BYU AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cander67

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to classify semesters for AMCAS as a BYU student? At BYU we have two semesters and two terms. The semesters are both about 16 weeks long and the terms are both eight and you take them in the spring and summer. Together, the credits from the two terms usually add up to one semester. So I guess my question is for any former BYU students who have filled out AMCAS, which system did you use? I've been thinking about putting the semester system and just counting spring as the mini semester and summer as the summer semester even though it is technically just a term. I even called the AAMC and they couldn't give me a straight answer since BYU has such a weird semester system. I just really don't want to get delayed because of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't you have a pre-health advising office? I would think that since this is such a specific question that they would be in the best position to know exactly what to tell you!

Don't you have a pre-health advising office? I would think that since this is such a specific question that they would be in the best position to know exactly what to tell you!
That's true they might be able to help. I hadn't thought about it since I already graduated so I'm not really on campus but they may know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Totally. Something that neither we (nor AAMC) have any idea about at all will be very obvious to them, since they will have guided literally thousands of people through it over the years. Since you're not on campus, hopefully someone will be around to pick up the phone or respond to an e-mail. Good luck!!

Totally. Something that neither we (nor AAMC) have any idea about at all will be very obvious to them, since they will have guided literally thousands of people through it over the years. Since you're not on campus, hopefully someone will be around to pick up the phone or respond to an e-mail. Good luck!!
For sure I will give them a call thanks!

Does anyone know how to classify semesters for AMCAS as a BYU student? At BYU we have two semesters and two terms. The semesters are both about 16 weeks long and the terms are both eight and you take them in the spring and summer. Together, the credits from the two terms usually add up to one semester. So I guess my question is for any former BYU students who have filled out AMCAS, which system did you use? I've been thinking about putting the semester system and just counting spring as the mini semester and summer as the summer semester even though it is technically just a term. I even called the AAMC and they couldn't give me a straight answer since BYU has such a weird semester system. I just really don't want to get delayed because of this.
That's what I did. Spring as the mini-semester and summer as the summer semester. Didn't have any issues. Let me know if you have any other BYU-specific questions!

That's what I did. Spring as the mini-semester and summer as the summer semester. Didn't have any issues. Let me know if you have any other BYU-specific questions!
Thanks so much that’s a relief!