buying a house/apartment/condo/property

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

witness23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So all of you doing/going into MD/PhD are about to spend at least the next 6 years in the same location (unless you do that NIH crap). I've always wondered whether or not anyone ever bought property over renting. It seems like a good idea, especially with the current market trying to stimulate first time buyers (and also many rent > mortgage after 5-6 years). I would guess that this is highly dependent on the location (not really possible in NYC, or SF) abut for many it could turn out to be a good investment when you rent a room or two out.

Thoughts? Experiences? MD/PhDs would have no medical school debt and if you managed to avoid an undergraduate debt, you could walk out with a decent amount of cash in your pocket after 10 years or so.

Members don't see this ad.

So all of you doing/going into MD/PhD are about to spend at least the next 6 years in the same location (unless you do that NIH crap). I've always wondered whether or not anyone ever bought property over renting. It seems like a good idea, especially with the current market trying to stimulate first time buyers (and also many rent > mortgage after 5-6 years). I would guess that this is highly dependent on the location (not really possible in NYC, or SF) abut for many it could turn out to be a good investment when you rent a room or two out.

Thoughts? Experiences? MD/PhDs would have no medical school debt and if you managed to avoid an undergraduate debt, you could walk out with a decent amount of cash in your pocket after 10 years or so.

Yes this is common at many programs.

It seems like a good idea, especially with the current market trying to stimulate first time buyers (and also many rent > mortgage after 5-6 years).

If you say so. The rental market is great right now. The market is flooded with houses and condos that won't sell. Right now if you buy you're risking that your future property won't sell or you'll lose money on it. But, that's up to you to say if you think your investment, maintainance, fees (both buying and selling), and taxes will yield you anything in the long run.

I would guess that this is highly dependent on the location (not really possible in NYC, or SF) abut for many it could turn out to be a good investment when you rent a room or two out.

It seems more highly dependent on whether you have parent money to back you up. I'm not saying that's every student, but it seems like the vast majority of students at least get a down payment from mom and dad.

you could walk out with a decent amount of cash in your pocket after 10 years or so.

That's what people told me when I started. Then the housing bubble crashed. It could be we're at the bottom of that bubble and things stand to bounce upwards again. I dunno. It probably depends on the market.

Members don't see this ad :)

Property taxes and association fees easily add up to $300-$400/month. Have to consider that.

I say buy a place if you can, it is worth it in the long run. Interest rates on home mortgages are low right now. You can get an $8000 first-time homebuyer tax credit if you buy a home before November. The housing market is down, so property values are the lowest they have been in recent memory. Also, the housing market is expected to rebound eventually (but when this will actually happen is anyone's guess), so if you do buy, your home should appreciate while you live in it assuming you do your part and keep it nice. Lastly, there are many great deals on houses in the current environment due to things like foreclosures, short sales, and people trying to downsize. You might be able to find a house that is priced well under its appraised value. These are all good things.

HOWEVER, buying a house/condo is probably only feasible if:

1) You live in a smaller city/town where property values are lower
AND
2) You have little to no undergraduate debt
AND
3) You are in a fully funded MD/PhD program and get a living stipend
AND
4) You have significant money saved from working prior to MD/PhD
OR
5) You have a spouse that currently works and makes a decent salary
OR
6) You have financial backing from your parents

Buying and maintaining a house is more complicated and expensive than many students realize. First, you have to qualify for a large enough mortgage and cough up enough cash to make a down payment. Whether or not you qualify for a mortgage is based on your current income, and a living stipend from an MD/PhD program won't get you very far in that regard (hence #4,5,6 above). But even if you do manage to get a mortgage and purchase the house, the monthly mortgage payment is only one component. You have to pay closing costs and fees to the title agency. You have to furnish the place. There are also property taxes. Home insurance or condo fees. Utilities. Maintenance costs, for things like appliances and general upkeep. This stuff adds up fast and starts coming non-stop the day you move into the house. Your roof could get demolished by a huge storm the day after you move in, and you'd have to fix it ($$$), or your toilet could develop a small leak and water could start seeping into the flooring and basement ($$$), etc. You get the point.

Basically, if you want to buy a place, you better do your homework and carefully consider your income and potential expenses. I would strongly encourage renting rooms of your house or condo to other med/grad students, but this may not be practical if you have a spouse or family. If you find a good deal on a property and rent some rooms to other students, you can live essentially for free while you are in school, and you'll be building equity in your home with each mortgage payment. Once you graduate and move on to the next phase of your training, you can either rent the property or sell it and end up with a nice wad of cash. It definitely beats throwing money away on rent every month for 8 years.