buy "self-assessments" with UWorld?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spencerxd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on buying Uworld really soon (today or the next few days). I was wondering if I should I buy the self assessments (forms 1 and 2) that Uworld offers?

did anybody use these in the past and find them worth buying? Or should I just stick with the qbank alone and save $30. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of prediction, I've heard that NBME's are better. But I guess, just to take a legit test and get answers (yes, you get all the answers and explanations), UWSA are pretty solid. I took UWSA1, but I doubt I'll be able to get through UWSA2 due to limited time, and I rather finish up 3 NBME's rather than UWSA2 and 2 NBMEs.

As a matter a fact, not to hijack this thread or anything, but can one of the more experienced guys on here shed some light on whether its a better idea to do UWSA/2NBMEs rather than 3 NBMES (i have set out 3 days for assessments). It would be cool to hear some input.

I am planning on buying Uworld really soon (today or the next few days). I was wondering if I should I buy the self assessments (forms 1 and 2) that Uworld offers?

did anybody use these in the past and find them worth buying? Or should I just stick with the qbank alone and save $30. Thanks!

I am a big fan of the UW simulated exams because they exactly simulate the way the exam looks, feels and doesn't allow you to switch windows. Plus, you learn from your exam.

I suggest both forms. One taken early and the 2nd one taken 2 weeks before your step.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a matter a fact, not to hijack this thread or anything, but can one of the more experienced guys on here shed some light on whether its a better idea to do UWSA/2NBMEs rather than 3 NBMES (i have set out 3 days for assessments). It would be cool to hear some input.

I would totally ignore NBME 1-3 and stick with the newer ones. Doing a UW simulated exam is a great way to mix it up...and of course, I found that the simulated exam #2 was very similar to the real thing.

I would totally ignore NBME 1-3 and stick with the newer ones. Doing a UW simulated exam is a great way to mix it up...and of course, I found that the simulated exam #2 was very similar to the real thing.

Thanks for the advice. I'm probably taking NBME 5-7. Take 5 one week into DIT, 6 another week and 7 in the end. I wanted to include USWA 1 but somehow i'm not being able to find the time. We'll see I guess. Nonetheless, thanks for the input.

Thanks for the advice. I'm probably taking NBME 5-7. Take 5 one week into DIT, 6 another week and 7 in the end. I wanted to include USWA 1 but somehow i'm not being able to find the time. We'll see I guess. Nonetheless, thanks for the input.

You certainly do have the time.

You need to get yourself ready to attack 336 questions without fading. That means, take UW1 right after one of the NBME's. You get a full 4 blocks and a taste of what's to come.

You certainly do have the time.

You need to get yourself ready to attack 336 questions without fading. That means, take UW1 right after one of the NBME's. You get a full 4 blocks and a taste of what's to come.

Touche, and damn it haha. I was looking fwd to these three days as being half days, but I guess I can squeeze in UWSA2 (I've already taken UWSA1). Thanks once again.

Last edited:
How's the difficulty level of the UWorld assessments?

I'm two weeks into my studying and still getting my butt kicked by UWorld. I'm learning a lot, but would like to have some accurate measure of where I am right now. I'd rather not do a NBME, as I want feedback on my answers.

Any thoughts?

Couldn't you just do 7 UWorld blocks of 48 in a row and guesstimate how you'd score with the conversion thingy I saw posted somewhere (SUPER helpful, I know)?

By the way, I'm glad you posted this since I'd been planning on taking several NBME's and hadn't considered that I wouldn't be able to review the questions. I can scratch that off my list of things to do, I suppose. :p I'll likely be doing the 7-block thing instead.

Couldn't you just do 7 UWorld blocks of 48 in a row and guesstimate how you'd score with the conversion thingy I saw posted somewhere (SUPER helpful, I know)?

By the way, I'm glad you posted this since I'd been planning on taking several NBME's and hadn't considered that I wouldn't be able to review the questions. I can scratch that off my list of things to do, I suppose. :p I'll likely be doing the 7-block thing instead.

I find that UWorld qbank is much more of a learning tool than a testing indicator. For that reason, I do these questions in tutor mode in small blocks. For the purposes of timing and simulating the exam, I plan on using the 2 UWorld assessments, NBME Exams, and maybe the Kaplan Full lengths. I also have already used the NBME Comprehensive Basic Sciences exam as a simulation in school.

I find that UWorld qbank is much more of a learning tool than a testing indicator.
Why is that, and what would be the difference between taking 7 UWorld question blocks in a row (without review between them) and taking one of the UWorld assessments? Timing won't be an issue for me, for what it's worth. I'm mostly just after something to get me ready for doing 8 hours of questions that'll also give me a decent idea of how well I'm doing.

Why is that, and what would be the difference between taking 7 UWorld question blocks in a row (without review between them) and taking one of the UWorld assessments?

From what I have heard with experiences, UWorld's qbank questions are harder than the real thing.

From USMLE World's site:
Each question requires a three to four level mode of thinking, which is much more difficult than what you would encounter on the actual USMLE exam

I suppose if you are great with timing with these questions, you will be fine for the NBME's.

I think you should do an NBME to get the taste of what kind of questions they ask. Though UWSA is good, it's also harder and more lenient in terms of grading. The style of questions in NBME is usually a 1-2 step thought process versus that in UWSA may be more involved.

If you spend an extra $15 for NBME 6, you get to see which questions you got wrong which is helpful for obvious reasons. It also gives you a helpful printout on how you did in different subjects and it's worthwhile to diagnose yourself. But I suggest taking AT LEAST 1 NBME.

For those of you who have completed one of the UWSA's, I have a question. It says you have a 2-week window period with access to it. After you take the test, get the explanations/score report/etc. is it allowing you to retake that exam again fresh with everything blank again and generating a new score report?

Have you bought Uworld? How much did you paid for it?

For those of you who have completed one of the UWSA's, I have a question. It says you have a 2-week window period with access to it. After you take the test, get the explanations/score report/etc. is it allowing you to retake that exam again fresh with everything blank again and generating a new score report?

I don't think so. The score report is generated and all your answers are processed. I don't see an option to "retake" the exam. It's just open for 2 weeks for review like a normal 48 question block but with a time limit placed.

When I bought UW, I bought it for a month with the two UWSA included in the package. I think this way, instead of paying full price for each UWSA I got them at roughly half off with a one month subscription. Forgot what the final price tag was but it was def a packaged deal.

Could you guys help in interpreting the bars. What does it mean if its to the left, right , shorter, longer, etc?

Thanks in Advance