Buying new car with student loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Near

Kung Fu Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be long, but I could really use some advice/reassurance right now, so if you could bear with me...

So, I'm going to be commuting about 45 minutes to finish these last two years college and I need a car to do so.

I don't qualify for financial need (so, federal loans for tuition, which is fairly low), I have no savings, no job yet (need transportation for one!) and I'm not going to be able to get any help from the parents, so it's all going to be via private student loans. I believe Wells Fargo offers one that's not school certified, so the money does directly to you.

My parents suggested a new car would be better in the long-term.

Why? It's nicer obviously (greater utility), much better gas mileage (40 on highway, which would be terrific for commuting), safer, probably more reliable than a clunker, will build up my credit nicely, and whichever car I'll get, I'll be owning until I'm in my 30s at least.

I can get one for 17k (I'll have to take out more to cover insurance/gas for a while) with 0% financing.

I kind of want to be able to enjoy my youth a little, and I don't mind paying a lot extra down the line for a decade of a [more] pleasant experience. Any debt in manageable, right? There are people that'll have greater undergrad debt when I get to dental school.

I'd just like to know that this isn't like, financial suicide that'll make me bankrupt and hate myself for doing.

Note: There is one stipulation on my loan that concerns me, and that's the maximum 5-year in school deferment period. It means I'll have to start making payments back during my 3rd year of d-school. Payments can be as low as 50 bucks a month, so I guess I could put save some money aside for when that happens.

No car now=no car until I'm around 28

Members don't see this ad.

Get a used car.

Not all used cars have to be 'clunkers' with 100,000+ miles.

Even one with 25,000 miles will save you a couple grand.

P.S. insurance rates drop for cars ~4 years old.
Be responsible and do the right thing please.

Get a job, then get a used car. with some good summer jobs you can easily pocket 5-7K. can get a decent car for 6K and try and scrounge around for that 1K of insurance, and pray for no problems for the next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
get a used car that is in good conditions and save money.

Agreed with everyone.

Thought about taking out student loans to get a car... Hey, who doesn't want a sweet new whip to impress them ladies in DS?

Well, I realized... there is at time for everything, and a car with students loan is NOT the time. I'm going to end up using my parent's old family car that has a salvage title... The point is, like everyone said, get a cheap car, a drivable one can even be had for 1-2 thousand!

I'd love to cruise along in my shiny yellow Camaro down campus, but I guess a 1995 Camry will do. They both start with CAM?

What about gas mileage for old, cheap cars?

I would appreciate it if someone addressed my points individually...:(

Get a job, then get a used car. with some good summer jobs you can easily pocket 5-7K. can get a decent car for 6K and try and scrounge around for that 1K of insurance, and pray for no problems for the next year.

I would like that, but I kind of need a car to get a job. Otherwise I have no reliable, flexible transportation.

Get a used car.

Not all used cars have to be 'clunkers' with 100,000+ miles.

Even one with 25,000 miles will save you a couple grand.

P.S. insurance rates drop for cars ~4 years old.
Be responsible and do the right thing please.

Like I said...I don't mind spending a couple grand extra. Compared to my dental school loans, a couple more grand will be a drop in the bucket compared to what my (total) debt will be!

:thumbup:

Last edited:
something radical: dont get a car!

If you can survive without a car dont get one. Just stay on campus in UG and do the same in dental school. Think of all the money you will save! GAS, insurance, payments, work done, new tires, service etc.

Just put it off till after dental school.

something radical: dont get a car!

If you can survive without a car dont get one. Just stay on campus in UG and do the same in dental school. Think of all the money you will save! GAS, insurance, payments, work done, new tires, service etc.

Just put it off till after dental school.

I'd rather spend money so i could have a car before 30.

It sounds like you already know what you want to do and you're sort of looking for someone to agree with you. If that's the case, just do what you want, since you're just shooting down everyone saying "don't buy a car" or "buy a used car".

my theory, well not theory it is what I'm gonna do lol... get into Dental school and get a sexy ride with a student loan... sure you'll pay a lot back because of the interest but at least you will have it in your early 20's aka your youth. Thats y hopefully if i get an acceptance for this cycle I'm getting a 40k loan (+ 10k from family members) and getting a used 07 or 08 BMW M6... now i just gotta figure out how im gonna pay for the gas for this 500 horsepower V10 beast!

