible...and Windows 7 is quite an improvement. I actually have it installed on my Mac too, incase I ever need Windows for anything that's not available on Mac OS. But i'm still not giving up my Mac. Lol! Besides Microsft had a special for students...$29.99 for the full retail version of Windows 7 professional.