buying a house affect student loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfonso

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
I will probably be going to NYU and instead of paying the outrageous rents I was considering buying a house or condo in Queens or New Jersey. Anyone know if this will affect my ability to qualify for student loans? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, it will not affect your student loan process. Your FAFSA will be filled out before you buy, probably. That is what I'm planning on doing prior to med school in August. My husband and I will both be in school. I talked to a lender and he gave me some numbers based on what the school allots for a rent payment (x2 because of both of us) and we're planning on buying a condo. Check out this site - they have been VERY helpful and are extremely knowledgeable about the process with school, residency, etc. You must have established credit, though, which I'm assuming you do. Here's the site:

<a href="http://www.physicianloans.com" target="_blank">www.physicianloans.com</a>