C in Biochemistry...any hope...help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shikki79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I need a brutally honest reply. I am a chemistry major and this semester I made the horrible mistake of taking 20 credits. I did this in a semester when I was taking Biochemistry,Physical Chemistry and Differential Equations in addition to three other courses. Plus I also work part time.
Needless to say, overloading was a bad idea and I ended up with four A's , a B in Physical Chemistry and a big fat ugly C in Biochemistry of all classes!!!!!!!!!! This dropeed my cumulative GPA down to a 3.7.
I have not taken the MCATs yet but I won't waste my money if there is NO chance of me getting into medical school.
This is my first C ever, but it is in a course that kinda reflects my ability to handle medical school since it is an medical school class. I'm so disappointed in myself for overloading and messing myself up.
Please let me know if there is still hope.If there is, what type of MCAT scores do I need to compensate for my GPA dropping and the C in Biochemistry.
Please be brutally honest. Real life experiences to back up your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

No chance, give up while you can.

If you really think that one C is going to prevent you from getting into medical school you are totally out-of-touch with reality and I agree with Werry that you should just give up now. Medical school, residency and a medical life in general are pretty challenging and without a working head on your shoulders you'll never make it and in the odd chance that you are somehow able to get through it all no one will ever want you as their doctor anyway. Get a hold of yourself shikki you're acting silly.

PS- You asked for brutal honesty, but your question was so utterly stupid that I'm going to hold back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some people who bitXX about how bad they(usually the same people) did after exams, midterms, finals,etc only to find out that they are the ones getting the perfect scores and stuff. I bet you are that type!

I think you are stressed out a bit. Why don't you
give yourself some room?

hey shikki, you posted this in the pre-allopathic area as well. I'll give you the same reply here.

This may seem like a bad time to present such news to you, being that it's the holidays and everything, but I feel for you. I understand how expensive the application process can be, and for people like you, it just isn't worth it. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but like I said, the dean at Meharry recommends that you take a year or two off, away from school to reevaluate your interests in life, and then perhaps start graduate school to make up for that grade. Otherwise, my dear, you may choose to apply for some local construction work. With your credentials, I think you'd make a very competent drive-thru personality at any Wendy's restaurant. Please do not let your premed failures affect your life...and that of your future baby (yes, I read the other thread, and I wish you the best).

With all my Love and Sincerity,
Anthony Caveman

I have a D in biochem (and in Genetics and Organic II - I retook both, but the biochem grade still stands). I have a C in Organic I (retaken also) and a C in microbiology (still stands).

I have a master's degree in Athletic Training and have practiced as an ATC since 1996.

You MUST kick butt on the MCAT. It does wonders for taking the emphasis off of your bad grades, trust me! I start in the fall - first time applicant, 28 years old (well, as of this Sunday), and my husband is also into MCO with me(same postgrad work, comparable crappy GPA, average MCAT).

Good luck, it can be done, but it takes work.

Hey, I got a C+ in Biochem and I made it into a DO school. So, there is hope. ;)

Don't worry too much. You'll do fine.

Originally posted by shikki79:
•Hi Everyone,
I need a brutally honest reply. I am a chemistry major and this semester I made the horrible mistake of taking 20 credits. I did this in a semester when I was taking Biochemistry,Physical Chemistry and Differential Equations in addition to three other courses. Plus I also work part time.
Needless to say, overloading was a bad idea and I ended up with four A's , a B in Physical Chemistry and a big fat ugly C in Biochemistry of all classes!!!!!!!!!! This dropeed my cumulative GPA down to a 3.7.
I have not taken the MCATs yet but I won't waste my money if there is NO chance of me getting into medical school.
This is my first C ever, but it is in a course that kinda reflects my ability to handle medical school since it is an medical school class. I'm so disappointed in myself for overloading and messing myself up.
Please let me know if there is still hope.If there is, what type of MCAT scores do I need to compensate for my GPA dropping and the C in Biochemistry.
Please be brutally honest. Real life experiences to back up your opinion will be greatly appreciated.•••

Got a C in Orgo I (did not retake), lots of B's in freshman year classes like Genetics and General Chem, and a 3.6 overall from University of Maryland. I got a 26 on the MCAT the first time I took it and had very bad results in the application process. I took a few grad courses with a 4.0, did some cancer research work, retook the MCAT and brought it up to a 29 (9 VR), and got into 2 allopathic schools in 2001 (Tufts and SLU, both off waitlist). Now attend Tufts. I don't know enough about your background, undergrad institution, and extracurricular activities/clinical experience to evaluate what your MCAT score should be, but if you come from a reasonably well-known private or state school and get a 28+ on the MCAT you have a good shot (generally speaking). This is based on what I know of my classmates and other people who got in. good luck! :)

First of all relax. I'm going to dish a little constructive criticism, then tell you why your medical career isn't over, so don't think I'm just bashing you.

