1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

buying textbooks

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by moo, Mar 19, 2002.

1. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

My uncle is going back to Hong Kong soon. I have always gotten ugrad textbooks from HK for cheap compared to prices in North America. Are textbooks pretty much standard across US medical schools? Are there any "bibles" I should be aware of? In particular, I will be attending either Northwestern or MCW.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. docuw

docuw Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease and Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy are two "Bibles" for your first year.

4. lionel

lionel Member
    7+ Year Member

might want to get a color/photo atlas for anatomy, many people find these really helpful, Rohen, or was it Roan, is the author of the one people use... they are usually pretty expensive so it would be worthwhile to get it cheap in HK. i bought mine used etc. Netter is also a good choice for learning/conceptualizing things, Rohen is great supplement/for the practical and general studying etc.

l

5. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by moo:
    <strong>My uncle is going back to Hong Kong soon. I have always gotten ugrad textbooks from HK for cheap compared to prices in North America. Are textbooks pretty much standard across US medical schools? Are there any "bibles" I should be aware of? In particular, I will be attending either Northwestern or MCW.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would consider getting the following:

Netter or Clemente for anatomy
    Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease
    Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine

That last one is a big chunk of bills, but I think it will provide you with an excellent resource throughout medical school and residency. It promises to decay in accuracy, but not by that much.

6. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lionel:
    <strong>might want to get a color/photo atlas for anatomy, many people find these really helpful, Rohen, or was it Roan, is the author of the one people use... </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is Rohen, of Yokochi and Rohen. Excellent book, but I'd make it third on your list after Baby Moore and Clemente/Netter.