buyers remorse,bad timing and anxiety, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSox143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New entering MS1 here

I'm worried I'm making a huge mistake...

I was accepted to some medical schools and even my top choice but it's really far from home (3 hours by plane) and I completely underestimated the toll that would take on me. I visited a number of times and I loved it. I chose the school because everyone has helpful, supportive and happy. And they are but I'm afraid it might not be enough to fill the void.

I've lived at home for the past year working and I got used to it, so used to it that I had all of my friends back from home and even a new girlfriend for the first time since high school whom is amazing and a perfect match for me (got serious after these acceptances, right before school starts). I've also finally gotten to a good point with my family where we are very close. and now I have to leave. It really hurts to lose my support system and I'm not sure I can do it. I had to choose the school far away because the closest I got into was 3 hours away driving and much lower tier but now I'm wishing I went there ...

I know it's not that bad and I move back at the end but then I'll be in residency and unlikely to enjoy these relationships that keep me grounded (if theyre even still there)

I'm afraid now of the future, of school, of being a doctor and it's all new to me because I've wanted it for so long and still do but the loss of my support system is rough.

I'm hoping my nerves will cool and I can assimilate into school just fine but does anyone have any constructive advice or suggestions on what to do? get out while I can before I pay? stick it out see if things improve? help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you :( I am moving tomorrow for med school (5 hour plane ride from home), and am terrified. I went to undergrad near home, all my close friends are from childhood, and i am also close with my parents. Not to mention I am leaving one of the best cities in the world.

I didn't have a choice though, it was the only school that accepted me.

You just have cold feet. Week 1 will be quite the adjustment but you will be so busy in no time (studying, meeting new people, learning all sorts of new things) that this feeling will just wash away!

You both worked really hard to get where you are. Think about all of that sacrifice. Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New entering MS1 here

I was accepted to some medical schools and even my top choice but it's really far from home (3 hours by plane) and I completely underestimated the toll that would take on me. I visited a number of times and I loved it. I chose the school because everyone has helpful, supportive and happy. And they are but I'm afraid it might not be enough to fill the void.

I've lived at home for the past year working and I got used to it, so used to it that I had all of my friends back from home and even a new girlfriend for the first time since high school whom is amazing and a perfect match for me (got serious after these acceptances, right before school starts). I've also finally gotten to a good point with my family where we are very close. and now I have to leave. It really hurts to lose my support system and I'm not sure I can do it. I had to choose the school far away because the closest I got into was 3 hours away driving and much lower tier but now I'm wishing I went there ...

I know it's not that bad and I move back at the end but then I'll be in residency and unlikely to enjoy these relationships that keep me grounded (if theyre even still there)

I'm afraid now of the future, of school, of being a doctor and it's all new to me because I've wanted it for so long and still do but the loss of my support system is rough.

I'm hoping my nerves will cool and I can assimilate into school just fine but does anyone have any constructive advice or suggestions on what to do? get out while I can before I pay? stick it out see if things improve? help.
You have a new girlfriend and you don't want to leave her. It's ok. She will be far more attracted to you if you leave and pursue a career goal than stay at home working at Target.

Reactions: 20 users
I'm in the same boat as you :( I am moving tomorrow for med school (5 hour plane ride from home), and am terrified. I went to undergrad near home, all my close friends are from childhood, and i am also close with my parents. Not to mention I am leaving one of the best cities in the world.

I didn't have a choice though, it was the only school that accepted me.

This is very very similar to my situation, I'm hoping our nerves will chill out but I probably have a panic attack every couple of hours, I also left one of the best cities in the world. It felt like as soon as i finally had stability and got my life together in my home city I have to leave and have it all turned upsidedown again. I just want stability.

You have a new girlfriend and you don't want to leave her. It's ok. She will be far more attracted to you if you leave and pursue a career goal than stay at home working at Target.

Youre right and she is moving to where I am in a year, that's why i started dating her but we both expressed intrest in staying our home city too, preffereably. This is true but I could go back to my city and get a PA very easily or something else of a lesser medical degree at home, which would kill me but this doesnt feel too good rn either.

Having cold feet is normal. You'll be fine. You will settle in, make new friends, get into a routine. You will also be busy enough that you won't have time to worry about. If your relationship with your new girlfriend does not make it through the year apart, then it probably was not meant to be.