Members don't see this ad :)
my theory, well not theory it is what I'm gonna do lol... get into Dental school and get a sexy ride with a student loan... sure you'll pay a lot back because of the interest but at least you will have it in your early 20's aka your youth. Thats y hopefully if i get an acceptance for this cycle I'm getting a 40k loan (+ 10k from family members) and getting a used 07 or 08 BMW M6... now i just gotta figure out how im gonna pay for the gas for this 500 horsepower V10 beast!

that sounds like the most rational, realistic, and responsible thing that I have ever heard!

It sounds like you already know what you want to do and you're sort of looking for someone to agree with you. If that's the case, just do what you want, since you're just shooting down everyone saying "don't buy a car" or "buy a used car".

It's true that I was hoping for someone to agree with my reasons so that I could justify this to myself, but that doesn't seem to be happening. As far as those that say used, I can't disagree with the validity of any of those points. I can say though that I will be basing my decision on the rationality of the direct counterpoints to the reasons I listed, instead of automatically by the consensus of the majority.

That said, I really appreciate the time that everyone has taken to comment. It means a lot to me to see strangers offering advice to my silly and pathetic "problem". :oops:

Last edited:
OP: I just dont get it? why do you need a car prior to 30 if you dont need a car prior to 30? Most people get cars and drive because they MUST because of a full time job. Not because they're students and want to have a status symbol.

If you can limit your activity to on campus and take the bus etc. to get around or a ride with friends why the added stress and expense?

When you're older than 19 a car is no longer a right of passage. You're an adult now. If you dont need a car for some sort of obligation it's a huge waist of money. Think of all the things you could do with that money! The opportunity cost of not putting this "car money" into an IRA is huge, let alone the interest you will have to pay on this loan.

Think about the new car you can buy when you're graduated? eh? A new present to yourself for waiting and it will be paid off quickly as you'll have a income.

I still say go counter culture - ditch the car.

EDIT: sorry, n/m what i'm saying. I feel like your Dad lol.

OP: I just dont get it? why do you need a car prior to 30 if you dont need a car prior to 30? Most people get cars and drive because they MUST because of a full time job. Not because they're students and want to have a status symbol.

If you can limit your activity to on campus and take the bus etc. to get around or a ride with friends why the added stress and expense?

When you're older than 19 a car is no longer a right of passage. You're an adult now. If you dont need a car for some sort of obligation it's a huge waist of money. Think of all the things you could do with that money! The opportunity cost of not putting this "car money" into an IRA is huge, let alone the interest you will have to pay on this loan.

Think about the new car you can buy when you're graduated? eh? A new present to yourself for waiting and it will be paid off quickly as you'll have a income.

I still say go counter culture - ditch the car.

EDIT: sorry, n/m what i'm saying. I feel like your Dad lol.

lol. You make a couple good points, but it's not a status symbol, a car is something immensely useful for work and professional reasons. i'm not sure i would save any money living on campus, since the debt I would spend on the car would just be redirected to housing. And then after two years of undergrad, I'd have the debt of a cheap car but no car. I hope that makes sense...

and c'mon...everybody hates that guy who always needs to hitch a ride. amirite?

Haha this is such a tempting thing to do. I wanna do the same, but its def not smart. What's that saying? Live like dentist as a student, then you'll live as a student as a dentist (something like that). You're choosing the former. At least you get enjoy it when your young i guess.

darn.. this is truly a tough call.

Its nice to be responsible, mature, smart, wise, etc. blah blah and basically go with a super cheap used car.

On the other hand, you're only gonna be in your twenties once in this lifetime. Having a nice ride to relieve some stress while your cruising downtown on the weekends will sure make things memorable and interesting.

I guess when we're old/balding/fat, riding down the highway in a convertible sports car doesnt quite have the same feel. haha

i dont know.... this should be your own personal call bud !

