Buying step 1 beginning of first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Em4234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering what your thoughts are on getting the step 1 ( first aid) from the beginning of your med school to kinda add your own notes to it. So when the test day approaches you have a book filled with all the necessary information added to it. I watched/read many suggestion but most people seem to get the January version of the book 5 or 6 month prior to ther test. Does the book really change that much each year? Would you say its a bad idea to have it and use it as early as your first year and kinda get use to its formating?
Any advice is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I was wondering what your thoughts are on getting the step 1 ( first aid) from the beginning of your med school to kinda add your own notes to it. So when the test day approaches you have a book filled with all the necessary information added to it.

Only put UWORLD annotation in FA, or else you run the risk of making a giant book filled with lower-yield information.

Would you say its a bad idea to have it and use it as early as your first year and kinda get use to its formating?

I bought FA for first year and only really used it for reviewing for end-of-semester NBME subject tests. Like it says in many threads here, FA is a REVIEW source,not a LEARNING source, so you would be better off learning from class, esp for first year.

I watched/read many suggestion but most people seem to get the January version of the book 5 or 6 month prior to ther test. Does the book really change that much each year?

I studied for my Step 1 in 2015 using FA 2014. I did this because when the newest FA comes out in January, the errata do not usually come out until March. I wanted last year's edition to make sure all the errata were found, and to make sure I was not studying incorrect information in the newest edition before March.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! Thats all great information. So i guess im going to return the book and try to find an older version for cheap or find someone who is willing to give it away so i use it as a review source first year :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only put UWORLD annotation in FA, or else you run the risk of making a giant book filled with lower-yield information.

I bought FA for first year and only really used it for reviewing for end-of-semester NBME subject tests. Like it says in many threads here, FA is a REVIEW source,not a LEARNING source, so you would be better off learning from class, esp for first year.

I studied for my Step 1 in 2015 using FA 2014. I did this because when the newest FA comes out in January, the errata do not usually come out until March. I wanted last year's edition to make sure all the errata were found, and to make sure I was not studying incorrect information in the newest edition before March.

This is really good advice, but I want to offer a slightly different take (which is probably saying the same thing anways). I started preparing for Step 1 from Day 1, but not all by taking notes in FA.

I actually used USMLERx Qbank throughout first year to test subject-specific topics before our exams. It was only this information that I would annotate into FA. I would then use FA as a study guide all the way until Step 1. Think of FA like a dictionary. It has a collection of terms and facts. What you learn in medical school is how to use those terms and facts to practice medicine. But you would never learn a language by studying a dictionary, and you shouldn't use FA to learn medicine. It's just a guide.

My approach had this benefit: by the time Step 1 rolled around, I had already completed a QBank and was thoroughly familiar with FA. I went straight into UWorld and NBMEs for my month of dedicated study and it worked out well.

The content of Step 1 doesn't seem to change that much from year to year (as evidenced by how similar closely-spaced NBMEs are), but FA is always updated with new facts that people have likely reported as showing up on the exam. Invariably when the new FA is released, a thread pops up on the Step 1 forums comparing the differences--those actually tend to be high-yield, since they've probably recently shown up on Step 1 for multiple people (otherwise they wouldn't have been added to FA). Just wait for that thread to pop up in 2017 or whenever. Otherwise, go to the library and look at the latest edition. It shouldn't take that long to notice major changes. I also strongly agree about errata.

You could always just buy two editions, but it's a pain to transfer your annotations, and you should be getting thoroughly familiar with just one resource. As an aside, a very common mistake people make when studying for Step 1 is getting a million different resources. I think acquiring these resources makes people feel better, but they really muddle the dedicated studying period. You need to approach Step 1 like an inverted pyramid, funneling down to the most essential information as you get closer and closer to the test date. This means that the majority of your Step 1 study should actually come early, by laying a strong foundation in your preclinical coursework.

But to return to your specific question, notes are either notes to learn or notes to review. Notes to learn shouldn't be in FA. Notes to review should, but only the notes relevant to Step 1. Because that's what FA is for--to review for Step 1. The best way to know what notes are relevant to Step 1 is to do a QBank. I like USMLERx, because it familiarises you with FA while also providing some good questions for both your preclinicals exams and Step 1. Some people prefer Kaplan, but it's quite pedantic and doesn't tie into FA as well. Save UWorld till the end, because it's simply the best and highly integrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
This is really good advice, but I want to offer a slightly different take (which is probably saying the same thing anways). I started preparing for Step 1 from Day 1, but not all by taking notes in FA.

