C-based physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student247

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school I will be attending will not accept algebra based physics, so I will need to take the calculas based series. I have never taken a physics course and was wondering if I should take an intro class? How difficult are these classes? I fairly proficient in math--algebra, trig, etc., but like I mentioned earlier, I don't have prior knowledge of physics. Any advice would do?

Student 247

Members don't see this ad.

Have you had any calculus before?? Calc and Non-Calc physics basically cover the same material. The calculus in the calc-based physics is extremely basic. BTW, I noticed that you said "school you will be attending", does that mean that you have already been accepted or what. So to answer your question, I think you might want to take an intro. calc course. It will help, but you can probably pass, or maybe do well, if you dont take a math prep course. I hope this helps.
peace and good luck.

Radiohead,

I'm currently taking Calculas 1, so far so good. I'm glad to hear that the material is the same with, of course, the added calculas. Much thanks for your reply. The school I will be attending means "yes" I was accepted but for a undergradute major I wasn't really happy with. I withdrew my application and have recently re-applied. From what they tell me I shouldn't have a problem; so I'm counting on getting accepted, again.

Student247

If you are taking both semesters of calculus based physics (mechanics and electricity) then you will need to know both differential and integral calculus.