May 8, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This semester, I got a C in Chemistry... specifically, I attend the university of Miami, here the chemistry department is different, in which instead of having general chemistry 1 and then general chemistry 2, they have eternal chemistry all in 1 semester. It's really tough, and there's no choice for students, you have to take it all in 1 semester. As a result, it's extremely tough, and COVID-19 situation made it no different, especially since I came to UM as a Spring admit so this was my first semester here adjusting as well.

I took 17 credits, bio 2, bio 2 lab, general chemistry lab, architecture (for my minor)... all of which I got As in.
I took calculus 1... which I got an A- in (.5% off from an A, sigh)

But Chemistry... I got a C. My professor, doesn't really care because in his opinion "if you hate your grade you could choose to take the credit/no credit option".

But as a premed student, I'm concerned on how this may look for me, being that of all the 6 courses I took, only 1 I randomly selected to make credit/no credit, which also happens to be an important perquisite for medical schools. Would raise a red flag even though yes everyone is aware that this semester was turned upside down by a pandemic.

My pre-med advisor has told me that I can just take the credit/no credit since it's below a B... but I honestly want advice from a group of doctors or other pre-meds who are in my shoes and truly understand the pros and cons. Today is the deadline to notify my school if I choose to do credit/no credit. I only just found out my chemistry letter grade.

I'm a freshman so I do have 6 semester to bring my grade up from a 3.46, I also would of felt more confident if I had all As in all my courses and just that one not so amazing chemistry grade, but I got an A- in calculus 1 which isn't bad of course, but still. I plan to do better and improve in organic chemistry of course, but I'm concerned about this C on my transcript. Is it really bad to have 1 C?

I'm sorry this is long I just wanted to give everyone a full understanding. I'm also a Microbiology and Immunology major, with a second major in Psychology.

I also do admit that I do plan on aiming for top medical schools, coming out of high school I wasn't confident with myself and didn't apply to any "amazing" colleges, I don't plan to do that for medical schools. I plan to shoot for the stars and to put my best foot forward.

Rachapkis

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
One C is hardly the end of the world. However, especially during the time of COVID-19, I would would prefer to receive a pass than a C, especially since some schools are mandatory P/NP in the COVID-19 world.

Last edited:

Nugester

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'd say take the C. If I was reviewing your app, it would look a little weird that you got grades in science + math+ non-science courses that semester but general chem is a pass. I'd ask, what's this applicant trying to hide? Were they going to fail? If you can eloquently state if asked during an interview why you took a pass, then sure, take the pass. Otherwise keep the C.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Jul 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Use COVID to your advantage and take the pass; rock Organic and maybe an additional higher level Chem course to show you can excel in the chemical sciences

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I agree with what everyone has said so far! :) You are correct -- your situation is less than ideal, taking only one prereq P/F is frowned upon, and it is a red flag, so you're in a no-win situation.

The good news is that, when it comes time to apply, one grade is not going to make a bit of difference in the context of your entire body of work -- GPA, MCAT, ECs, LORs, etc. The bad news is that there is no escaping the grade, so just do whatever makes you happy. A C sucks, and a single P during this semester will correctly be perceived as a masked C by the schools, so pick your poison. If it were me, I'd take the P and save the 0.01 on my GPA. Good luck!!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.