Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

buying used science class books?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by ladyscorpian14, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ladyscorpian14

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    my genetics class book is $153 the lowest i can get it with the cd for new is $123 the rest of the book comes with out the access code and cd how important do u think these items will be .My professor god bless her heart she won't have a lab book for her class. She will post it on blackboard for us to print which means less cost for me same problem with microbiology the used is $65 but the new is $115 :confused: Thanks in advance

2. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Look at the previous edition. Professors have to keep updating the edition of the textbook but most changes from one edition to the next are minor typos that don't affect the content AT ALL. When I taught I told all of my students to buy the older editions to save money. Seriously, a $150 text can go for $20 online for one edition previous.

And ask the professor about the CD and access code. Personally I never used them as a student or as a professor. Really. They are supplemental crap that the textbook companies include to make more money. Nine times out of 10 there is no reason to have them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GoingUp

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree....look for previous editions online. They are a lot less expensive

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. scottyT

scottyT Real Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Seriously, this technique saved me $1,000s in college. My "required" genetics book was also $150 new. The old edition cost me less than $10 delivered. My silberberg chemistry book was $4.25 delivered (like new!) and they didn't even change the order of the practice problems between editions. Campbell biology ran me $7.50 ... same thing. Not very much changes in the basic sciences in 2 or 3 years time.

I used to buy a copy from the book store and order an old edition at the same time. Then I would compare the two to make sure it was going to meet my needs/note differences and just return the book store copy before the return deadline (or, alternatively, you can check for copies of the current text on reserve at your library). If you get stuck with an old edition that you can't use, it's not very much money down the drain.

5. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Silberberg for $4.25?? Just how old an edition was this??!!! :laugh:

OP - this is good advice. Esp. for premed classes. Old editions. Although I got my books for more like $50 - $75 that way, and not under $10, it still saves a lot of money. And you can re-sell them if they are not TOO old...

6. niranjan162

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    before you get older editions make sure ur teacher doesnt use questions from the back for homework. Also those cd's and stuff that come with the books have never been used by any of my profs. So I would just get used even if it doesnt have the cd or wutever.

7. scottyT

scottyT Real Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    It was the 2001 edition I think. I was using it in 2004 ... remarkably not too much changed in the chemistry world in the intervening 3 years.

Check it out, here is the 2004 edition for $3.50 (best price): http://product.half.ebay.com/Chemistry_W0QQprZ45886403QQtgZinfo

and here is the 2008 edition for $118 (best price): http://product.half.ebay.com/Chemistry_W0QQprZ61065187QQtgZinfo

Even if the prof assigns questions from the book, you can usually pick up the reserve copy from the library and Xerox them or mark the corresponding problems in your "old" book. The problems rarely change, the order just gets shifted around sometimes. These old editions are practically free the moment a new one comes out.