BWH vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

margerita

Medical student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently torn between whether to rank UCSF or BWH first. I was thinking UCSF all along, but then really loved BWH. I prefer San Francisco to Boston, but am thinking I could deal with Boston for a few years for the fantastic training that I'd get at BWH. I am interested in cards and obviously it's heard to beat the BWH in terms of cards training. On the other hand, I love the diversity of experiences that UCSF offers...Any thoughts or opinions are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a common comparison. They are both awesome. BWH is easier on the residents because they have more money, but I'm pretty sure along with that comes a bit more annoyance from med students and a bit more hierarchy. UCSF is harder on the residents because they have less money, but the med students are pretty awesome and the attendings are more likely to enjoy hearing their first names.

I just don't know what to tell you. Make a decision. Flip a coin. You'll be very, very happy either way. I have a feeling from how you wrote that you're leaning towards BWH. If I thought how you did I would probably put that one.

Can any UCSFers (students/residents) comment on how well the hospitals are run, nursing, IT, etc.? Also, how much time do interns and residents spend at each the Moffitt, VA, SFGH a year/ any challenge with transportation, etc with that system? Inconvenience? Thank you for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
the question about how UC training sites run is a bit vague. I think the biggest issue is more that you have to learn 3 systems (4 possibly depending on your clinic as MZ is a bit of its own world). The trade off is that each hospital has its awesome features. Transportation is not really an issue. Live near either Moffitt or SFGH and shuttle to the other and bike or drive to the VA. to the first poster it seems like you want to go the Brigham. I would rank them first if that's what you think will make you happy. I think we get good cards training here, I think cards didactics are good and we take overnight call alone no fellow as the cardiology seniors starting in our second year which is awesome. dont overthink this decision. if there is a particular place where you think you will be happier for whatever reason then go there. residency is hard on both coasts. you will finish and be at the start of being a good doctor at any of the top programs.

sorry just saw the question about time distribution. I would guess about 2/5 moffit/SFGH 1/5 VA. you can also request certain places and it will depend on which program/aoc you are in.

I graduated medical school from UCSF and loved it. Some of my classmates have gone on to the BWH for IM residency and some have stayed at UCSF. I think BWH has much more cardiology training compared to UCSF. More time as an intern on cards and you get earlier opportunities to run a team on cards.
At least that is what some of my friends have told me.

You may want to consider where you ultimately want to live/practice when deciding on residency. Residency @Harvard may make cards fellowship @one of the Harvard hospitals easier to get. Likewise, UCSF residency may make getting fellowship @UCSF, Stanford, or somewhere else in the West that you like a bit easier to get. You kind of can't lose with those 2 programs, though, reputation-wise.

Dragonfly, I think that UCSF has only sent 1 person to Stanford for cards in the last 10 years. That is not b/c of lack of interest. Stanford is probably the best cardiology program on the west coast. I wonder if it has to do with the merge that fell apart years ago. I know residents at UCSF who have interest in Stanford. They don't feel very confident about having an easy road to matching there.