95% of all new cars are worth 50% of its value after 3 years and then the value declines at a flatter slope. Thus it's foolish to buy a new car especially since most 3 yr old cars have about 30k miles on it meaning it'll still perform like new.

95% of all new cars are worth 50% of its value after 3 years and then the value declines at a flatter slope. Thus it's foolish to buy a new car especially since most 3 yr old cars have about 30k miles on it meaning it'll still perform like new.

your missing the point.

Even if he buys a 3 year old used BMW/sport car/etc. it will still cost him a hunk of debt.

The dilemma comes down to: super super cheap cars (ie. $10000 or less) vs more expensive cars used or new (ie. grater than 10000)

:laugh::laugh:

Ok I believe we've all missed the point here people!

The OP needs a car for his job and he needs a new one at that. He is also only going to be living his life once in his 20s. He doesn't need a 17k new car! He needs an aston martin.

Go get em boy!
Everyone loves that kid in an aston. All the ladies will love you.

I have never spent more than $8900 on a car. I get them 3-4 years old with about 50,000 miles. I keep them until they are 10 years old or over 150,000 miles. A well maintained car doesn't matter if it has a lot of miles on it. Save the money and get a used one. Gas mileage can be pretty good in lots of older cars...hell my first car was a 1992 and it got 45 mpg.

I will vote for an used one also if you really need one.

Find a small, older Honda or Toyota. We have a 1996 Toyota 4-runner with over 250K miles that looks and runs great. Its more dependable than a new car we bought three years ago. The uglier the car is, the cheaper it will be! Don't be in a hurry and shop around. It may not be sexy, but it will be reliable. I've been exactly where you are and I'm now at the other end paying for stupid mistakes I made when I was younger. You want a new car but you don't need one. Wait until you finish dental school to get the new car. Until then, keep your debt as low as possible so you can enjoy life when you finish school. You don't want to be over your head in debt when you finish. It will force you to make choices in your career that you might not make if you didn't have as much debt. I have friend who would love to open her own practice, but relies on the safety (steady paycheck) of her job as an associate.

darn.. this is truly a tough call.

Its nice to be responsible, mature, smart, wise, etc. blah blah and basically go with a super cheap used car.

On the other hand, you're only gonna be in your twenties once in this lifetime. Having a nice ride to relieve some stress while your cruising downtown on the weekends will sure make things memorable and interesting.

I guess when we're old/balding/fat, riding down the highway in a convertible sports car doesnt quite have the same feel. haha

i dont know.... this should be your own personal call bud !

Not necessarily less stress. Less stress when it comes to cars is having a decent, but average car. Used is even better. That way you wont care if it gets scratched up, dirty, dings, etc. No matter how careful you are, something or someone is going to eff up your car and it is going to suck. And of course you are probably going to want to fix up your nice 7 series to make it look like new again, but you mention you are taking out loans. Not really feasible.

I think that new nice cars are stressful as hell in that sense. I wouldn't want to worry about my car while I am supposed to be giving 100% on my studies. I know that there are a lot of OCD people out there like me about their cars. Then again a beater that breaks down can be just as stressful. My advice would be something in the middle. Personally, if I HAD to have a car I'd go with a used reliable brand like Honda or Toyota with like 50k mi. You can prob find one for like 5 grand or so.

Dad lecture over.

So, I'm going to be commuting about 45 minutes to finish these last two years college and I need a car to do so.

I'd just like to know that this isn't like, financial suicide that'll make me bankrupt and hate myself for doing.

Okay, you say you NEED a car for this? Then there's no reason to ask, just get a car since you need it. When dental school comes around sell the thing and re-coup a portion of what you spent, since you'll likely no longer need a car or be commuting 45 minutes. As for used vs new, get whatever you're happiest with within realistic limits (i.e. don't go out and buy a BMW), that's just what I'd do. Go ahead and weigh the pros and cons to aid your decision too, and get more detailed advice from your parents if you haven't already.

