By the way, interesting phone call I got yesterday...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking my fellow PP attendings who have a bit more experience in this game than I do...

As many of you know, I've been in PP for less than three months, and I get a call yesterday from a place I interviewed with late last fall. It was a, "Hey, how's it going? Where did you end up? Are you happy?" kinda call.

Long story short, they said that they were still really interested in me, if things weren't working out where I was. And, the deal at the end of the call was "sweetened" compared to what was offered last year, and about $40K more than I'm making right now.

So, I'm asking the senior dudes: Is this kind of call common? What do you make if it? Do you guys make these calls?

If anybody out there is, I definitely am a "grass is always greener" kinda guy. I'm not perfectly happy with my current situation, but I'm not unhappy either. Hell, I'm still getting settled in and the "getting to know you, getting to know me" phase is in full-bloom.

I doubt that I'll do anything about it, but it's nice to still be wanted. However, this was the slightly uglier sister (at the time I interviewed) that I didn't really want to take on another date. And, I surmise, that they're a little desperate for people... hence sweetening the deal.

Thoughts?

-copro

Members don't see this ad.

I'm asking my fellow PP attendings who have a bit more experience in this game than I do...

As many of you know, I've been in PP for less than three months, and I get a call yesterday from a place I interviewed with late last fall. It was a, "Hey, how's it going? Where did you end up? Are you happy?" kinda call.

Long story short, they said that they were still really interested in me, if things weren't working out where I was. And, the deal at the end of the call was "sweetened" compared to what was offered last year, and about $40K more than I'm making right now.

So, I'm asking the senior dudes: Is this kind of call common? What do you make if it? Do you guys make these calls?

If anybody out there is, I definitely am a "grass is always greener" kinda guy. I'm not perfectly happy with my current situation, but I'm not unhappy either. Hell, I'm still getting settled in and the "getting to know you, getting to know me" phase is in full-bloom.

I doubt that I'll do anything about it, but it's nice to still be wanted. However, this was the slightly uglier sister (at the time I interviewed) that I didn't really want to take on another date. And, I surmise, that they're a little desperate for people... hence sweetening the deal.

Thoughts?

-copro

This kind of call does not happen often. You need to look at the situation. Did someone just leave and they are desperate or are they simply just desperate? I am not try to put you down because I am sure that you are a great candidate. You really need to look hard into their situation. 40k a year more is not worth a lot of heartache. I am sure that you are not starving in your current situation.

This kind of call does not happen often. You need to look at the situation. Did someone just leave and they are desperate or are they simply just desperate? I am not try to put you down because I am sure that you are a great candidate. You really need to look hard into their situation. 40k a year more is not worth a lot of heartache. I am sure that you are not starving in your current situation.

Well, what I meant about the "grass is always greener" comment is that this is what people often think, but it rarely is.

Yes, I'm suspicious of such a call. I don't have nearly enough experience here yet to determine whether or not I'm happy. Secondly, I agree that the place that called is probably just desperate for people. I know that someone recently left there. I'm not exactly sure why. Always a red flag. (And, I just checked gaswork and they've posted a listing there.... uh-oh.)

As far as my capabilities as a gasser? No offense. I'm pretty honest with myself (and everyone around me, in case you haven't noticed). I would say that I'm about an average just-outta-residency grad knowledge-wise who possesses (as I've witnessed both here and in residency) far-better-than-average "monkey skills". People call me, even here already, when they're having difficulty with procedures. I'm getting noticed... in a good way. ;)

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful about this. I friend of mine out on the west coast just gave his notice to quit after another new hire decided to quit several months previous because the senior people in the group are screwing over the new hires. He told me everything the group touted about themselves was a lie. Not on call, he was staying until 7-8 pm almost every night unless he was precall. Interestingly enough, this group is now advertising on gasworks saying that they are needing people because of retirement and expansion, when really it is because they can't retain any new folks. I am not saying that the group you are speaking to is like this but just be suspicious. I swear, the groups that advertise on gaswork are totally shady (from my experience).

Maybe I was lucky, but after just one month I was pretty sure that I was going to really like my group, and a year and a half later I'm still of that opinion. If you are on the fence, or "not sure" after 3 months, you may want to ask yourself why. Is it the group, the locale, not having any hot dates? Whatever. I would stay clear of a desperate group regardless of what they are offering.
Good luck.

Around the end of 2004, beginning of 2005....my group would be classified as DESPERATE.

Although I don't know for sure, but I suspect that we were close to losing out to a contract that a crna was ready to offer.

We offered parity to anyone with a pulse, and no criminal record. A brave few who were willing to step up to the plate, and now they are all happy owners.

Sometimes, the locales with a desperate group, are the places where the opportunities are.....

just another pov.

Maybe I was lucky, but after just one month I was pretty sure that I was going to really like my group, and a year and a half later I'm still of that opinion. If you are on the fence, or "not sure" after 3 months, you may want to ask yourself why. Is it the group, the locale, not having any hot dates? Whatever. I would stay clear of a desperate group regardless of what they are offering.
Good luck.

Sometimes, the locales with a desperate group, are the places where the opportunities are.....

Depends why they're desperate.

Desperate because they pay crap, treat people worse, and have a deserved reputation for dishonesty and cheating new blood?

Or desperate because they're in a area where the Wal-Mart is the height of local culture, and most people don't want to live there?

The latter is where the Navy put me, and all the local hospitals are desperate for physicians of all kinds, including anesthesiologists. I do a bit of moonlighting. Even as a locums guy the pay is high and I'm treated well.

Thoughts?

-copro

Why not take a week of vacation to do a working interview with them? You can make some money and get a better feel for things than you can with an interview. I always hate to close any doors.....you may have stubled into a better position, or you may find out you don't like your current job. A working interview will drag things out a few more months while you evaluate your current job.