C&A Fellowships: what happens to programs that don't fill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inveggar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering what happens to programs that don't fill through the match. Does it mean that the existing fellows have to share the increased workload (i.e. new Evals, etc)? Or does the program have to cut back on the amount of patients they see (primarily outpatient)?

I'm asking because it looks like our program might be facing this situation this year. I'm a bit scared as I was wanting to do a lot of moonlighting in my 5th year in order to make up for my lost income/pay back my monstrous medical school debt.

I just don't want to be an intern again because the program did not match.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well. It happened. My program didn't match anyone. Does anyone know what will happen in this instance? My co-fellows are kind of nervous as we have too many patient's in our clinics and it is unlikely that we will be able to deliver quality care. We are thinking of asking our attendings to contribute as well or to request that they hire a PA to help out.

Just seems unfair that we should be doubling up on our workload this year simply because the program didn't fill.

I had planned on moonlighting to cover my debt. I don't know if that will happen now.

Well. It happened. My program didn't match anyone. Does anyone know what will happen in this instance? My co-fellows are kind of nervous as we have too many patient's in our clinics and it is unlikely that we will be able to deliver quality care. We are thinking of asking our attendings to contribute as well or to request that they hire a PA to help out.

Just seems unfair that we should be doubling up on our workload this year simply because the program didn't fill.

I had planned on moonlighting to cover my debt. I don't know if that will happen now.

Every place would handle this differently. Adding a faculty could help. General residents could do more child exposure. Didactic could be cut. Call may increase. There is no good answer unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
More often than not there will be some increase in burden, from increased outpatient loads to slightly more call, to possibly nothing at all..best you can do is to keep the administration accountable. They should be aware that keeping you guys unhappy = future unfilled spots

How can we find which programs did not fill?

There must be an official way to see this. However, my suggestion would be to call/e-mail certain programs/geographical regions where you have an interest to see if they have an opening. There are even scenarios where people decide to leave the child fellowship after PGY4 year.

I'm just really anxious about the possibility of me working like an intern again.