• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi, This may be an odd question, does anyone know, if i'm doing my residency in the US or an H1B visa, am I able to buy a hosue or am I only able to rent? Thanks for any help!

tlew12778

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2002
fashion capital of the world
Visit site
Status
This is a good question bc I have been thinking about this as well. I am American but FH is Italian and when we move to the US, I want to buy a place... only I think he will not qualify for a mortgage bc he has no US credit history. While I could take out the mortgage in my name, we will need his income to qualify for a larger amount.

So... I think we might have to wait a year or 2... enough time for him to get a SSN and a establish a credit history.

I'm not sure about this, but I definitely would like to know the correct answer.

Energon

Nobody Summons Megatron
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
why would you buy a house when a stay in the country is technically on a temporary basis? Rent for now, and when you have solved your visa problems and are holding a green card in your hand buy a house.

About the Ads

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your point is valid. However, I could also put, sure the visa is 'temporary' but temporary is for at least 4-5 years ans why would I want to be paying someone else's mortgage in that time when I could be paying off my own... :)

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2002
Up North
Visit site
Status
tlew12778 said:
This is a good question bc I have been thinking about this as well. I am American but FH is Italian and when we move to the US, I want to buy a place... only I think he will not qualify for a mortgage bc he has no US credit history. While I could take out the mortgage in my name, we will need his income to qualify for a larger amount.

So... I think we might have to wait a year or 2... enough time for him to get a SSN and a establish a credit history.

I'm not sure about this, but I definitely would like to know the correct answer.
This sounds a lot like me and my wife. I've been told by someone who was in the same situation somehting like 6 years ago that it was impossible to get a loan (at first). Then again, I've heard loose reports of IMGs buying houses. If your (future) husband is starting residency this summer, I think there are several of us who'd like to hear how it goes.

To the OP: I'm almost certain there's no law stopping a non-resident from buying a house. I'm saying this because a friend of mine almost bought one but decided to rent instead. I know he looked at several houses and I imagine the realtor would have mentioned somehting about his immigrant status.

About the Ads