Technology Buy new laptop or stay with old one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mano82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advise abt my laptop as i don't know what to do:(
I have dell inspiron 1100 which is arround 3 years old.....i'm admitted to dental school and they have certain requirements and also they advise to buy new laptop if it is 3 or more years old.So i'm now confused to buy new one or keep the old one,as my current laptop is going fine and it has all the requirements as school mentioned except they require 40 GB hard disk drive and i have only 34Gb.
Please help me to wht to do?buy new one or keep tht old one and is their any way to increase hard disk cpacity?...In your experience in dental school wht do u suggest?are old laptops create problems:oops:

I really need your inputs regarding this issue,thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have dell inspiron 1100 which is arround 3 years old.....i'm admitted to dental school and they have certain requirements and also they advise to buy new laptop if it is 3 or more years old.

So, there ya' go...buy a new one.

they require 40 GB hard disk drive and i have only 34Gb...is their any way to increase hard disk cpacity?

Yes...buy a new one. ;)

The Inspiron 1100 was pretty much an entry-level machine when it was new. It's probably time for a new one.

Thanks KentW...so what do u suggest?... i like a laptop which is lighter in weight and not much expensive too ? and what kind of laptop most students use in dental school? my school recommend dell,ibm,apple .....but i'm clueless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks KentW...so what do u suggest?... i like a laptop which is lighter in weight and not much expensive too ? and what kind of laptop most students use in dental school? my school recommend dell,ibm,apple .....but i'm clueless.

Buy a Mac.

Are you talking abt MacBook from Apple or some other?....it is expensive as starting from 1099$...plz tell me abt this in detail....is Mac is only from apple or from dell also?Thanks:oops:

I need advise abt my laptop as i don't know what to do:(
I have dell inspiron 1100 which is arround 3 years old.....i'm admitted to dental school and they have certain requirements and also they advise to buy new laptop if it is 3 or more years old.So i'm now confused to buy new one or keep the old one,as my current laptop is going fine and it has all the requirements as school mentioned except they require 40 GB hard disk drive and i have only 34Gb.
Please help me to wht to do?buy new one or keep tht old one and is their any way to increase hard disk cpacity?...In your experience in dental school wht do u suggest?are old laptops create problems:oops:

I really need your inputs regarding this issue,thanks.

Wow, a 34 GB harddrive? You definitely need a new computer. If you're looking to save money I wouldn't go for a Mac, though

HP has good computers at good prices

For a comparison of the web page that Kent quoted, (I'm assuming you want a laptop) the cheapest computer is $999 (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FB062LL/B)

If you go and customize a computer at HP, you can put together a brand-new and more powerful computer for about the same amount of money:

The quoted Mac has for $999:
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB RAM
120 GB Harddrive
Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor

What I put into the HP6700t for a price of $1093.99:
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3 GB RAM
250 GB
256 MB GeForce Graphics Card

So you can spend $999 for a refurbished computer or $1093 for a brand new, much more powerful computer thats probably not going to become obsolete as quickly

Just my $0.02 though

I know i will sound dumb bt can u explain this ....Processor for windows ...as my school want us to have minimum 2.0Ghz of it.Whn i look into specs thn mostly it is not written in tht way..may be it is written in someother term bt i don't know wht it is?......:oops: thanks for guiding

they require 40 GB hard disk drive and i have only 34Gb

Wow, that's a pretty small HDD size. If you're on a budget (and everything else is pretty much OK with your current laptop), just replace the hard drive. It's pretty easy/straight-forward. Give us the model number so we can help you with removing the old one and installing the new one.

If you are not on a budget and your old laptop's acting up and you need a new one, give us a price range and we'll help you pick one out.

Wow, that's a pretty small HDD size. If you're on a budget (and everything else is pretty much OK with your current laptop), just replace the hard drive. It's pretty easy/straight-forward. Give us the model number so we can help you with removing the old one and installing the new one.