There's no way in hell adding on 6-20k to your already massive student loan is going to change the situation into financial suicide. Personally I have a hard time considering student loans for dental school even an option, but if you can stomach that, you can handle the extra for a car (you NEED it anyway right?). You should consider loan pay back options that are out there, and scholarships (military, public health service, etc).

In any case, it's terribly unfortunate you can't use public transit for these 2 years, it's a pain, but bearable and relatively cheap.

A car should take you from point A to point B. no more...no less :) paying more for a "fancier" car is no different than going to an expensive restaurant... its fun until you get the bill. good luck!

A car should take you from point A to point B. no more...no less :) paying more for a "fancier" car is no different than going to an expensive restaurant... its fun until you get the bill. good luck!

Which is fine, albeit demoralizing in a way knowing you were foolish enough to pay $20 for that drink and $80 for the platter you can get for $25 elsewhere (I've done it, I'll admit), if you are able to pay for it, aka when you are a professional and/or have a job.

I'd be happy to, and definitely will be, spending that extra money to get a nice car. Hey, work hard, play hard. Or at least enjoy hard, whatever. He doesn't have the means of paying for it, yet continues to strive for it.

OP, yes you are correct in that in the grand scheme of things, that money for the new car won't be that much, especially compared to your student loans. You see the problem here? You already said the student loan was great, why would you even think about adding to it?

I guess that's why Americans are in debt, need bail-outs, bankruptcy, and foreclosures on their homes.
"I'll just pay for it slowly, regardless of the fact that I may not be able to pay for it in the future. A $10,000 per year mortgage over 80 years doesn't sound that bad!"

Don't ever buy a new car!!

Also, if you are going to use student loans and there is no talking you out of it than you have to be smart about it. remember that your loans start collecting interest after 6 months out of school. Make sure that you get accepted to dental school and that you graduate from undergrad in the spring, that way your loans carry over and you don't collect interest while in dental school.

That is how I am paying for all my dental expenses (DAT materials, Application fees, and interview costs)

Also keep in mind if you buy a new $17,000 car now with the plan of going to dental school, you will defer payment on that car for 6.5 years. Between the natural interest rate of the loan and the recapitalization of that interest over those 6 years, you are paying probably double what that car is worth.

IMO, just buy a cheap, reliable used car from someone who has maintenance records to show it was cared for. No reason to spend more than a few thousand dollars.

Edit: A used car + repairs is still going to be far, far cheaper than a new car. I bought myself a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee for use in Dental School. I could replace the entire engine and transmission on it and still have spent less than a new Hyundai.

Which is fine, albeit demoralizing in a way knowing you were foolish enough to pay $20 for that drink and $80 for the platter you can get for $25 elsewhere (I've done it, I'll admit), if you are able to pay for it, aka when you are a professional and/or have a job.

I'd be happy to, and definitely will be, spending that extra money to get a nice car. Hey, work hard, play hard. Or at least enjoy hard, whatever. He doesn't have the means of paying for it, yet continues to strive for it.

OP, yes you are correct in that in the grand scheme of things, that money for the new car won't be that much, especially compared to your student loans. You see the problem here? You already said the student loan was great, why would you even think about adding to it?

I guess that's why Americans are in debt, need bail-outs, bankruptcy, and foreclosures on their homes.
"I'll just pay for it slowly, regardless of the fact that I may not be able to pay for it in the future. A $10,000 per year mortgage over 80 years doesn't sound that bad!"

right but buying a car with loans = financial stupidity lol you're gonna pay twice as much as the original value of the car. i dunno, i like to think with my wallet rather than with my emotions, esp since cars depreciate, break, and dont matter unless you are trying to pick up babes off the street (which has a very low success rate) lol

right but buying a car with loans = financial stupidity lol you're gonna pay twice as much as the original value of the car. i dunno, i like to think with my wallet rather than with my emotions, esp since cars depreciate, break, and dont matter unless you are trying to pick up babes off the street (which has a very low success rate) lol

true but you only live once, why would you want to wait until you graduate D school or wait even longer if you specialize when u can have the car in your early 20's while in D school? Sure you'll end up paying more in the long run, but in my opinion it will be worth it (this is coming from a car fanatic point of view though). Also when you finish D school and possibly get married, you once again wont be able to afford the expensive car.So better off getting it now, and getting it will most likely encourage you to study harder and try to specialize because of the larger chip on your shoulder... so its a motivational tool as well. But in the end both standpoints have there pros and cons.

