Quantcast

C/C- in Organic Chemistry but I can't retake at my school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aquadent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
On the online admissions pages for most schools, I didn't see a lot of hard cutoffs per subject, but when I looked at the prerequisites for each school through AADSAS, most schools list "Organic Chemistry - 6.0 credits - 2.0 grade"

I'm panicking now because I received a C on my first quarter and C- on my second and third quarters of organic chemistry, but my university doesn't allow retakes for C- or higher. What do I do? Has anyone gotten into dental school with a sub-2.0 average on a prerequisite course?

D

deleted678432

On the online admissions pages for most schools, I didn't see a lot of hard cutoffs per subject, but when I looked at the prerequisites for each school through AADSAS, most schools list "Organic Chemistry - 6.0 credits - 2.0 grade"

I'm panicking now because I received a C on my first quarter and C- on my second and third quarters of organic chemistry, but my university doesn't allow retakes for C- or higher. What do I do? Has anyone gotten into dental school with a sub-2.0 average on a prerequisite course?
Most schools require a C or better on a pre-req course

Likkriue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might have to either petition them saying you need to or take it at another school.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There over 2000 universities in the US to choose from for a retake. D is considered a passing grade and that is the reason some school will not allow a student to repeat a course. A petition to be successful would likely require an act of Congress.

UMich_2018

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Try seeing if it is offered online at a local 4 year university (you would just need to go in to class for exams). I know someone that did this for a prereq and was successful matriculating into dental school

Hydra92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Take it at a cc or online. You'll have to check which schools will accept prerequisites taken at a cc or online. Most schools are pretty lenient, especially if you only need to retake one or two classes.
2) Apply to a post-baccalaureate at a 4-year university. Most have pre-requisite courses such as ochem that you can re-take. However, they're not cheap.

evang751

Reaction score

You have to go talk to the chem dept. chair and ask for a retake and explain it’s for dental school. That should do it.

chemphysicsinstructor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Here is my advice: Before you sign up to retake the course, please study the course material on your own so that you can be sure that you will get a better grade when you actually take it.