Buying a suit on ebay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a suit on ebay before? I see great brand names like Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, and others for under a $100. I'm just wondering if it might be a rip off

Members don't see this ad.

Umm...that stuff is probably REALLY Calfin Klein and Hugo Foss...probably imitations. Those suits are probably made in Mexico and are being shipped out of some guy's closet (**cough**..distribution center) somewhere in Skokie, Illinois.

Def. buy it on EBAY. Everything you read on the internet is totally legit....

Members don't see this ad :)
Just make sure the pinstripes go up an down and not left to right.

Dude, spend a little extra on a suit that you can see and have fitted before you buy. Nothing makes one look like a rube or a guy who has never worn a suit except at "this" interview quite like wearing a cheap, poorly fitted suit.

I especially like the tie in the picture - you think Calvin Klein would straighten the tie on the dummy before taking a picture.

My one experience of buying clothes off of eBay was a bust - too big, bulky and just didn't like it. I use eBay for a lot of other things and usually am 100% behind it, but for a suit, I'd head into the store. Just my two cents.

Buy a suit at Marshall's, it'll be even cheaper than on EBay. I've gotten 350 dollar coats for 80.

Well I just bought a great Calvin Klein suite at Syms for $400 in Navy blue. They had another one in dark gray that was great. Looks kinda like the one online but I can't splurge $400 on another suite at this time. Decisions decisions...............................

i bought some underwear on ebay. took a lil bit of elbow grease to wash out

Don't buy a suit on ebay. Buy it at a local store and get it tailored there.

unless you are talking about a swim suit, spend the extra $ and get it so it fits. like panda bear said, get the suit so it fits and looks good on you so you don't look like you just started dressing yourself ;)

I'm going to go against the general consensus, but with a caveat - you absolutely need to know what size suit you wear and what brands fit you well. If you know these things then I say go for it and buy it on ebay, but make sure it's a previously unaltered, unworn suit or that the measurements the seller gives are the measurements you need. If you know what size you wear in the brands you are looking at go for it and get it tailored locally, no big deal.

For example my bf is a 40 R in Joseph Abboud jackets. These jackets are typically $500-600 each but can be found on ebay for less than $100. He's worn these jackets for years and therefore knows how they fit and can trust that it will fit regardless of where it's coming from. Other brands don't fit him as well so those he can't buy on ebay but the Abboud's he can.

If there's a suit you like a ton on ebay go to a store that carries the brand and try it on. (Preferably one that the salespeople aren't on commission.) Make sure you wouldn't need a lot of tailoring done on it and then go for it.

I buy a ton of clothes on ebay and so far I've only had trouble with one item being smaller than I thought it would be. You just have to know hands down what size you wear in various brands so you know what will work and what won't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to go against the general consensus, but with a caveat - you absolutely need to know what size suit you wear and what brands fit you well. If you know these things then I say go for it and buy it on ebay, but make sure it's a previously unaltered, unworn suit or that the measurements the seller gives are the measurements you need. If you know what size you wear in the brands you are looking at go for it and get it tailored locally, no big deal.

For example my bf is a 40 R in Joseph Abboud jackets. These jackets are typically $500-600 each but can be found on ebay for less than $100. He's worn these jackets for years and therefore knows how they fit and can trust that it will fit regardless of where it's coming from. Other brands don't fit him as well so those he can't buy on ebay but the Abboud's he can.

If there's a suit you like a ton on ebay go to a store that carries the brand and try it on. (Preferably one that the salespeople aren't on commission.) Make sure you wouldn't need a lot of tailoring done on it and then go for it.

I buy a ton of clothes on ebay and so far I've only had trouble with one item being smaller than I thought it would be. You just have to know hands down what size you wear in various brands so you know what will work and what won't.

For something as important as your first suit for interviews, I'd just go spend the $200-300 and get a decent one from somewhere cheap like Mens Wearhouse (or somewhere comparable).

Definately do not buy a suit on Ebay. Even with suits in your size, each suit fit slightly different, you have to try them on. As exgatr said, you can usually find suits for cheap from dept stores anyway. I got mine for 50% off. Sometimes they do buy one get on free... You never have to pay full price for a good suit.

If you end up buying the suit on eBay, can you take a pic of yourself in it and post the pic? I want to see how ill-fitting it looks on you. :D

Originally posted by osu2006
I especially like the tie in the picture - you think Calvin Klein would straighten the tie on the dummy before taking a picture.

My one experience of buying clothes off of eBay was a bust - too big, bulky and just didn't like it. I use eBay for a lot of other things and usually am 100% behind it, but for a suit, I'd head into the store. Just my two cents.

And straighten the coat too - the left side is hanging lower than the right.

Or maybe it's cut funny?

Come on, this is your interview, your future. You've prepared so much for this, do you want to risk it? You can get that 100 dollar suit on ebay, but if it sucks, then you still need to get another suit. Also, your suit will last you well beyond your interview. Might as well go out and get a nice fitting suit at your local store.

Well, for what it's worth I bought an amazing overcoat for $30 on ebay. It was flawless when I got it and I couldn't have asked for a nicer coat (and it's brand name).

But a suit is a bit different from a coat. A coat can be a size too big and still fit. I bought my suit at a local tailor and had it custom fit.

Probably a safer way to go for sure.

You should buy your suit at a thrift store. They sell quality suits for half the price you would find on ebay.

i recently went to mexico. i walked in to a diesel store and the prices were so cheap. since i was ignornat, i bought stuff thinking it was real...when i came back to la, the diesel store broke the news to me.

that sux!

yeah i wouldnt trust a suit that is being sold on ebay.

i dont have much money, but i coughed up some $$ (200) and got a nice suit at Banana Republic. I always checked their website to see when the cost of their suits go down which they do periodically during the year. So maybe you can do some shopping that way and then when some of the prices are cheap...go inot the store and try it on. You get your first alterations for free and that is the only suit that I own. I've used it on all my interview of course with just the color of shirt varying.

Go to JC Penny or Sears during one of their sales. I got a suit for $120. With a couple shirts and ties it all cost under $200. I know some people think you need to spend boatloads on a perfectly tailored suit, but honestly, its not that big of a deal. As long as it fits you fairly well then you will be fine. Some stores also offer free alterations if you sign up for their credit cards, etc. You don't have to buy the suit blind to get it cheap.

~AS1~