Buying uniforms before OIS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclegirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In one of the other threads for the AF they suggested buying your uniforms before training. Is it also recommended to buy Navy uniforms before attending OIS. It actually sounds better to get them before because then you can have them all tailored and pressed. Any of you that have completed OIS have any suggestions on how to prepare?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't buy Navy uniforms prior to OIS. They will have you do a big shopping spree down at the NEX. There will be time for you to get your uniform tailored, etc.

Have fun. I really enjoyed OIS. Newport is great.

bobbyseal said:
Don't buy Navy uniforms prior to OIS. They will have you do a big shopping spree down at the NEX. There will be time for you to get your uniform tailored, etc.

Have fun. I really enjoyed OIS. Newport is great.

Yesterday, 2 March, the Chief of Naval Operations officially approved several changes to the uniform policy. There will be a phase-in period of several years. Major highlights:

1. gone are shipboard cotton khakis, shipboard utility uniform, and the traditional enlisted black or white uniforms ashore uniforms.

2. replacing cotton shipboard khaki and shipboard utility uniform for all ranks are a Navy blue and grey cammo pattern working uniform, and E1-E6 will have a year-round "office" uniform of khaki shirt over black pants/skirt.

3. E7 and above "office" uniform will continue to be the perm press khaki uniform, worn year round.

4. nothing was mentioned about dress blues, dress whites (choker collar), or short sleeve, open neck summer whites.

Also contained in the message were comments about future consideration of a Navy-wide official PT uniform, and bringing back the service dress khaki for E7 and above. This was discontinued in the late 1970s. It's the khaki version of dress blues, with coat and tie. The coat has the hard epaulets.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT buy any uniforms prior to OIS. And while there buy the absolute minimum you can get away with.

They had us spend about 1200(out of your own pocket, uniform allowance is 200) on uniforms while I was there. Then you barely wear them for 4 years and nothing fits when you come on AD after med school. Buy just the minimum.

usnavdoc said:
DO NOT buy any uniforms prior to OIS. And while there buy the absolute minimum you can get away with.

They had us spend about 1200(out of your own pocket, uniform allowance is 200) on uniforms while I was there. Then you barely wear them for 4 years and nothing fits when you come on AD after med school. Buy just the minimum.

The uniform allowance is now 400 I believe, but I tend to agree with you for HPSP'ers. What you will need while in medical school is probably limited to a pair of khaki's and a pair of Service Dress Blues. May need the whites, but you can wear the SDB's year round so that should get you out of the whites. The only reason I say you need more than khaki's is for interviewing fourth year. I'm a USUHS person, so if you're reading this thread and going to USUHS you'll need everything and then some (don't buy the mess dress though).

Can we use a credit card to purchase the uniforms? An OIS FAQ I saw recently mentioned a large sum of money to bring along. I'd prefer not to carry a lot of cash.

Also, when we request OIS do we specify the flight information or does the Navy arrange the flights according to their own preferences? Should we fly in Sunday afternoon and fly out graduation day?

Piers said:
Can we use a credit card to purchase the uniforms? An OIS FAQ I saw recently mentioned a large sum of money to bring along. I'd prefer not to carry a lot of cash.

Also, when we request OIS do we specify the flight information or does the Navy arrange the flights according to their own preferences? Should we fly in Sunday afternoon and fly out graduation day?

It is a regular uniform store and you can use a CC. The Navy arranges the flights and ground transportation but you can set your own preferences. Such as flying out of where you want and such as well as possibly arriving early and leaving when you want. Also once you have your tickets in hand you can always work with the airline to fly at different times.

NewPort is fun that time of year, I stayed the weekend following graduation and flew out a few days later. Several people did this as well.

usnavdoc said:
...... The Navy arranges the flights and ground transportation but you can set your own preferences. .......Also once you have your tickets in hand you can always work with the airline to fly at different times.

Having been burned before, do NOT make your own reservations and expect the military to reimburse you unless you FIRST have explicit written authorization to do so. The military's SATO department (scheduled airline travel ofice) will make your official reservations for you, using locked-in contracted government rate arrangements.

Also, you may have difficulty changing your flight dates/times once the reservation is paid for by SATO. You can try, but don't be disappointed if it won't go through especially if it results in a higher charge. Once SATO electronically books and pays for a reservation, it's essentially written in stone. You are, however, allowed to utilize personal frequent flyer miles to upgrade to first class - the law which previously prevented us from doing that on official travel was dropped a few years ago.

Thanks for the feedback on the credit card and flights. Do you happen do know what the deadline is for reporting on the Sunday before OIS (Initial Report Date/Time) and how early we can book a flight out on graduation day? Unfortunately I won't be able to stay on to enjoy Newport. Does anyone have family or friends attend graduation? NROWS is not exactly intuitive. Anyone know what we enter for items like ITEMPO category/purpose, messing options and per diem? There is definitely a learning curve to this official vocabulary...

Alright, here is a question for some of you with recent relevant experience. I acknowledge that it's not a great idea to go out and buy uniforms for OIS, but I have recently been bestowed a large collection of uniforms from a former sailor (academy grad). I am wondering which ones I need and how to prepare them. Should I try to get to Newport some time this spring and get them tailored (hemmed)? Where would I do this and how long should I expect it to take? Thanks for the advice.

Oh, I also heard that during OIS you adress everyone with an, "Ahoy, matey!!" He, he. This is going to be a fun five weeks.

trinityalumnus said:
Having been burned before, do NOT make your own reservations and expect the military to reimburse you unless you FIRST have explicit written authorization to do so. The military's SATO department (scheduled airline travel ofice) will make your official reservations for you, using locked-in contracted government rate arrangements.

Also, you may have difficulty changing your flight dates/times once the reservation is paid for by SATO. You can try, but don't be disappointed if it won't go through especially if it results in a higher charge. Once SATO electronically books and pays for a reservation, it's essentially written in stone. You are, however, allowed to utilize personal frequent flyer miles to upgrade to first class - the law which previously prevented us from doing that on official travel was dropped a few years ago.

Actually, there is a way that you can change your ticketing. Call SATO and let them know that you need to change your itinerary. That is why we have to use Military contract fares that are so much more than any normal person would pay for. They are changeable and refundable. That is why it takes such a great exception to policy to arrange for and buy your own airfare. The great price that you find is most likely non-refundable and non-changeable. I have had to change my travel itinerary on more than one occasion in 10 years on active duty.

BK

Ohoy matey? No I can't say I've ever hailed someone by saying that. OIS or otherwise.

Do not buy the black overcoat. That stupid thing has been languishing in my closet since I bought it at OIS 7 years ago. Goodwill will soon be receiving that monstrosity.

Oh, and the tiara for the mess dress? Yeah, not as cool as it sounds, unfortunately.

I was always a big fan of the tropical uniform. Shorts, pith helmet and knee socks? Come on! Never managed to wear it though...*sigh*