Buying Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

civic4982

FM => Geri
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any bad experiences with half.com?

I just ordered a stack of books off of there. Some were from individuals and some were from big time sellers. Most of them I got new. Only saved about $80 as comapred to buying them from B&N new with the membership (including the price of the membership of $25).

I don't know if I should cancel my orders and just buy them from B&N so that if something doesn't come or isn't as described I only have to have company to complain to.

Members don't see this ad.

civic4982 said:

I just ordered a stack of books off of there. Some were from individuals and some were from big time sellers. Most of them I got new. Only saved about $80 as comapred to buying them from B&N new with the membership (including the price of the membership of $25).

I don't know if I should cancel my orders and just buy them from B&N so that if something doesn't come or isn't as described I only have to have company to complain to.

sorry, no experience w/half.com but since it's affiliated with ebay you're probably not going to get screwed. i've bought mine through b&n as a member, and that's fared well. the b&n store here in lubbock is nice but doesn't have most books in stock, so i am going to have to order many of them.

on another note, how are your summer mba classes going? i read another thread where you sounded pretty miserable and i was wondering if things were getting any better. contrary to the other posters i think you'll benefit from the degree in the long run. anyway, at least it's july and soon things will pick up with orientation and new classmates. hang in there! :)

amy

amy2003uva said:
sorry, no experience w/half.com but since it's affiliated with ebay you're probably not going to get screwed. i've bought mine through b&n as a member, and that's fared well. the b&n store here in lubbock is nice but doesn't have most books in stock, so i am going to have to order many of them.

on another note, how are your summer mba classes going? i read another thread where you sounded pretty miserable and i was wondering if things were getting any better. contrary to the other posters i think you'll benefit from the degree in the long run. anyway, at least it's july and soon things will pick up with orientation and new classmates. hang in there! :)

amy

yeah I hope my books get in eventually.

as for the MBA it went ok this last summer session. it was just really stressful. I think I'll be able to handle it better this next summer session.

Members don't see this ad :)
half.com is great, I recommend it.

civic4982 said:

I have bought and sold a ton of stuff on half.com. Never had a problem at all.

pillowhead said:
I have bought and sold a ton of stuff on half.com. Never had a problem at all.

I never pay full price for books, I ordered a large chunk of my textbooks from half.com, and they're good (just be sure to read the descriptions about their conditions), other good sites are amazon.com, and going to allbookstores.com will search many different websites. Just remember to order early, I saved at least ~$100 last spring! Although I'm cheap and can deal with a little highlighting or sometimes getting an older edition (i.e. Purves 2nd edition for Neuro vs. 3rd edition!)

i buy my books off half. Great. Cheap. Perfect for medical students