Now for the tough love part:
You're an adult. Time to move out of your parents' house.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Youre right and she is moving to where I am in a year, that's why i started dating her but we both expressed intrest in staying our home city too, preffereably. This is true but I could go back to my city and get a PA very easily or something else of a lesser medical degree at home, which would kill me but this doesnt feel too good rn either.
Grow up man, uve been dating her for a few weeks and your talking about changing your entire lifes career plans just to not move away from her? do you realize that kind of neediness and general stupidity is extremely unattractive to women in the long-run?
Sure she may want you to stay now while her emotions for you are running wild but once that fades she will think youre an idiot and will be much less likely to stay with you.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 17 users
Grow up man, uve been dating her for a few weeks and your talking about changing your entire lifes career plans just to not move away from her? do you realize that kind of neediness and general stupidity is extremely unattractive to women in the long-run?
Sure she may want you to stay now while her emotions for you are running wild but once that fades she will think youre an idiot and will be much less likely to stay with you.

This.

Man up and go to med school. She fell for a guy with his eye on the prize, so why not be that guy?

(Note: I'm assuming a heterosexual relationship for literally no reason.)

Reactions: 7 users
You'll be fine OP! You're probably missing your girlfriend and feeling sad about leaving your family. It'll pass and you'll be so busy you won't really have time to get homesick and before you know it you'll be back for Thanksgiving/Christmas etc.

d94.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
You'll be fine! I did the same thing for UG knowing absolutely no one. The first couple of months can be rough. It gets better. I eventually liked it more than home after about 6 months when I settled in with a new group of friends. You'll be so busy you'll forget completely about home.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very very similar to my situation, I'm hoping our nerves will chill out but I probably have a panic attack every couple of hours, I also left one of the best cities in the world. It felt like as soon as i finally had stability and got my life together in my home city I have to leave and have it all turned upsidedown again. I just want stability.

Aside from leaving my support system, I am really nervous about the change in environment. I grew up in LA on the beach and am moving to somewhere that gets really cold/has no ocean. I have a really active lifestyle right now (surfer, swimmer) and am worried about this adjustment.

How badly do you want to be a doctor? Medical school doesn't last forever, and I doubt your family is going anywhere. You really want to stay at home living with your parents?

It's not as if you're leaving for a stupid reason, you're studying to become a doctor for goodness sakes! Right now it certainly feels weird, because you are leaving behind everything that you've known for years, but after a few months you will grow to appreciate the move and future you are building for yourself. Not to mention the pride that your support system back home feels for their child's incredible accomplishments!

Aside from leaving my support system, I am really nervous about the change in environment. I grew up in LA on the beach and am moving to somewhere that gets really cold/has no ocean. I have a really active lifestyle right now (surfer, swimmer) and am worried about this adjustment.

I know this is hard to believe as a Cali resident, but there are other environments than the SoCal one that one can be active in. You just have to have an open mind.

Reactions: 4 users

growing in CT i will agree that Boston is one of the best cities in the world, especially Fall season.
but it's time to grow up and explore.
you'll regret it if you don't

It's a marathon, bro. A marathon with sacrifices to be made each mile by both you and your friends and family. If she flakes on Miles 1-3, that's a blessing in disguise; saves you weeks, months, maybe even years. Best case scenario, she's a keeper and is willing to endure the sacrifices associated with the incomparable and rewarding career you've chosen. Worst case scenario, you learn early on that she didn't have what it takes to be the partner of somebody in your shoes (because let's be honest...it's demanding choosing to be with medical students/residents/physicians)

Reactions: 1 users
OP, your first few weeks/months of med school you're going to be so busy you won't have time to hang out with your friends or family, you'll likely be freaking out about staying afloat and passing your classes until you get settled in. Even after that, you'll end up hanging out with med school people more than anyone else because your friends and family just won't understand what you're going through unless they've also done it. You'll still be able to call and facetime with your family and GF until she moves out there, and to be honest a lot of times that's all you'll have time for.

Plus, if things don't work out with your GF you'll regret not leaving for med school much more than if you leave for med school. Worst case scenario is you stay home, lose your career as a physician and your GF. Worst case scenario of going to med school is you lose your GF, which would suck, but not be the end of the world since you'll still be pursuing your career of choice.

I just want stability.

Well then you're certainly entering the wrong profession. Unfortunately moving multiple times is usually part of this process. You don't have as much control over where you go. Same thing may happen with residency +/- fellowship depending on what you decide to pursue. One day you open an envelope and you have to move.... no questions asked.

That being said, having moved multiple times for this pursuit I can tell you that it typically works out better than you expect.