I actually used USMLERx Qbank throughout first year to test subject-specific topics before our exams. It was only this information that I would annotate into FA. I would then use FA as a study guide all the way until Step 1. Think of FA like a dictionary. It has a collection of terms and facts. What you learn in medical school is how to use those terms and facts to practice medicine. But you would never learn a language by studying a dictionary, and you shouldn't use FA to learn medicine. It's just a guide.

My approach had this benefit: by the time Step 1 rolled around, I had already completed a QBank and was thoroughly familiar with FA. I went straight into UWorld and NBMEs for my month of dedicated study and it worked out well.

The content of Step 1 doesn't seem to change that much from year to year (as evidenced by how similar closely-spaced NBMEs are), but FA is always updated with new facts that people have likely reported as showing up on the exam. Invariably when the new FA is released, a thread pops up on the Step 1 forums comparing the differences--those actually tend to be high-yield, since they've probably recently shown up on Step 1 for multiple people (otherwise they wouldn't have been added to FA). Just wait for that thread to pop up in 2017 or whenever. Otherwise, go to the library and look at the latest edition. It shouldn't take that long to notice major changes. I also strongly agree about errata.

You could always just buy two editions, but it's a pain to transfer your annotations, and you should be getting thoroughly familiar with just one resource. As an aside, a very common mistake people make when studying for Step 1 is getting a million different resources. I think acquiring these resources makes people feel better, but they really muddle the dedicated studying period. You need to approach Step 1 like an inverted pyramid, funneling down to the most essential information as you get closer and closer to the test date. This means that the majority of your Step 1 study should actually come early, by laying a strong foundation in your preclinical coursework.

But to return to your specific question, notes are either notes to learn or notes to review. Notes to learn shouldn't be in FA. Notes to review should, but only the notes relevant to Step 1. Because that's what FA is for--to review for Step 1. The best way to know what notes are relevant to Step 1 is to do a QBank. I like USMLERx, because it familiarises you with FA while also providing some good questions for both your preclinicals exams and Step 1. Some people prefer Kaplan, but it's quite pedantic and doesn't tie into FA as well. Save UWorld till the end, because it's simply the best and highly integrative.

How did the method of completing the USMLERx Qbank pre-dedicated time work out for you (i.e. your Step score)?

A comfortable 252 with one month of dedicated study. Not a monster score by SDN standards, but I'm happy with it.
What are SDN standards for Step?
I think that's a great score and I'd be ecstatic about it.

SDN standards are that anything below a 280 dooms you to practicing primary care I'm a city where the people are outnumbered by the elk.

Seriously hold off on step one so early. Focus on your classes and your grades and really learning your material. You'll drive yourself mad early on with all the stuff in first aid you think you aren't being taught yet because your courses won't follow the book. Maybe get one for the mnemonics and to skim for high yield info for your exams (testable things are highly testable).

The reality is you won't know what's important early on. I've overheard medical students complain about meaningless details that were actually crucial aspects of understanding clinical medicine. It's hard in the beginning to know which details are truly less important. Annotating early is a complete waste of time and honestly probably hurts more than helps.

I always advise using step 1 resources early only if they are an adjunct to help you with class work. I sure loved my BRS physio book as an M1 because it made for such a nice quick review and phrased things differently than my professors at times which helped me better understand.

Here's one of the biggest myths on SDN: the idea that you can "focus on step one" instead of your classes. While there are a very tiny select few for whom this may be wise, most people I know who did this did not come away with the stellar step score they thought 8x through First Aid would get them. Many ultimately had to extend their test date as they were woefully unprepared.

I'm the beginning, focus on your class work. Give it your all and see where the chips fall. If you have the chops to be at the top of your class, then do it and land AOA while you're at it and know you'll probably crush step 1 too. But if you're someone who will ultimately struggle to pass, you don't want to start the year with some failing grades because you were focusing on boards.

Reactions: 5 users
What are SDN standards for Step?
I think that's a great score and I'd be ecstatic about it.

Then you have not yet witnessed the florid neuroses that dominate the SDN Step 1 forum.

I just want to emphasise what I wrote after I got my score.

"How do I feel about my score? Good. It's not a monster score you often see on SDN, but I use "Charting Outcomes" to keep a sense of perspective--again, relying on actual data and not the SDN bubble--and I see that I, as an IMG, have a 100% chance of matching psychiatrty and a 80%+ chance of matching neurology. What more can I ask for? If something holds me back, it won't be my Step score.