If you are not on a budget and your old laptop's acting up and you need a new one, give us a price range and we'll help you pick one out.

Though my current dell inspiron 1100 is going fine but i don't want any kind of trouble with these in the dental school....but it would be great if u tell me the way to increase the HDD size.

Actually my dad is paying for it but i don't want to go beyond 600-700$(anything less would be great :D). I just need a laptop which is portable and not fancy.I need this for work tht is required by dental school...and not for games or other.

Minimum requirements by school are

Windows XP or vista
Processor for windows 2.0GHz minimum
Memory 512MB of system RAM
DVd-ROM (DVD writable drive preffered)
HDD 40GB
Screen resolution 1024+768
connectivity Ethernet and wireless connectivity required-built in or on a PC card or USB drive
3 year warranty

Actually except HDD term i don't know wht all these mean ...so i'm totally looking forward to your suggestions.THanks

If you want to replace your HDD, pick a bigger capacity here and then follow the instructions here.

If you want to look at some cheap laptops, check these out (just ignore all the EeePCs). Before you buy one, post the one that you like and we'll help with recommendations like RAM upgrade (which are only 30 bucks for a 2GB) and the like.

If you get a Mac, you'll have to get new software for all your applications. You'll also pay a few hundred $ more for a Mac.

You'll be expected to know how to use a windows PC on the wards/clinics since the vast majority of hospital systems run XP. It always helps if you can help solve some tech problems - makes you look like a star student!

Why can't you just update the RAM and HDD in your current machine? You will save a bundle. What are the current specs of your machine?

You can update the HDD and RAM, but the speed won't compare to machines that have dual cores. Multi-tasking is so much faster and smoother on newer machines.

I'm sure this machine will be sufficient for the user's needs at a much lower price. I can't imagine any high-end gaming being a desire for this student. You could probably get at least 2 more years out of this machine and as long as the RAM and HDD space is enough then there shouldn't be any slowdowns. It may be worth it to reinstall your OS on it to streamline things then reinstall necessary applications as necessary.

If you get a Mac, you'll have to get new software for all your applications. You'll also pay a few hundred $ more for a Mac.

You'll be expected to know how to use a windows PC on the wards/clinics since the vast majority of hospital systems run XP. It always helps if you can help solve some tech problems - makes you look like a star student!
Actually if you constantly are known to fix peoples computers then they will constantly come to you to help fix them taking away from your time. I tell people I don't know anything about computers because unless they are a close friend I would rather not bother with people getting me to spend an hour or more fixing their PC. I value my free time. Also on the wards and in the hospitals there is an IT department for a reason and people should get used to the fact that they are there to fix computers and not med students.

Hey does anybody know what schools require for laptops or if we don't have to bring them? I really want a new laptop since mine is like 7yrs old (it might even be more!):laugh:

Hey does anybody know what schools require for laptops or if we don't have to bring them? I really want a new laptop since mine is like 7yrs old (it might even be more!):laugh:

This is very school specific. Some schools will require that you buy the laptop they've chosen. Others will strongly recommend a certain laptop and will not provide technical support if you're on a different machine (which may mean you fail tests or worse). Other schools don't care or it could be of little use for you to have a laptop (though at most schools it would be at least convenient for you to have one).

Basically, I wouldn't recommend going out and spending money on one before you know your future school's policy at the time when your classes start, since they can change from year to year.

This is very school specific. Some schools will require that you buy the laptop they've chosen. Others will strongly recommend a certain laptop and will not provide technical support if you're on a different machine (which may mean you fail tests or worse). Other schools don't care or it could be of little use for you to have a laptop (though at most schools it would be at least convenient for you to have one).

Basically, I wouldn't recommend going out and spending money on one before you know your future school's policy at the time when your classes start, since they can change from year to year.

Thanks! Ya i'll def have to ask them about their policy. I'm sure other students are wondering too lol

Just the fact that you say you have a Dell and it's three years old makes me say "Get a new laptop, ASAP." It's going to spontaneously combust any second.