true but you only live once, why would you want to wait until you graduate D school or wait even longer if you specialize when u can have the car in your early 20's while in D school? Sure you'll end up paying more in the long run, but in my opinion it will be worth it (this is coming from a car fanatic point of view though). Also when you finish D school and possibly get married, you once again wont be able to afford the expensive car.So better off getting it now, and getting it will most likely encourage you to study harder and try to specialize because of the larger chip on your shoulder... so its a motivational tool as well. But in the end both standpoints have there pros and cons.

ye you like cars thats probably why you would do it. im ok with a $10K to $15K used altima. it gets you from A to B and doesnt suck up gas. Plus im more into traveling, for $60,000 I can see a good chunk of the world (over a few years.)
Thats the beauty of a good career and good medical field. The luxury to spend money. Imagine being broke now with a dead end job like McD's that the worst!

Not necessarily less stress. Less stress when it comes to cars is having a decent, but average car. Used is even better. That way you wont care if it gets scratched up, dirty, dings, etc. No matter how careful you are, something or someone is going to eff up your car and it is going to suck. And of course you are probably going to want to fix up your nice 7 series to make it look like new again, but you mention you are taking out loans. Not really feasible.

I think that new nice cars are stressful as hell in that sense. I wouldn't want to worry about my car while I am supposed to be giving 100% on my studies. I know that there are a lot of OCD people out there like me about their cars. Then again a beater that breaks down can be just as stressful. My advice would be something in the middle. Personally, if I HAD to have a car I'd go with a used reliable brand like Honda or Toyota with like 50k mi. You can prob find one for like 5 grand or so.

Dad lecture over.

You know...this thread has changed my mind. A nice new car is basically a vanity for me, but I gotta look at the fact that I'm a penniless student. If I start being materialistic about things now, then that just encourages it later on. I found some fairly nice used cars (that I'd be satisfied with!) for under 10 K.

You are my new father now.

What is with all of this "you only live once" stuff? How is that related to a new car? It's a huge headache.

When I think of "you only live once" I think of experiences like; gf's, vacations, friends, war, fun team sports etc. Not a poor financial choice that will set you back from acheiving things in the future.

It's just a very poor way of making financial decisions (not a terrible way of making some life decisions though).

EDIT: Contratz OP! Get a sweet used ride.

What is with all of this "you only live once" stuff? How is that related to a new car? It's a huge headache.

When I think of "you only live once" I think of experiences like; gf's, vacations, friends, war, fun team sports etc. Not a poor financial choice that will set you back from acheiving things in the future.

It's just a very poor way of making financial decisions (not a terrible way of making some life decisions though).

EDIT: Contratz OP! Get a sweet used ride.

lmao, like I said to each his own; btw my plan is only if i get into my state schools (they are relatively cheaper) or NYU because I will be living at home if I go to NYU so living and housing expenses are paid 4 by the folks... so the car is pretty much replacing the housing cost I would've had to pay for lol

You know...this thread has changed my mind. A nice new car is basically a vanity for me, but I gotta look at the fact that I'm a penniless student. If I start being materialistic about things now, then that just encourages it later on. I found some fairly nice used cars (that I'd be satisfied with!) for under 10 K.

You are my new father now.

:laugh::thumbup::highfive:

before I became a student I owned my own business (pre-2008 bubble burst).

I bought several cars (my wife thinks I had a problem) and a boat.

The boat I lucked out on and sold for near what I bought it for (we're talking mid-30's).

The cars came and went, all new, trade in, etc.

HUGE waste of money! But thought it was ok..

What do I drive now?

I have my school/dog transport car -> 1994 Honda Accord Coupe

It has 260K miles on it and it runs like a top. And out of all the cars, I enjoy it more than most. It gets 30+ mpg so I usually get about 450 miles per tank. Insurance is low, as its old. And parts are readily accessible as it was one of the most produced cars..

