Buy Board Review books now or later @ DMU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanpj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a first year at Des Moines should I buy some board review books to supplement my notes and text now or later? Also what texts are essential? I already have Netter and a few Bio-chem items, a histo, a physiology, and a Molecular Cell, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa there, little buddy! Settle down, take a deep breath and RELAX! I know you're excited, and you should be VERY excited, but there is plenty of time for book buying. I'd recommend you go to the first few lectures of each class before buying any books. Every required book is on reserve in the library. My personal strategy was to not buy a book unless I'd needed to use it a couple times in the library. I'd also wait on the board review books until you get into courses and see what type of review book works for you - again, use them in the library before buying. Best piece of advice I can give you is to ask the bookstore ladies. They (Tina, Kim and Vicki) are VERY helpful and will be very honest - if you don't need a book they'll try to talk you out of it! Sometimes I just go in there and tell them what type of trouble I'm having and they'll recommend a book. They are great. They run a used book shelf that can save you a bunch of dough. OK, finally, if you FORCED me to recommend books, these were my personal favorites, but you certainly don't need to run out and buy them (in fact I'd recommend you WAIT, if you didn't already pick up on that piece of strong advice)... but here you go:
Netter Atlas (gotta have it)
Sadler embryology (embryo is self-study part of anatomy this year, so get this off the used shelf early if you find it)
Wheater Atlas of Histo
Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple (good for course and board review)
Kingsley Neurophys book
You don't need a biochem book - the course packet is a nice little text in itself
Pharmacology Recall (good for course and board review)
NMS Medicine Review book (great for year 2)
Dubin's EKG book (for year 2)
Fluids and Electrolytes Made Incredibly Easy (this one helped me a lot in year 2 and is written for first graders so it's a breeze to read).
Have fun. Hope this helps. Please remember to WAIT before buying.
smile.gif