If you are going to freak out about 1 C that much, maybe medicine is not for you. Not because you're not smart enough, but because medicine can be far more stressful than a C in a biochem class. If you can't get past getting a C in a class, how are you going to handle the first patient that dies on your watch. Lack of confidence in yourself is not a good characteristic of a physician.

But I'm going to sympathize because I've been where you are. A C will not kill your chances of getting into med school regardless of what others say. I failed cell biology the first time. That's a big fat F, not a C, on a med school type class. Then I got some C's in other classes. Not because I'm stupid, but because I was balancing a 50 hour/wk job, taking 23 credit hours, and having a social life. Did I freak? Maybe for like 2 seconds, but then I got over it. Why? Because there is nothing I can do about those grades. I hadn't even decided on medicine as a career. Now I went to a school that is notorious for being incredibly hard, but whatever. An F is still an F. My GPA was still solid (3+), but it wasn't your 3.7 and it wasn't the 3.9 and 4.0 being thrown around on these boards.

What do you do now? Regardless of what schools may say, the MCAT is VERY VERY important in determining who gets interviews. Friend with a GPA similar to yours but average MCAT didn't get an interview at his and my top choice. I slammed my MCAT (30+), got an interview at the MD school I wanted, and got in the First time. I'll be 25 when I graduate ON TIME. What did my friend do? Went back, slammed the MCAT (30+), got the interview, and he'll graduate with his MD next year.

Research experience can also play a big role. I'm not sure how big a role it played, but I did some research at the CDC, and had a paper published in Lancet. :D Think that had a bigger role than I like to think.

Extracurricular activities are big too. Med schools want a well rounded person. Not someone that is going to study all day. Show that there is more to you than being a book worm.

Most importantly, if you get the interview. Nail it down. I'm a big people person, part of what attracted me to medicine. Plain and simple, I interview well. I knew that if I could get an interview, I would nail a spot. Sure enough, less than 2 weeks after my interview, I got my acceptance later.

So finally... Relax a little, enjoy you undergrad years, remember but don't dwell on past mistakes, and study hard for the MCAT. Good Luck! :)

Shikki, I am with Caveman here. I was browsing through other boards and even saw your message on a dentistry board. I am not sure if you wanted to get coddled or what. Like a 3.7 gpa is really gonna kill your chances to enter medical. I hope you don't overreact to everything like this. Geez, if you have to post the same message all over the place because of one C and a 3.7 gpa then maybe you need to take some time off before applying and get some real life experience. Seriously. No harm intended. You could get a better perspective on things.

To all fellow Pre-med, Pre-Dent, current med/dent students, and doctors,

I strongly believe that our good 'O friend, Shikki79, here doesn't even know what he/she wants to do (med or dent or Optimetry)! He's posting this same "Oh my god, I got a C" post in every health science forum available here with SDN! In addition, he/she doesn't even know if he/she can stay here in the US to continue his graduate education because of his F1 student visa status!

Like I said it before and I will say it again, Shikki79, worry about your eligibility to remain in the US to continue your studies FIRST, then worry about your detremental "C"!

:mad: :mad:

Originally posted by ATC2MD:
[QB]I have a D in biochem (and in Genetics and Organic II - I retook both, but the biochem grade still stands). I have a C in Organic I (retaken also) and a C in microbiology (still stands). QB]••

What do you call the medical student who graduates last in their class?

Doctor.

(heh)

- comments from my troublesome friend tom

Originally posted by shorrin:

What do you call the medical student who graduates last in their class?

Doctor.

(heh)

- comments from my troublesome friend tom•••

On the first day of medschool, what do you call the guy at the top of the waitlist?

Loser.

(haha :)

You've got to get in first :)