I probably could've spent my last few weeks of vacation to push up my score. But I'm glad I didn't. My best friend was diagnosed with Ph+ CML two days after I took Step 1. I immediately flew out to see him. I got to spend a lot of quality time with him, tell him I love him very much, and explain how good the prognosis is ("if you're gonna get cancer, this is a great one to get"!). Imagine if that had happened while I was studying for Step 1! Life is funny like that. Again, the point is this: have a reasonable goal in mind, get the NBME score you're happy with and just take the damned thing. Life goes on, with or without you."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
SDN standards are that anything below a 280 dooms you to practicing primary care I'm a city where the people are outnumbered by the elk.

Seriously hold off on step one so early. Focus on your classes and your grades and really learning your material. You'll drive yourself mad early on with all the stuff in first aid you think you aren't being taught yet because your courses won't follow the book. Maybe get one for the mnemonics and to skim for high yield info for your exams (testable things are highly testable).

The reality is you won't know what's important early on. I've overheard medical students complain about meaningless details that were actually crucial aspects of understanding clinical medicine. It's hard in the beginning to know which details are truly less important. Annotating early is a complete waste of time and honestly probably hurts more than helps.

I always advise using step 1 resources early only if they are an adjunct to help you with class work. I sure loved my BRS physio book as an M1 because it made for such a nice quick review and phrased things differently than my professors at times which helped me better understand.

Here's one of the biggest myths on SDN: the idea that you can "focus on step one" instead of your classes. While there are a very tiny select few for whom this may be wise, most people I know who did this did not come away with the stellar step score they thought 8x through First Aid would get them. Many ultimately had to extend their test date as they were woefully unprepared.

I'm the beginning, focus on your class work. Give it your all and see where the chips fall. If you have the chops to be at the top of your class, then do it and land AOA while you're at it and know you'll probably crush step 1 too. But if you're someone who will ultimately struggle to pass, you don't want to start the year with some failing grades because you were focusing on boards.

@operaman, quality post, as usual. I actually agree with you in large part. But I still think it's key to familiarise yourself with FA and Step 1 questions early, if only to know the depth and degree of lateral thinking to study for. Step 1 from Day 1 means exactly what you're saying: build a strong foundation. But yes, if you're struggling with classes, this approach might not work for you. It's just what worked for me.

Also, I only meant to use a QBank to prep for preclinical exams. It worked well for me be because our curriculum was entirely systems-based, so it lent itself to the QBank format. My approach not have worked in a traditional curriculum, which is naturally less lateral.

For people sending me PMs, here are my original Step 1 posts:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...d-scores-thread.1104788/page-14#post-16232200

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...d-scores-thread.1104788/page-16#post-16313455

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your advice !! I returned the book today and I guess i am just going to focus on my studies during first year (thats what is in step 1 anyways) we also have a system based curriculum and I do learn better when I study in a question/answer format so I guess I am going to wait and do more research on the resources out there that help me not only for my exams but also step 1 :)

A comfortable 252 with one month of dedicated study. Not a monster score by SDN standards, but I'm happy with it.
I think thats a great score!! SDN always has unrealistic standards when it comes to scores (MCAT, USMLE, etc) i wish you the best of luck my friend

There was a person on here complaining about how they couldn't believe they had to learn about gram staining and how low yield it was. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that's more high yield and relevant on the wards when it comes to infection.

Reactions: 3 users
There was a person on here complaining about how they couldn't believe they had to learn about gram staining and how low yield it was. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that's more high yield and relevant on the wards when it comes to infection.

That's pretty bad.

But that also illustrates my point. Gram staining is definetly in First Aid. And if it's in First Aid, you should definetly know it. In fact, in some cases, First Aid (and a QBank) is the only way you know what's actually important for Step 1. First Aid is a guide for what needs to be studied further.

One thing I've noticed. The ones who did best on Step 1 developed their own plan. They were aggressive about seeking the best resources and dumping things that didn't work (even lectures, for example).

There are lots of strategies and suggestions on SDN. Start picking through and tailor them to work for you. Just be realistic. It gets very hard to lose track of reality in the SDN bubble. Use Charting Outcomes to find a reasonable goal for you.

Last edited:
@operaman, quality post, as usual. I actually agree with you in large part. But I still think it's key to familiarise yourself with FA and Step 1 questions early, if only to know the depth and degree of lateral thinking to study for. Step 1 from Day 1 means exactly what you're saying: build a strong foundation. But yes, if you're struggling with classes, this approach might not work for you. It's just what worked for me.

Also, I only meant to use a QBank to prep for preclinical exams. It worked well for me be because our curriculum was entirely systems-based, so it lent itself to the QBank format. My approach not have worked in a traditional curriculum, which is naturally less lateral.