I know exactly how you feel. I've always been very close to my family and even more so in the last 3-4 years after one of my parents suddenly passed away when I was in college. Life has been really tough and sad the last few years.

I was home this past year during my gap year as well and liked it a lot too. I worked a decent tutoring job that allowed me to save some money and cover all of my interview and application expenses, I spent good time with my family and I hung out a lot with my close college and high school friends. I'm now going to move to med school 2,000 miles away and I'm feeling some of the same things you're feeling. I would have loved to attend school in-state to be close to my family and my friends but it didn't work out. It is what it is.

Still, though, even in the lowest moments after I lost one of my parents I had a great time in college with my roommates and some of my other close friends and honestly, I didn't feel like I missed home too much. I always looked forward to coming back for breaks but I felt equally happy going back to school as well. Once I got absorbed with my classes, ECs and spending time with friends I felt completely fine and was still able to talk to my mom every day without feeling a crippling desire to always come back home.

I'm sure it's going to be the same in medical school. In fact, we'll be so busy with studying that we probably won't even have time to think much about family and friends and other things. Tack on ECs and spending time with new friends at school and it becomes even busier. I think we'll be fine - it's all part of the process of growing up. And I think it makes the trips back home something to look forward to and cherish even more since they're fewer and farther apart now. Hang in there!

All new Endeavors are fraught with anxiety.

You worked very very hard to get to where you are today. Look forward , keep your eyes on the prize and do not look back!!!

New entering MS1 here

Yes our hearts are all breaking for you because your surfing time will decrease in med school.

Reactions: 9 users
OP, I moved 50 miles and felt similarly- and I even went over 1,000miles away for undergrad. It's normal to fear the unknown and breaking your normal routine. After a couple weeks, you'll be used to it though. You'll meet new people and create a support system at your school.

I would also, personally, not recommend basing your career around a girl unless you're at the point where you are ready to marry her. If you break up in a couple months, would you be happy if you chose not to go to med school? If you go PA, would you begin to resent her?

Reactions: 1 user
If you can see yourself being happy as a PA, I would strongly encourage you to stop now, and head home. Med school can wait. See if you can defer for a year so the spot is still available if you change your mind. You found someone you really care about. You aren't dead-set on starting now. It's not going to get any easier. In fact it will get much harder, and you'll be in debt, and you won't be able to start and stop. Please consider my advice before it's too late. I hate seeing all the advice to get over it and that you'll like it soon. Defer for a year, enjoy your life, med school will still be there if it's really what you want to do.

You live a few years somewhere and it becomes home. You may not ever love it but all the anxiety fades very quickly.

Picking up stakes and going somewhere new may be a recurring feature of your life from now on. It certainly takes a toll but not many people quit because of homesickness.

If you can see yourself being happy as a PA, I would strongly encourage you to stop now, and head home. Med school can wait. See if you can defer for a year so the spot is still available if you change your mind. You found someone you really care about. You aren't dead-set on starting now. It's not going to get any easier. In fact it will get much harder, and you'll be in debt, and you won't be able to start and stop. Please consider my advice before it's too late. I hate seeing all the advice to get over it and that you'll like it soon. Defer for a year, enjoy your life, med school will still be there if it's really what you want to do.

I don't think most med schools are going to be receptive to a letter that states "yo I just started hooking up with this girl and I've got a fairly dope setup in my parents' basement right now, gonna need to defer for a year. thanks."

Reactions: 15 users
OP I feel exactly the same.

I had to choose between a less desirable school that is 3 hrs driving distance from home and a better school that is 3 hrs plane ride from home. I chose the latter and will be leaving home in 3 days.

I will be leaving behind my family, close friends and a girl friend of 3 years. The girl is willing maintain a long distance relationship(for at least 3 years). She and I are both scared about the separation.

Its good to know that I'm not the only one feeling some form of remorse over the choices that we've made.

OP I feel exactly the same.

I had to choose between a less desirable school that is 3 hrs driving distance from home and a better school that is 3 hrs plane ride from home. I chose the latter and will be leaving home in 3 days.

I will be leaving behind my family, close friends and a girl friend of 3 years. The girl is willing maintain a long distance relationship(for at least 3 years). She and I are both scared about the separation.

Its good to know that I'm not the only one feeling some form of remorse over the choices that we've made.

To you and the OP:

Try not to feel remorseful! You have done nothing wrong and you have nothing to be ashamed of, especially since you are choosing a profession that puts others before self. As everyone has pointed out, you guys are becoming physicians. You are not abandoning your family or significant others to do something greedy or selfish.

