Buzz Word Thread - "Oh, that's what they meant!"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlie Hustle

Scut Monkey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In light of recent test takers' emphasis on knowing descriptive explanations of classic presentations (rather than simply relying on classic "buzz words"), I thought it would be useful to compile a list of some of these descriptive explanations we run across during our preparation.

For example, the other day while doing Qbank I got tripped up on a Haemophilus ducreyi question:

Buzz word: "school of fish" pattern
Description: Gram-negative rods in parallel short chains

Looking back on it, the descriptive phrase used was completely accurate; however, I was still tripped up because I hadn't seen it presented like that before.

If any of you come across a cool, odd, strange, tricky, or different description of any classic buzz words, feel free to add them onto this thread. Hopefully, we'll have a pretty solid list compiled by the time most of us sit for our exam.

Members don't see this ad.

In light of recent test takers' emphasis on knowing descriptive explanations of classic presentations (rather than simply relying on classic "buzz words"), I thought it would be useful to compile a list of some of these descriptive explanations we run across during our preparation.

For example, the other day while doing Qbank I got tripped up on a Haemophilus ducreyi question:

Buzz word: "school of fish" pattern
Description: Gram-negative rods in parallel short chains

Looking back on it, the descriptive phrase used was completely accurate; however, I was still tripped up because I hadn't seen it presented like that before.

If any of you come across a cool, odd, strange, tricky, or different description of any classic buzz words, feel free to add them onto this thread. Hopefully, we'll have a pretty solid list compiled by the time most of us sit for our exam.

In that question, did they mention the actual diagnostic test results - did it say chocolate agar?

In that question, did they mention the actual diagnostic test results - did it say chocolate agar?

The QID was OL1520m on Kaplan Qbank. Basically, the question stem gives a description of a male patient presenting with chancroid and wants you to know what you'd see microscopically if you took scrapings from the rash.

No diagnostic test results. Just a description of the lesion (red, ulcerated, painful), the patient's temperature (38.2 C), and PE findings of unilateral inguinal adenopathy. 26% answered correctly.

Again, looking back at the question I feel like an idiot for not figuring it out. The stem was pretty much screaming "It's H. ducreyi!!! What does it look like?!" and I still didn't make the connection between "parallel short chains" and "school of fish appearance". But I guess that's why we do practice questions.

The QID was OL1520m on Kaplan Qbank. Basically, the question stem gives a description of a male patient presenting with chancroid and wants you to know what you'd see microscopically if you took scrapings from the rash.

No diagnostic test results. Just a description of the lesion (red, ulcerated, painful), the patient's temperature (38.2 C), and PE findings of unilateral inguinal adenopathy. 26% answered correctly.

Again, looking back at the question I feel like an idiot for not figuring it out. The stem was pretty much screaming "It's H. ducreyi!!! What does it look like?!" and I still didn't make the connection between "parallel short chains" and "school of fish appearance". But I guess that's why we do practice questions.

Painful = ducreyi = "do cry"

Members don't see this ad :)
Granuloma inguinale --> painLESS --> "intracytoplasmic cysts"

The intracytoplasmic cysts = Donovan bodies of Klebsiella inguinale (Klebsiella donovani)

-----

I mention that because I've seen lymphogranuloma venereum and granuloma inguinale as answers to the same question. Both can cause lymphatic obstruction, and I had gone with the former because Chlamydia L1-3 is notable for that, but the answer was the latter because of the "intracytoplasmic cysts."

Granuloma inguinale --> painLESS --> "intracytoplasmic cysts"

The intracytoplasmic cysts = Donovan bodies of Klebsiella inguinale (Klebsiella donovani)

-----

I mention that because I've seen lymphogranuloma venereum and granuloma inguinale as answers to the same question. Both can cause lymphatic obstruction, and I had gone with the former because Chlamydia L1-3 is notable for that, but the answer was the latter because of the "intracytoplasmic cysts."

Awesome. Thanks, P.