C- in GChem, can't retake please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgmitds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I basically blew it my freshman year, and ended up with a C- in Gchem, retook it and got a C- again. I was lazy, and the class was too hard for me at the time. Knowing that schools take grades of C or higher on prerequisite courses, do I not stand a chance at all? The university doesn't let me retake the course, so if I take a gen chem class at a 4 year university just to fill the pre-req, would that be okay? I'm freaking out like crazy, please please help.

Members don't see this ad.

You can relax, one C- is not going to kill you. If you retake it make sure you do better though.

If I can't retake, is there any chance I may appeal, or are there dental schools out there that accepts c- and higher?

Members don't see this ad :)
You may gain acceptance, but is highly unlike you will be able to matriculate without retaking the course.

Even if you blow the top off the GC section of the DAT?
Think of adcoms as demigods; they can accept an applicant with just an elementary education completed. How lucky do you feel that you will be the exception?

Think of adcoms as demigods; they can accept an applicant with just an elementary education completed. How lucky do you feel that you will be the exception?
Well I mean, my elementary school teachers always said I was a special snowflake.

Reactions: 3 users
yeah I'm planning on calling different schools and see what I should do off from that. Since I have a bit more time as an undergrad if I can change things up I will do that. Thanks!

Last edited:
A lot of schools have a C cutoff, anything below that C is an automatic disqualifier. Even if they don't have an official cutoff, you have to remember, you are going up against people that have A's in that class and having taken the class twice, with the same result, doesn't speak well for you. Now, if you have gotten A's in all of your upper level science classes, they may overlook that one (two) grade. What is your overall GPA and your science GPA? When in doubt, take the class at another school over the summer and ace the class.

Yes, I called the universities, and it seems like my best shot is to retake classes at a different school. My GPA right not isn't too high, but I was planning on studying my ass off this year, and I will be able to raise my gpa up to a 3.6 would that be okay?
And My DAT was around 22, and I was thinking of retaking it if needed..