This is just the beginning of the journey. Most of society holds physicians in the highest esteem. Family and friends will continue to love you regardless of geographic location. As ProfMD has pointed out, you most likely won't have time to worry as you will have a pretty full schedule.

Be willing to adapt and overcome. You are members of a select few.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited by a moderator:

He said he would hate it if he settled for PA.

You found someone you really care about.

Lol

I feel for you, I really do. I was in a very similar situation when I entered medical school. I felt like I had no choice that would make me happy. I could either forget about medical school which would be crazy or I could stick it out and feel completely lost/depressed. I too had never left home and this was my first time being 13+ hours away from home. I had the opportunity to go to medical school at home, but felt this other school was better overall. I felt so sad everyday for the first couple of months and even went to see the school therapist. Nothing could fill the void. I was really close to my family and friends and just felt depressed all the time. Plus, I hated GAR so much which made things even more stressful. I still miss home, but I don't think that'll ever change. If I can get through it, you definitely can. Just know that it does eventually get better. You learn to cope with your new surroundings and you just adjust. If you feel like you're getting depressed, I would strongly advise seeking some help. There's no shame in asking for it when you need it. I hope you are able to find some peace and success in this upcoming journey.

My closest friend at school moved out here from the opposite coast. He knew no one here except an uncle I think. Start was rough for him...it was a difficult change for all of us in different ways. However, it's been 3 years and he's doing really well and he is glad that he came out here. He feels at home.

Whatever happens, if you truly loved the school, and you have some good people around you, I think it will work out. The key is to have a support system there, which unfortunately can take time to build. I was only a couple of hours drive from my family, but I didn't know anyone at my new program and felt ridiculously lonely for a huge chunk of the first year. But it's gotten much better over time, and old friends have even moved to where I am. It took a while, but I finally feel at home.

In time you'll hopefully be able to form some strong bonds while you're there, and if you do that, I think you'll be okay too. This also means there will be new stories, experiences, and adventures ahead for you. It sounds silly, but try to imagine Luke leaving his moisture farm in Star Wars, or Frodo leaving the Shire in LOTR, some of the best adventures come from getting out of one's comfort zone. I realize it's not so simple, and like you, I had a very difficult time leaving my friends and family. However, considering all the things I've seen and experienced both in and out of school, I don't regret my past choices.
And once your girlfriend joins you, you can help her adjust too, since you'll be comfortable with the surroundings by then. Wishing you the best!

Also, I'd call home or call friends several times a week, I still do. That helps me a lot. :) keep in touch with your family and freinds, call them, Skype, vent to them. They may be far, but they can still support you through tough times.

Last edited:
Don't base huge life decisions on a relationship. If you stay for her you will eventually regret the fact that you gave up a huge opportunity to be with her. And then you will resent her, lose her, and finally have neither a girl nor a med school degree. You will be unhappy I guarantee it.

I'm in a nearly identical situation across the board as you. The difference is that I'm actually excited to make the biggest move of my life in a couple weeks. It did take me a bit of reflection to ease my anxiety though.

I may only be entering medical school, but I believe it's important to routinely put things into the proper perspective. From my own observation, it seems like med students at times lose sight of what it means to go down this road. Can you make a lot of money? Sure. (I'm sorry but even $100k is a lot of money. Especially to those of us who come from having very little.) Can it feel like you're hollowly trying to chase career checkpoints as you climb the ladder of success? Sure. But it's up to you to remind yourself of the purpose behind it all. You're going to have one of the most rewarding educations and careers in the world. No matter how jaded you may one day become (dealing with administration, negative outcomes, frustrating patients/co-workers/wife giving you problems), you're going to positively impact people and alleviate their pain and suffering during every shift you work. As comfortable as you may feel right now, you can't let your anxiety or your cold feet affect your judgment. You worked very hard to get to this point. You got a nice break to collect your sanity. It's time to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty again. And as others have stated, you should look at this as a blessing. This is the best way to assure your girlfriend is willing to stick with you through thick and thin. It'll be harder for her anyhow. With how busy you're about to be, it'll feel like a time warp to holidays and vacations when you do see her and your family.

We also have the gift of video chat. Don't forget that.

I'm in a nearly identical situation across the board as you. The difference is that I'm actually excited to make the biggest move of my life in a couple weeks. It did take me a bit of reflection to ease my anxiety though.