For people sending me PMs, here are my original Step 1 posts:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...d-scores-thread.1104788/page-14#post-16232200

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...d-scores-thread.1104788/page-16#post-16313455
Lymphocyte, did you have any experience with Kaplans Qbank at all/do you know if it is a reasonable substitution for USMLERx? It seems Kaplan's option plan is easier to use through out MS1/MS2 vs the plans USMLERx has outlined (3mo, 6 mo, 1 yr and 'til you pass') -- We have a 1-1/2 year preclinical, so it would be easier to maintain the Qbank vs some other schools who have 2 yr

Seriously there is no need to spend two years tearing through first aid. I spent less than 6 weeks studying and wish I would have taken the thing after about 4.5

What are some opinions of firecracker? I've heard varying things. Several people have told me that using it from day 1 or even the beginning of ms2 was very beneficial. Others have said it was worthless, especially for dedicated studying. Where does it fit in with all of this (if at all)?

Also, does anyone else feel like if you don't start prepping for boards perfectly within the first two weeks of ms1 that you'll fail your boards, get kicked out of school, and have to live in a van down by the river?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Hahahahah im with you bro :) +1

"Also, does anyone else feel like if you don't start prepping for boards perfectly within the first two weeks of ms1 that you'll fail your boards, get kicked out of school, and have to live in a van down by the river? "

What are some opinions of firecracker? I've heard varying things. Several people have told me that using it from day 1 or even the beginning of ms2 was very beneficial. Others have said it was worthless, especially for dedicated studying. Where does it fit in with all of this (if at all)?

Also, does anyone else feel like if you don't start prepping for boards perfectly within the first two weeks of ms1 that you'll fail your boards, get kicked out of school, and have to live in a van down by the river?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I've heard, yes. You don't want to live by the rivers in my hood.

This is how it starts! The neurosis! Don't let it happen to you!! Be realistic about scores (the mean really is the mean) and experiment. Find what works for you. People get so fixated on finding exactly the right method. But the simple, maddening truth is that there's is no one method--otherwise, it would be easy, and it's definitely not.

Look, I'm no expert on prepping for Step 1. I'm only an expert in how I prepped for Step 1. I had a high goal in mind; I took an honest assessment of my school's strengths and weaknesses (which took about 3-4 months to even gain perspective); I looked at what others had done on SDN; some stuff worked, and some stuff really didn't.

Be aggressive about learning. Use FA as a guide. Use a QBank to test your learning with respect to Step 1. And if this doesn't work for you, try something else. But just don't feel disheartened.

Last edited:
Just to make this even more concrete (and I'm going to out myself to my friends who know I do this -- Hi guys, it's me, lymphocyte):

Our school had weekly PBLs. One PBL was on foetal cardiac defects. So I would flip through First Aid and think: what should I learn? I then noted these pages and created a personal syllabus for the week (even going a little bit beyond the topic at hand, just to make sure I covered everything). It's copy and pasted below (from FA 2012). I would then use my repertoire of resources that I knew worked for me (a mix of reading, visual, and audio like Pathoma, Dr Najeeb, Kaplan, Goljan audio, Goljan RR, and highly reviewed books on Amazon, etc.) to learn more about these topics.

Note that it's lateral in its approach--looking at chapters in cardiology, biochemistry, and embryology (back when that was a separate chapter). Note also that it encourages a close reading of FA, so that you become familiar with its content. When I finished the entire cardiology block, I would then test myself using USMLERx and annotate what I got wrong. This is how I turned FA into my personal study guide until I got to Step 1. Again, FA is a guide, not a learning tool.

My friends were on board, so we did this together throughout medical school with review sessions every Sunday. It was incredibly motivating. I didn't go to lecture, I didn't do any of the university's practice questions, I only attended the anatomy practicals, and I still managed to qualify for honours. 9-5 M-F plus half of Sunday. Yeah, it was DIY medical school in my pajamas at my study table. But that's what worked for me.

Cardio:
pp. 292-294 All subsections related to congenital cardiac defects
pg. 299 Cardiomyopathies
pg. 303 Cardiac tumours
pg. 304 Vascular tumours (Review)

Biochem:
pg. 93 Autosomal trisomies, Robertsonian translocation
pg. 94 Cri-du-chat syndrome, Williams syndrome, 22q11 deletion syndromes (Review)

Embryology:
pp. 130-131 Heart embryology, Truncus arterious, IVSD, IASD
pg. 132 Foetal circulation, Foetal-postnatal derivatives

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users