Moral of the story.. You need a car that suits your income. If you have zero income, get a honda which will run forever.

But be smart. Accruing debt to get a depreciating object is not.

before I became a student I owned my own business (pre-2008 bubble burst).

I bought several cars (my wife thinks I had a problem) and a boat.

The boat I lucked out on and sold for near what I bought it for (we're talking mid-30's).

The cars came and went, all new, trade in, etc.

HUGE waste of money! But thought it was ok..

What do I drive now?

I have my school/dog transport car -> 1994 Honda Accord Coupe

It has 260K miles on it and it runs like a top. And out of all the cars, I enjoy it more than most. It gets 30+ mpg so I usually get about 450 miles per tank. Insurance is low, as its old. And parts are readily accessible as it was one of the most produced cars..

Moral of the story.. You need a car that suits your income. If you have zero income, get a honda which will run forever.

But be smart. Accruing debt to get a depreciating object is not.

:thumbdown: False!

Get a Toyota that will run forever :laugh:
1999 Toyota Camry, going strong!

I kid, of course, both are fantastic cars.

In all seriousness though, it's easier said than done. You've already been through the "get all the cars you want and even a boat" phase and had the joy of it. I'm sure if OP actually did get a new car with his loans, he'd be on here 10 years later telling someone else who is posting the same question that he should NOT get it. I totally agree with what you said, but let's be honest, we're all human and if you are a car guru, like myself, it's really hard to tell yourself no when it is a possibility.

Wow.

Using a student loan to buy a car is dishonest and illegal. I'm sure many people will try to justify a car as a normal school expense, but it is not. Why don't you call and ask the people issuing the loan if it is okay? These loans are designed and financed for education; the type of loan you need is an "auto loan."

I'm sure the Department of Education would be really pissed to hear that someone is abusing the government's guarantee of graduate school loans, just so a spoiled student doesn't have to take public transportation.

And considering the current national dialogue about student loans, i'm absolutely stunned to be seeing this promoted on a forum for prospective doctors.

I hope for everyone's sake the moderators delete this post.

Wow.

Using a student loan to buy a car is dishonest and illegal. I'm sure many people will try to justify a car as a normal school expense, but it is not. Why don't you call and ask the people issuing the loan if it is okay? These loans are designed and financed for education; the type of loan you need is an "auto loan."

I'm sure the Department of Education would be really pissed to hear that someone is abusing the government's guarantee of graduate school loans, just so a spoiled student doesn't have to take public transportation.

And considering the current national dialogue about student loans, i'm absolutely stunned to be seeing this promoted on a forum for prospective doctors.

What are you babbling about, your acting like we are screwing loaners... The keyword here is "INTEREST"... They are the ones who win... No matter what

Wow.

Dentists aren't doctors.

No, don't anyone try to argue with me here. They just aren't. If you really want that title, go get a MD or Ph.D (but then you still wouldn't be a prospective doctor...you'd be a person looking to get his doctorate...) I hope for everyone's sake, ADCOMS don't accept you for thinking you're a DOCTOR.

All seriousness, like the person above me who beat me to it, this is to say, what are you babbling on about? What is up your....
Before you pretend to be all knowing and all moral, let's get your fact straight first. Get your DMD/DDS, advertise yourself as a Dr. in NYC and off to jail you go. Yeah, see how obnoxious it is?

Dentists aren't doctors.

No, don't anyone try to argue with me here. They just aren't. If you really want that title, go get a MD or Ph.D (but then you still wouldn't be a prospective doctor...you'd be a person looking to get his doctorate...) I hope for everyone's sake, ADCOMS don't accept you for thinking you're a DOCTOR.

All seriousness, like the person above me who beat me to it, this is to say, what are you babbling on about? What is up your....
Before you pretend to be all knowing and all moral, let's get your fact straight first. Get your DMD/DDS, advertise yourself as a Dr. in NYC and off to jail you go. Yeah, see how obnoxious it is?

