Buy Kaplan and Destroyer now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the DAT in 09, but wanted to start browsing, making notecards, and reading over things ive already gone over in school to keep my mind fresh. So I thought about buying destroyer and Kaplan now, but I was wondering if it will be a waste of money. They're always coming out with new additions and things always seem to change a little. Do you guys recommend buying it now to study or waiting till next year to buy those books?

Members don't see this ad.

You wanna start preparing for a test your gonna take in two years! thats a long ways away. I would stick with focusing on your undergrad classes, getting good grades, and learning the concepts in your prereq classes (gen chem, ochem, bio) so you don't have to study as much when its time. I think its way too soon to start thinking about the DAT.

It's jsut that i have some free time. I had two weeks off after summer school and I'll have four weeks off for winter. When I've got nothing to do, I'd rather read a book than watch tv sometimes. Either that or im on sdn. So during those times, I really wanted to study.

You'd be better off taking upper level division science classes. Those classes will give you an edge competitively, and you'll be learning a lot in them which will translate into more knowlege for the DAT. It sounds to me that for the DAT these days, it's best to be able to understand and apply concepts over just rote memorization. Buying supplemental study material now is overkill. You'll psych yourself out if you start stressing about an exam that is two years away.