I may only be entering medical school, but I believe it's important to routinely put things into the proper perspective. From my own observation, it seems like med students at times lose sight of what it means to go down this road. Can you make a lot of money? Sure. (I'm sorry but even $100k is a lot of money. Especially to those of us who come from having very little.) Can it feel like you're hollowly trying to chase career checkpoints as you climb the ladder of success? Sure. But it's up to you to remind yourself of the purpose behind it all. You're going to have one of the most rewarding educations and careers in the world. No matter how jaded you may one day become (dealing with administration, negative outcomes, frustrating patients/co-workers/wife giving you problems), you're going to positively impact people and alleviate their pain and suffering during every shift you work. As comfortable as you may feel right now, you can't let your anxiety or your cold feet affect your judgment. You worked very hard to get to this point. You got a nice break to collect your sanity. It's time to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty again. And as others have stated, you should look at this as a blessing. This is the best way to assure your girlfriend is willing to stick with you through thick and thin. It'll be harder for her anyhow. With how busy you're about to be, it'll feel like a time warp to holidays and vacations when you do see her and your family.

We also have the gift of video chat. Don't forget that.
Good luck in med school bro :welcome:

This.

Man up and go to med school. She fell for a guy with his eye on the prize, so why not be that guy?

(Note: I'm assuming a heterosexual relationship for literally no reason.)

You assumed a heterosexual relationship because it is much more common than other kinds of relationships. That's the reason...

Reactions: 6 users
You assumed a heterosexual relationship because it is much more common than other kinds of relationships. That's the reason...
I assumed a heterosexual relationship because OP's profile pic is the male symbol and he was talking about his girlfriend

I can speak on adjusting to a new place OP - FYI this post gets a little heavy so skip if you don't feel up for it.

From someone who has moved around a lot - here is an important lesson to learn in life. Your life will take you where others won't or can't follow sometimes. This should remind you, at certain points, that this is your adventure and yours alone to make what you want out of it. Want to go be a PA? Be my guest. You'd be a fool to pass up on this adventure you are about to have. I won't say that you are any lesser of a person/man/whatever if you go that route, however you need to decide if you are going to live your life for you or for other people. When you pass away, you will ultimately face death yourself. Who do you want to be up to that point? These choices are yours to make, and these choices you make are what your life is.

The fear of losing who you are with, your friends/family and support system is real. However, you can build all that in any new place (if you want to). Don't let the anxiety of the unknown ruin the fun times, experiences, and relationships you can make where you have moved to. Life is too precious to just throw yourself into the wind out of fear.

Are you able to defer for a year? If so, I'd recommend that path. If you go in with this mindset, you're going to make what's already going to be a difficult time much harder. The start of med school is a hard time under the most ideal circumstances. Most people (myself included) were not prepared for the magnitude of work that was expected and the amount of ridiculous minutia that some professors test. I moved to a new state (that I didn't like), moved away from a gf, left all my friends and a high paying job. It really comes down to had badly do you want it. Everyone is going to be supportive no matter what. I do recommend going to med school with a clear focus though. You worked hard to get to this point and you're going to need to work tons harder from here on out. Pain/anxiety/depression with the start of a new endeavor is temporary, but you'll be a doctor till you die (returns to my earlier point, assuming you want to become one... but given that you go to this point you have some desire).

New entering MS1 here

New entering MS1 here

Just curious to hear more about this...

To update: Once I got my living situation set up and had some classes I'm much more settled in, my anxiety has shifted from worrying about what I'm "losing" to my classes. I'm right now very overwhelmed with class but that seems to be the norm among us all. I think everything is moving in the right direction. I really just dont want to have to let go of everything and everyone at home to adjust to this new place and sometimes it seems one or the other but I know it's not. Overall I feel much much more confident that I'm in the right place and this is for me but I'm still anxious. Thanks for the kind words and hoping it gets even better from here...

Reactions: 4 users
got serious after these acceptances, right before school starts

:smack:

I had to choose the school far away because the closest I got into was 3 hours away driving and much lower tier but now I'm wishing I went there

I mean... 3 hours driving is far enough away that you wouldn't even be going back very much anyway. I think you made the right choice dude.

Dont really have much advice but Im praying for you! Im sure you'll be fine whatever you decide to do :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Take a deep breath. I'm in a similar boat. People will surprise you. I'm sitting at a 10 hour drive and 350.00+ plane ticket. It sucks, but the alternative is waiting and reapplying next year...that's not worth it.