Not trying to argue and this is going to be totally off topic, but I'm just curious... how are dentists not doctors if the degree you earn is DDS = Doctor of Dental Surgery? (or DMD which has doctor in it too)

Not trying to argue and this is going to be totally off topic, but I'm just curious... how are dentists not doctors if the degree you earn is DDS = Doctor of Dental Surgery? (or DMD which has doctor in it too)

In the most technical and simplified definition of the word doctor, then yes dentists are in fact doctors. That is, as you pointed out, someone with a doctorate. However, due to society and misunderstanding, the word doctor has become accepted to mean medical doctor, or physician, which, a dentist is not.

If it is easier to understand, think about someone with a PhD. You call them Dr. ____ because they have a doctorate. However, if you refer to someone as Dr. ____ most people automatically assume medical doctor. I'm not saying you do, but a large number of people will. Because of this, some places (I know NYC off the top of my head because I live close to there and I'm sure there are others) have made regulations where you can not advertise yourself as a Doctor unless you have a MD. Without getting int a debate on weather or not this is right, or what is wrong with our society, but the point is if the government is making regulations, it means it obviously is a problem and the misconception of what a doctor really is and what people think it is (MD).

So, to go back to what I was saying. The way he phrased it and in context, "prospective doctor" would give the connotation of medical doctor, or physician, which a dentist is not.

I'm sure many people will disagree with this, but this is just my opinion and to my understanding... is "technically correct" in that government agencies are playing along with "you are only a doctor if you are a medical doctor" so if it's good enough for the all might big brother, it's good enough for me.

Besides, I'm striving to be a dentist and don't care if you call yourself a Dr. or not, but I just wanted to pick on him cause I didn't like his negative condescending tone :D

Last edited:
Dentists aren't doctors.

How is Ph.D. more of a doctor than a dentist? Also, who cares? Like 99% of jobs aren't doctors.

In the most technical and simplified definition of the word doctor, then yes dentists are in fact doctors. That is, as you pointed out, someone with a doctorate. However, due to society and misunderstanding, the word doctor has become accepted to mean medical doctor, or physician, which, a dentist is not.

If it is easier to understand, think about someone with a PhD. You call them Dr. ____ because they have a doctorate. However, if you refer to someone as Dr. ____ most people automatically assume medical doctor. I'm not saying you do, but a large number of people will. Because of this, some places (I know NYC off the top of my head because I live close to there and I'm sure there are others) have made regulations where you can not advertise yourself as a Doctor unless you have a MD. Without getting int a debate on weather or not this is right, or what is wrong with our society, but the point is if the government is making regulations, it means it obviously is a problem and the misconception of what being a doctor really means and what people thin it means (MD).

So, to go back to what I was saying. The way he phrased it and in context, "prospective doctor" would give the connotation of medical doctor, or physician, which a dentist is not.

Besides, I'm striving to be a dentist and don't care if you call yourself a Dr. or not, but I just wanted to pick on him cause I didn't like his negative condescending tone
:D

By advertising as a doctor do you mean I couldn't advertise myself as "Dr. Jedi" or I just can't say "Hi, I'm Jedi, I'm a doctor."?

By advertising as a doctor do you mean I couldn't advertise myself as "Dr. Jedi" or I just can't say "Hi, I'm Jedi, I'm a doctor."?

As in, you can't put an ad up in the paper advertising your practice and put your name and title as Dr. Jedi.

As for

How is Ph.D. more of a doctor than a dentist? Also, who cares? Like 99% of jobs aren't doctors.

I never said PhD is more of a doctor than a dentist, I was just using it as another example because it may be easier to understand because dentists still work on patients, while people with just a PhD do not operate on patients.

Also, I don't care as I have mentioned earlier but for argument sakes (cause we're all waiting for that Dec1st date and have nothing better to do...) 99% of jobs aren't doctors, also realize your income bracket when you become well established is in the 95+ %tile so it matters in that sure, 99% of jobs don't have doctorates but that's why they're not in the 99% income bracket. Now, this is ignoring Wall Street and what not.